Polls for the 2020 election?

Scuttlebutt is that Han is going to get it. I’m praying that is not the case.

I had never heard the term “scuttlebutt” before. Learn something every day.

Based on what?

1 Like

I went past a polling station this morning around 8am close to wan long, and long queues(old ppl). Went with the wife to vote in daan around an hour ago and no queues, nor was there any young ppl.

Having said the above, a lot of young ppl flying in from china and HK(or at least every single Taiwanese I know is flying in), but it is not matching with what I saw at the polling stations…

Young people don’t own property in Daan.

Even if they live there (as renters, or as students) that’s not where they vote.

Guy

1 Like

I am young and own, but yeah, true.

Daan is going blue, no question about that.

Daan is predictable.

It won’t be a battleground or a deciding factor in this election.

Guy

Although, a fair amount of young ppl have their hukou in daan despite living somewhere else… Not sure how common that is, but I know some who live in e.g. kaoshiung and are coming back to Taipei to vote.

I have a tough time believing the Hanster can make up his polling deficit, but the stories about the polling lines don’t fill me with confidence. I guess we’ll know in 2 hours or so.

2 Likes

The results will come in later than that.

To discuss results as they come in, follow the Bear:

Guy

1 Like

I know of a large group of old people who flew in last week as part of a large group associated with a well-known religious organization. All hold passports outside of Taiwan, none have paid taxes here in decades and all are voting for the fish. Money for old people = money they can donate to the gods.

I have seen a lot of reports of long lines but haven’t talked to anybody who has been required to wait. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an off-year election in a democracy have a larger turnout than a year in which people at the top are voted for.

Taipei city ? Normal. Taipei residents are mostly older people.

Absolutely hysterical, considering what China does to religions. But then again, they’ll probably be dead when China starts implementing their “state-sanctioned only religions” law, so why should they give a shit?

Honestly, it’s the same as Trump getting voted in. A bunch of old AF people who are too short-sighted to see farther than a decade.

6 Likes

Honestly, I am baffled: they don’t live here, but want us under the regime. They escaped the regime, came here, made money, left for greener pastures and only come to vote? Why? Sigh.

2 Likes

Relax. At least your doom and gloom prediction for the election was way off. :grin:

5 Likes

Man, it was scary for a bit there. It was until 8 pm that the tension kind of fell off but man, I actually thought we were toast.

A bit before that time, I had a foreign visitor frantic on Messenger: why some media says Tsai won and some Han won?! My stomach sank. Then proper results trickled in. I started writing my report like at 10, after checking and rechecking.

Now I can’t sleep and I do not want to take my blood pressure. At least the headache is gone.

I mean, they pulled all stops, bringing people from abroad, media campaign, etc. Cherry on top was having Ms. Chen last night before last on the podium screaming Make the DPP lose! I was really scared, I mean, she is like TIME magazine famous, chosen as philanthropist, etc. I though thats it, she did it.
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985237,00.html

1 Like

Huh? It was never even close once the votes started coming in.

2 Likes

You’ve been inside the Borg too long. It’s affecting your sanity. :sunglasses:

Now you need to relax and take some me time. Enjoy the good news and catch your breath.

Oh, and Time is crap…you should never take it seriously. I should now, I used to work for them.

1 Like

I’m with you. I’m around a lot of military folks and retired cops, teachers and such though.

1 Like

Cosplay lady got elected as well. #NationalCosplayHoliday