Poll: Happy in Taiwan? From my Finland experience

As i said, its a global downtrend. Its depressing how those places have regressed, never would have thought that could have happened when i was in china in 2010.

As for the topic at hand, i feel like the majority of locals are pretty happy living in Taiwan and wouldn’t like to consider living elsewhere even if they have experience living overseas.

I saw a video asking such a question, one guys reply: I would rather live in Taiwan, in Germany people just go home in the evening. In Taiwan i can buy ji pai at midnight.

Wai guo ren youtubers?

4 Likes

I was one but mostly chose it for the “very happy” part of it haha. The choices need some work. Also I truly lucked out with my employer here. Will never let them go🤣.

2 Likes

He has a good point.

So your utopia would turn to instant shit if you lost your job ?..Something to think about with the way these answers come in .

I have a very good job and income for Taiwan but it barely registers in terms of how I feel about the place because I feel I got that job despite Taiwan not because of it.

4 Likes

Quite a few Taiwanese colleagues from my company are moving to our office in Switzerland now. I’m placing bets how quick they will come back once they realize they cannot eat out 3 x day or ride scooter to work for 20 NTD in gasoline fee :smiley:
The grass is always greener on the other side, and Taiwanese living in their “island bubble” often don’t realize how good this “Disneyland island” actually is when compared to Europe or US

7 Likes

I don’t think there is utopia for the mere mortals like us. For those who are wealthy enough they can fly private jets and live anywhere maybe. Taiwan has provided me with a decent life. I don’t worry about crime I make a meagre income but I get by. From January I should get back to my normal routine of going on a diving vacation every 7 weeks or so. If I need to go to a local clinic everything is free.

Some people are never happy where ever they are. Such is life. We makes our choices and have to live with that. I don’t look to the past regretting this or that. I’m lucky I could leave city life. Was great to get my business out of Taipei a decade ago. I came from one island to live in Taiwan’s island bubble. I go on vacations to other island bubbles.

Real estate is also expensive in other countries. I have a place that is 1100 ping so space is good. My house and office in separate buildings on same property. My daily stress is deciding what to eat for lunch or dinner.

8 Likes

As I said I answered “very happy”. The next option was it’s “ok”. I would have taken a middle ground if it was an option.

Also if I lose my job it’ll go down but not to shithole, probably to just “ok”.

2 Likes

Depends on who you end up working for take it from me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This gets to an important point. Having a full-time traditional office job can really ruin the experience of living in Taiwan.

Taiwan is a whole lot better without one if you can manage it somehow.

2 Likes

I did it for 7-8 years at least, will never get those years back. It’s not being arrogant either , I’m just saying that because of the lack of leave and also unpaid overtime and getting stiffed on bonuses . If some people have good leave and overtime and reliable bonuses good for them don’t change your job. Fortunately for most of my time I’ve been remote it’s great except social networking can be limited. Being remote also allows you to live in the cheaper sunnier parts with more space.

Yup. Running a business has advantages. Just out for lunch… This view on my way home…

It’s not utopia but it will do.

4 Likes

So the trick to avoid this is keep moving along to a new place when your happiness returns to baseline. Explains all the backpackers that travel the world

4 Likes

The tourism board or National Development Council could actually start using that as their new slogan…

7 Likes

Arguably, a job should never define one’s place in a country. We tend to go about this all wrong in my opinion. I certainly don’t say day job of farming as a plus nor negative for my Taiwan experience. If anything, my being able to do said job is a plus. The sucky job itself was my choice :slight_smile:

The human rights related stuff needs work here. Better than many, not close to good. That is a species problem in my opinion.

Mhmmm. But realize this land mass and this population, you need the sheep to be able to enjoy the peace. Imagine your town became a factory ville. One other rplus for Taiwan, as it happens, is THE EXTREME climate and geography. So exteem, some areas remain unpopulated :+1: frankly, my atheist ass LOVES ghost superstitions for the exact same reason!!!

1 Like

A job defines one’s place in literally every single country.

I get the sense that some people who choose to live in Taiwan think that Taiwan owes them. It’s like hey I moved here so give me my dream job, give me an income at least 3 times the median income cause after all I need to fly “home” every year for a vacation.

My job is to look into the sky and let my mind wander and from way up here is beautiful and blue with clouds rolling. My orders are to sit here and watch the world go by,

1 Like

Close enough to utopia for me. Now driving down that road…

In fairness a job is just one or arguably two words.

I enjoyed the book ‘space and place’ by Yi Fu Tuan. It’s pretty cool, explores various concepts of place. Its jam packed with metaphors, one that stayed with me was that of humans - like spiders - as the architects of their own web of realities. Utopia is perhaps a place in which one finds the means with which to construct ones own utopia. Personally I find the disconnects of space and time, culture in Taiwan to be a challenge. At the same time I find the possibility of finding fleeting utopic moments not unlike that depicted in Satellite’s picture a welcome aspect of life. At the end of the day though I am often awakened from my dreams by distant voices crying barely audible phrases featuring the word ‘waiguoren’ drifting on the breeze.

1 Like

I agree. There can be a lot of entitlement. It is true that when I first came to Taiwan I made five times the median income not working very hard as a humble English teacher. The much lower cost of living back then made things very easy. I can see that times have changed.

Unlike most office jobs here, there was very little BS. You came, you taught, no one bothered you while you taught, and you left. So the money was good enough for me and I had the autonomy and independence during my actual work that I see so many office-bound employees crave. It was a good deal.

1 Like