Poll on the value of teaching qualifications

Well, when I came here I thought teaching English was all about knowing the difference between a gerund and the illicit pejorative tense. Actually, I never mastered that stuff in detail. It turned out to be not very useful.

On the other hand, being around ‘real’ teachers for a while made tremendous difference to me. Once I started to see classroom management as an ongoing process to achieve a productive relationship, instead of a means of cramming the day’s lesson down unwilling throats, everything became a whole lot easier. It would have been nice to have arrived with an understanding that teaching is leadership and responsiveness to other people, instead of thinking that it was all about me being right and them having to do things my way.

** pedant alert ** Qualifications, as in pieces of paper, are not the same as “knowing how to teach.” Maybe I should have voted for “no difference,” as the question refers to pieces of paper from indeterminate institutions and websites.

[quote=“Loretta”]
** pedant alert ** Qualifications, as in pieces of paper, are not the same as “knowing how to teach.” […][/quote]
YES!

The best advice I have ever received about teaching English in Taiwan was to forget about adopting or conforming to a method. That is, I should develop my own style.
It was a Taiwanese teacher who told me this.
He was thinking the same as Loretta’s quote: KNOW how to teach!
It’s still been the best advice - for me.

I realize that this is easy to say, but difficult in practice. It takes time, the odds may be against you, other teachers who don’t give a shit will be alienated and trash-talk you, etc. So what? Life’s short - start thinking about what you do.

Look at what you do that has a positive (educational) effect on your students. Try it again. Weed out your own ineffective practices. Extend this, expand this and take some time to put it all together.

The next-best advice I have ever read (sorry, I can’t credit the English teacher who was quoted for it in the Taipei Times years ago) was to liken English teaching to stand-up comedy. Maybe he even called it “stand-up teaching”… Usually, this is a conversation-killer and a thread-killer though. It seems that most teachers have no idea what this entails…

(to be continued?)

I’m finding the results of this poll reassuring as I have relatively high qualifications in the EFL industry. However, the comments so far are a bit worrying. It seems that most teachers think that they are right, but as a collective they don’t agree. TBH that was, perhaps, only to be expected.

I’m not as confident as some of you guys. I worry that I may be teaching well, but using an incorrect methodology. The training I have received thus far has definitely made me a better teacher of the communicative approach (particularly task based language learning), that’s for sure. It has also made me more open-minded and accepting of different methods and approaches. On top of this I am definitely more reflective about my teaching. Whether these benefits outweigh the possible ‘incorrective methodology’; I don’t know.

** pedant alert ** Qualifications, as in pieces of paper, are not the same as “knowing how to teach.” Maybe I should have voted for “no difference,” as the question refers to pieces of paper from indeterminate institutions and websites.[/quote]

I’m not suggesting that qualifications are the same as knowing how to teach. I’m asking the question: do people think that formal teaching qualifications improve teaching performance? I’ll try to make the question a little more comprehensible:

Does the process of training for a formal teaching qualification make one a better teacher?

** pedant alert ** Qualifications, as in pieces of paper, are not the same as “knowing how to teach.” Maybe I should have voted for “no difference,” as the question refers to pieces of paper from indeterminate institutions and websites.[/quote]

I’m not suggesting that qualifications are the same as knowing how to teach. I’m asking the question: do people think that formal teaching qualifications improve teaching performance? I’ll try to make the question a little more comprehensible:

Does the process of training for a formal teaching qualification make one a better teacher?[/quote]

Abridged answer: No

Lightly unabridged answer:
Formal teaching qualifications’ purposes are not to make you a better teacher. They are simply to vet you. Being vetted means that your peers have observed you and will give a reference about you within similar environments. You will join other like-minded schools, etc - if you wish.
So, to me, formal qualifications have very little to do with being a better teacher.

Does the process of training for a formal teaching qualification make one a better teacher?[/quote]

It depends on the qualification. Some are designed to teach practice, others are designed to teach theory. If a teacher applies to me with a CELTA or a DELTA I’d be able to predict roughly what they’re able to do in a classroom. If they apply with an MA in Education, not so much. If someone applies to me with no qualifications, I have little idea what they’ll do. They might be able to say all the right things at interview, about the importance of participative learning, for example, then stand and lecture a class for an hour, or get them to do endless boring worksheets.

