Poll: Is chewing food with your mouth open polite/sanitary?

No, those were more in family homes. The slurping continues there as well :slight_smile: the surprising thing for me w as all the very strict rules they have for how to eat, put your hopsticks and so on someimes with borderline disrespectful leaning orders. Ramen seemed like a stress release of some kind.

People don’t eat ramen at home. That’s not home cooking, it takes wayyyy too long to prepare the broth.

And if you’re slurping soba or udon, then you’re a peasant. :rofl:

Guy

I think i have have not many that arent peasants then. But many “peasants” are “educated” just not always “polite”.

Another irony is the ones who spray food when eating (like my wife who could be sold as a sprinkler) will always cover their mouths to pick/floss their teeth at the table.

1 Like

I agree, it is not great chewing with mouth open, but some of us have teeth like a 100 year old picket fence, which means the ol’ lip flaps and cheek meat sometimes get in between the clowns and the jokers.

2 Likes

We did often there. Maybe they were just trying to cook different foods for the foreigners?

Not always. I think it’s some kind of flex where table manners don’t apply to those of importance. With all the simpering ass-kissing one witnesses daily, I can see it as plausible.

Interesting. So the theory is dominance?

1 Like

I think it’s the hair.

It only bothers me when they do it to Pasta.

Hmm, plenty of slurpers and gape chewers among the educated people I know.

No, it was stallion type qualities

1 Like

As a general rule, I think you should probably assume I’m posting over your level, and if you look into it or ask questions you might save yourself some embarassment. I phrase it this way in a spirit of friendly reciprocity :wink:

Depends on your culture is not. Sometimes is impolite, sometimes is ok

Lots of whinnying and champing at the bit?

I don’t like watching a foodmill at work, throw in talking and food particles flying around and it’s friggin’ discusting.

Yes exactly :slight_smile: the poll doesnt have room for each culture. There are thousands. Its just to see if you feel it is polite or not (or sanitary or not). The details of which culture are in the replies, such as me asking about a UK influenced culture such as my birth place in canada. It is very impolite. In taiwan it doesnt seem to be impolite. But was mandated during covid, so people are aware of the science part at least.

Thats the point of the poll. Do you feel it is polite (cultural obviously)? And, do you think it is sanitary (scientific reality)? Or you just dont give a fuck because you are alone and wont influence other people?

Ps. Comparing rude to taste is the bit skewed. the 2 are not in the same realm. So that just reads as sellfish to be honest at least on the scientific side. The cultural side gets a pass usually. Like smoking on a plane, tastes so.good for me. But…

1 Like

It depends

Ahh sorry. I think i misread your intent . You mean should have a depends on culture option right? Thats a fair point. Cant edit it now though.

1 Like