Political Satire and Political Jokes

Using his coatsleeve to wipe the blood from around his mouth, Bush then said that he would do everything possible to ensure more U.S. troops die in a senseless war.

Demonstrating bold leadership, he then announced that henceforth U.S. troops would not be given enough armored vehicles, would receive defective body armor, and would be denied even the most basic IED signal jamming devices.

Wow… the news practically writes itself!

“Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody’s face but their own.” - Jonathan Swift.

Sometimes, political satire just works. Jonathan Swift probably ranks among the most vicious of the “poison pens”, but he’s still a great read. Samuel Clemens was kinder and gentler, but no less cutting or entertaining.

Here’s hoping that Forumosans can produce some great original political satire, or share some particularly witty satire that they’ve found elsewhere… without starting any flame wars! :pray:

Seriously, there are some wonderful wits posting here. I’d love to see what people from all points on the spectrum can come up with, so that we can each behold others’ faces, and our own, in that glass.

But please, keep it on message, and do not satirize your fellow Forumosans.

From Doonesbury, by Gary Trudeau (March 14, 2004)

George Herbert Walker Bush (I) speaking to George Walker Bush (II)

HW: Son, do you know why I decided not to invade Iraq?

W: Haven’t a clue, Dad.

HW: Really? I put it in my book.

W: Books are Laura’s thing.

HW: Let me read you some excerpts… “An occupation of Iraq would have incurred incalculable human and political costs… There was no viable exit strategy… Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land.”

W: I don’t recall any of that, Dad.

HW: But it was reported in all the papers.

W: I don’t read the papers.

HW (to himself): Another child left behind (to W): Nice to talk to you, son.

W: Listen, Dad, you’re either with or against me.

[quote=“Jaboney”]
do not satirize your fellow Forumosans.[/quote]

Gotten some complaints, huh? :laughing:

Bunch of crybabies.

That reminds me of the old saying: A court jester’s life expectancy is inversely proportional to how big a fool his king is.

who is that richardm?

“Gentlemen…start your engines…”

That’s the brain of Bush. Karl Rove getting arrested for treason against the USA.

Sandy Berger being taken out of the National Archives after he was observed stuffing incriminating documents in his underwear.

Is that satire?

Fawn Hall. Was that her name?
I bet I can find for Republicans with documents in they pants than you can find Democrats.

No list of satire would be complete without the famous Onion article published before Bush even took office. Nostradamus eat your heart out.

http://chak.org/pages/onion/bush_nightmare.html\

[quote]Bush swore to do “everything in [his] power” to undo the damage wrought by Clinton’s two terms in office, including selling off the national parks to developers, going into massive debt to develop expensive and impractical weapons technologies, and passing sweeping budget cuts that drive the mentally ill out of hospitals and onto the street.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

“You better believe we’re going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration,” said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. “Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?”[/quote]

Of course, relevant to the Sheehan situation, you can check out Bush’s letter: http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2005/081205.asp

[quote=“mofangongren”]Mofa said…[/quote]mofa -
[color=red] * [/color]…Good mofa…goood…

Then there’s alway self-satire, also known as making a fool of yourself:

“You see, not only did the (9/11) attacks help accelerate a recession, the attacks reminded us that we are at war.”

[quote=“spook”]Then there’s alway self-satire, also known as making a fool of yourself:

“You see, not only did the (9/11) attacks help accelerate a recession, the attacks reminded us that we are at war.”

Generally you don’t need to be reminded that you’re at war when you’re at war.

Okay, that one made sense to you. Maybe you can explain where President Bush is coming from on this one:

"Who could have possibly envisioned an erection

Or maybe you can give me a hint what’s going on here:

“I have a record in office, as well. And all Americans have seen that record. September the 4th, 2001, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It’s a day I will never forget.”

Is that why so many of the Bush-bashers still think this darned terrorism problem is a criminal matter rather than a military matter?

[quote=“spook”]"Who could have possibly envisioned an erection

Is that why so many of the Bush-bashers still think this darned terrorism problem is a criminal matter rather than a military matter?

[quote=“spook”]"Who could have possibly envisioned an erection