If you’re recruiting teachers qualfications mean a lot (though not in Taiwan, evidently), upsetting though that might be to those who don’t have them and who think they’re still great teachers. Some quals are better than others, and I have had highly qualified teachers who’ve been appalling, but generally it shows at the very least that someone has had the interest and commitment to go to the effort of actually doing some training in the job they want to do. Of course the practical qualifications are the best. It’s surprising how little teaching practice is actually taught in some of the others. It’s almost as if the people writing them are scared to commit themselves to talking about the nuts and bolts of the job and would rather pontificate about theory.

:popcorn:
Tomthorne, you are safe mate. If you ever doubt yourself enough, come work for me. I’ll hire a qualified person over an unqualified one any day of the week.(if I have spots available) I might fire you if you don’t perform well, but I will put up with it a lot longer than the babble I would have to deal with from someone who has been teaching for years, their students are so great and yet the English ability here remains so bad.

Tomthorne, you are safe mate. If you ever doubt yourself enough, come work for me. I’ll hire a qualified person over an unqualified one any day of the week.(if I have spots available) I might fire you if you don’t perform well, but I will put up with it a lot longer than the babble I would have to deal with from someone who has been teaching for years, their students are so great and yet the English ability here remains so bad.[/quote]

Heimuoshu:
What about someone who has been teaching for years, their students are so great, AND their English ability is superior?

It depends on the qualification. Some are designed to teach practice, others are designed to teach theory. If a teacher applies to me with a CELTA or a DELTA I’d be able to predict roughly what they’re able to do in a classroom. If they apply with an MA in Education, not so much. If someone applies to me with no qualifications, I have little idea what they’ll do. They might be able to say all the right things at interview, about the importance of participative learning, for example, then stand and lecture a class for an hour, or get them to do endless boring worksheets.

If you’re recruiting teachers qualfications mean a lot (though not in Taiwan, evidently), upsetting though that might be to those who don’t have them and who think they’re still great teachers. Some quals are better than others, and I have had highly qualified teachers who’ve been appalling, but generally it shows at the very least that someone has had the interest and commitment to go to the effort of actually doing some training in the job they want to do. Of course the practical qualifications are the best. It’s surprising how little teaching practice is actually taught in some of the others. It’s almost as if the people writing them are scared to commit themselves to talking about the nuts and bolts of the job and would rather pontificate about theory.[/quote]

This pretty much mirrors my thoughts, although I still share the concern of ironlady that the entire TESOL industry could be starting from the wrong place. Making people better at teaching the wrong way. Fantastic driving skills but on the wrong side of the road, kind of thing :slight_smile: .

Going a little bit off topic - if we ignore TPRS and assume that the communicative approach is still the right way to teach, then I would say that the best TESOL teaching cv would show someone who has taken a CELTA a couple of years after teaching and was therefore able to appreciate it more. They then took a DELTA a few more years down the line. The other important point would be the schools they have previously worked at (we all know the good schools and those more likely to be questionable) and the usual list of additional responsibilites. It would be highly unlikely that you’d recruit a bad one with a cv like that - but they are out there :laughing: . As you point out, the odds of getting a bad one are much higher for a teacher who doesn’t have this on his or her cv.

@ heimoshu: Thank you! :slight_smile:

[quote=“IYouThem”][quote=“heimuoshu”]:popcorn:
Tomthorne, you are safe mate. If you ever doubt yourself enough, come work for me. I’ll hire a qualified person over an unqualified one any day of the week.(if I have spots available) I might fire you if you don’t perform well, but I will put up with it a lot longer than the babble I would have to deal with from someone who has been teaching for years, their students are so great and yet the English ability here remains so bad.[/quote]

Heimuoshu:
What about someone who has been teaching for years, their students are so great, AND their English ability is superior?[/quote]
Then I’d say that person would have been as good faster or better than now if they actuallyhad a qualification to start with because it gives them the theoretical knowledge to analyze what is working in their classrooms and what not.

The problem is that these are unknowns. Saying “My students are great and their English ability is superior” may or may not be true. I’m sure it is, I’m sure that you are a fantastic teacher, but there’s no evidence. This is where formally observed practicum, such as on a CELTA or DELTA, comes into play. Then you have documented evidence from an experienced teacher trainer that you can stand in front of a class of students you don’t know and do a good teaching job (good as defined by the teacher trainer).

