Pollution in the winter in Kaohsiung?

I wonder why Kaohsiung doesn’t do anything about it. Seems to continue to be a problem, there is enough evidence and scientific literature that air pollution is extremely dangerous. People tripped out over covid but are ok with air pollution slowly killing everybody.

1 Like

Perhaps this practice is not helping the air quality.

Guy

or burning paper that magically floats to heaven so grandma can buy herself a new pair socks in the after life. Need that new candy cotton lion king pair of socks out the claw machine in heaven.

Maybe this is real shit an we’re all the fools, but it looks a bit sketchy to me.

p.s. im not shitting on tw culture(kind of am) but I do shit on all culture equally.

1 Like

Or a traffic system designed to keep people idling at red lights, or racing to catch the next light so they don’t have to wait again

It is the biggest reason we moved away. My lungs are fucking shot. I cough up oysters a few times an hour, everyday even now. and I left years ago! Everytime we go back we just feel the drain of smog. sticky, moist, thick air.

Suprising how people still try to deny/defend it sometimes. But seems more and more are waking up about it. Or at least i notice more people discussing it and accepting it as a reality.

1 Like

logic and science isnt always everyone’s cup of tea :slight_smile:

Air quality is really good in Kaohsiung now.

It was toxic last week, but been very nice for a few days and today is downright green!

I’d rather live where you live, though. Hope this lasts all winter!

That looks better. hope it lasts!!

1 Like

It is illegal in Taiwan and government heavily discourages it. they have also developed new micro organisms to break down the dead straw specifically to try and get farmers to stop burning. it’s probably still free. but it takes I think 3 weeks they said. many farmers arent willing around our area :frowning:

Often though, farmers arent punished. they are left alone unless reported. So the only real way to get them is through society reporting them.

my worry with burning organics is the chemicals they use on the crops, and all the household/commercial/industrial waste that are in ditches and used in flood irrigation then also getting burned up and becoming air borne :frowning:

1 Like

And dont forget all that plastic farmers are using these days. Crazy.

1 Like

It’s all about the wind. If the wind is from the east pollution would be bad in Tainan and Kaohsiung. The government can’t control the weather.

UH huh.
I smell methane gas blowing my way.

AQI is green in Kaohsiung now.

My lungs got destroyed in Kaohsiung too. I had pneumonia on a yearly basis there and was hospitalized twice for that.

Taiwan is lucky it is a relatively narrow small place and surrounded by water with relatively large quantities of both wind and rain. The pollution we create is way worse than the pollution we notice.

That is not true at all. There are many mountainous terrains which block winds and make pollution worse. If it was flat like Great Britain there wouldn’t be much pollution at all, at least we wouldn’t notice it.

I think this is true for any country really. It makes it easy to ignore the issue.

Yes, indeed there are micro pockets that collect it. That is not making pollution worse…it isnt creating any new pollution. It just concentrates in some “dead zones”. That said, the majority of the pollution is created in the flat lands, and much of that blows away or washes down. Think Kaohsiung city. Just imagine the pollution usually there in dry season. It is open and coastal and still fucking terrible. There are no excuses there… Of course, lots gets trapped in pockets, especially where the mountains meet the plains, going into the mountians it ain’t half bad all things considered. Which simply reinforces my above point. So much of what is created leaves and it is STILL terrible… Even in the open flat lands.