The problem is that these are unknowns. Saying “My students are great and their English ability is superior” may or may not be true. I’m sure it is, I’m sure that you are a fantastic teacher, but there’s no evidence. This is where formally observed practicum, such as on a CELTA or DELTA, comes into play. Then you have documented evidence from an experienced teacher trainer that you can stand in front of a class of students you don’t know and do a good teaching job (good as defined by the course).[/quote]

Except that standing up in front of a class of students you don’t know is not what teachers (generally) do. Good teaching is about relationships, not about technique. If it were only technique, a machine could do it. Anyone can manage to do a “good job” on a demo or observed class. The acid test is coming into the same classroom with the same students day in and day out and keeping things interesting and effective.

[quote=“ironlady”]
Except that standing up in front of a class of students you don’t know is not what teachers (generally) do. Good teaching is about relationships, not about technique. If it were only technique, a machine could do it. Anyone can manage to do a “good job” on a demo or observed class. The acid test is coming into the same classroom with the same students day in and day out and keeping things interesting and effective.[/quote]

This is an excellent point, and one I’ve made before in relation to the weaknesses of demos. Teaching isn’t about putting on a performance. It’s long term, but that’s very difficult to quantify in a limited time frame which any course is going to be. I would also expect that most teacher trainers should be able to spot a bluffer. Of course, most Taiwanese buxiban owners can’t :slight_smile: which is why guys with great personalities find work over here.

No point asking me, or the majority of people here. Not having been through that process, I can’t give you an informed opinion.

The result of your poll is probably skewed by the fact that people with qualifications are attracted to come and vote yes, because the alternative is to say that they wasted time and money on the course. People who are doing OK without quals probably feel that they don’t need them.

You should probably only ask people who have worked for a few years without quals and then gone away to study formally. They would be able to give you a decent answer about whether it made a difference. Didn’t Fox go off and do a CELTA a while ago? I’m too lazy to dig out the post.

Tons of experience may be worth as much or more than a formal course of study. Walking into your first classroom knowing nothing is unlikely to have a great educational outcome even if it’s painless for you and the students. Qualifications without real experience may not prepare you for the reality, and years of making the same mistakes over and over again does not make you a good teacher either. I don’t think your little bit of informal research is going to help you, as it’s not really the right question to ask of this crowd.

[quote=“Loretta”]
You should probably only ask people who have worked for a few years without quals and then gone away to study formally. They would be able to give you a decent answer about whether it made a difference. Didn’t Fox go off and do a CELTA a while ago? I’m too lazy to dig out the post.

Tons of experience may be worth as much or more than a formal course of study. Walking into your first classroom knowing nothing is unlikely to have a great educational outcome even if it’s painless for you and the students. Qualifications without real experience may not prepare you for the reality, and years of making the same mistakes over and over again does not make you a good teacher either. I don’t think your little bit of informal research is going to help you, as it’s not really the right question to ask of this crowd.[/quote]

Yeah, Fox scored in the top 1% on CELTA and I think he said that he found it very useful.

You’re probably right. It’s the wrong question in the wrong place. Anyway, I’m over my indecisive phase now. I’ve reverted to my confident “I know I’m right” mindset :laughing: .

The result of your poll is probably skewed by the fact that people with qualifications are attracted to come and vote yes, because the alternative is to say that they wasted time and money on the course. People who are doing OK without quals probably feel that they don’t need them.[/quote]

Au contraire. I have a teaching credential. Getting it was the greatest single waste of time and money, and one of the greatest sources of annoyance and frustration, that I have ever had to subject myself to in my life. I had formal education in Linguistics and languages prior to that, but I don’t consider that to be the same as a teaching credential (and neither do most States in the US, or most schools) though I certainly gained much more useful knowledge doing that than doing the substantial number of required courses for the credential. I was qualified to teach all of the teaching-related or subject-related courses I was required to take or have on a transcript to obtain that credential. The ones I was not qualified to teach were things like Biology (really? to teach foreign language?)

Teaching credentials are a cash cow for education departments and an attempt (in the absence of anyone having a better idea) to guarantee a minimum standard for teachers. Unfortunately, they have not kept up with reality in the classroom. They are still mired back in the days reflected in the “Bye Bye Birdie” song when the female lead sings about how thrilled she is to marry a man with an actual degree who would be an English Teacher!

[quote]An English teacher is really someone
How proud I’d be if you had become one
It could have been such a wonderful life
I could have been Mrs. Peterson
Mrs. Albert Peterson,
Mrs. Phi Beta Kappa Peterson,
The English teacher’s wife![/quote]

Bloody right! You’re a teacher, they pay you to be right.

[quote=“tomthorne”]
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts, although I still share the concern of ironlady that the entire TESOL industry could be starting from the wrong place. Making people better at teaching the wrong way. Fantastic driving skills but on the wrong side of the road, kind of thing :slight_smile: .

Going a little bit off topic - if we ignore TPRS and assume that the communicative approach is still the right way to teach, then I would say that the best TESOL teaching cv would show someone who has taken a CELTA a couple of years after teaching and was therefore able to appreciate it more. They then took a DELTA a few more years down the line. The other important point would be the schools they have previously worked at (we all know the good schools and those more likely to be questionable) and the usual list of additional responsibilites. It would be highly unlikely that you’d recruit a bad one with a cv like that - but they are out there :laughing: . As you point out, the odds of getting a bad one are much higher for a teacher who doesn’t have this on his or her cv.

@ heimoshu: Thank you! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I’d argue that I’d still prefer someone with a CELTA even if the communicative approach isn’t the best one. When I did mine about 20 years ago :astonished: we were given a brief overview of the current theories about effective teaching methodology. Although the communicative approach was the one that we practised, I didn’t get the impression that it was the be all and end all of teaching, only that it was thought to be the best one at the time. So I’d say that it’s more likely that a teacher with a CELTA has an understanding that there are different theories of teaching practice that have gone in and out of fashion, that it’s an area of constant research, and that teachers have a duty to keep up to speed with the research and keep thinking about what’s actually working in their classrooms.

I’ve met too many teachers who think that they can teach the way that they were taught 30 years ago and that what was good enough for them is good enough for their students. Too many teachers who start each lesson with ‘turn to page x in the coursebook’ or ‘let’s do this worksheet on the past simple’. Such teachers are generally unqualified and have little humility when you try to explain to them that there may be a different way of doing things. They come out with statements like ‘I do what my students expect. They wouldn’t come back if I made them do group work’ or ‘they’re here for the grammar, they aren’t interested in anything else’ and so on. At the risk of making an over-generalised statement, I’d say that it’s mostly the unqualified teachers who are the most content with their practice with the least cause to be. (I’m speaking about a lot of subject areas, here, not just English language teaching - I observe a lot of crusty PhDs teaching academic subjects.)

Also, when I did my CELTA we were given a lot of very simple teaching tips such as not to give someone a piece of writing and then start talking to them about it (because they will read the text rather than listen to you), or if you have an information gap activity, sit your students back to back so that they can’t see their partner’s information, otherwise they’ll just read it rather than talk to each other. Even without a CELTA, training events give that opportunity to learn ideas from people who have lots more experience than you. I’ve been to sessions with Mario Rinvolucri and other names in the field and learned certain ways of doing things more effectively, such as how to get people to be quiet when you’ve got a large group all talking together.

I’d say a teacher with a qualification is more likely to be open to learning new ways of doing things and having some humility about their practice. If an unqualfied teacher is doing nothing other than teaching their classes - so if they aren’t being observed and receiving feedback and if they aren’t observing other teachers, nor doing any training - then by what measure are they assessing their work? Without having been taught anything about teaching they can only self-assess, and of course they’re going to think they’re pretty good!

(Having said all that I knew someone once who was very proud of their DELTA and thought she was superior to the rest of us. Then one day I heard her remark how she’d prepared a fantastic lesson but her students just didn’t appreciate it. :loco: )

The biggest problem with these conversations are that they tend to be focused around individuals and their opinions or experiences. I have no doubt that Ironlady feel very strong about her wasting her time. I on the other hand found my ventures into TESOL qualifications quite useful.
I still think though that of we remove all the variables we can not control, pick 200 people, put 100 of them through a proper qualification process and then let them teach, that the 100 who did the qualification would be better in general than the 100 who didn’t. Now a few of those who have no qualification could turn out to be the best and a few of those who do have the qualification can turn out to be the worst. That does not change the fact that in general the qualified ones would probably be better and it would be incorrect to say “Hey look. the best one doesn’t have a qualification and the worst one does so therefore qualifications are useless”.
This is what I think might be happening here. Ironlady would be kick ass with and without the qualification. Me …I don’t know. :sunglasses: