Poor English translation of laws

Latest three examples on the forum. If you remember / find anything else, please share.

First two examples don’t make sense and the 3rd example is highly confusing.

Article 57 of Household Registration Act

Nationals who have reached the age of 14 years shall apply for citizen’s National ID Cards; and who are under 14 years old shall apply for citizen’s National ID Cards.
有戶籍國民年滿十四歲者,應申請初領國民身分證,未滿十四歲者,得申請發給。

Article 9 of the Nationality Act

Foreign nationals shall not be allowed to reside in Taiwan prior to the submission of a certificate of loss of original nationality as prescribed in the preceding two paragraphs.
未依前二項規定提出喪失原有國籍證明前,應不予許可其定居。

Article 11 of Nationality Act

ROC nationals shall lose their ROC nationality, subject to approval by the Ministry of the Interior, if any of the following circumstances apply:
中華民國國民有下列各款情形之一者,經內政部許可,喪失中華民國國籍:

4 Likes

1 Like

I checked recently, and I think my wife is still married to me. This week she got a fresh Taiwan passport. And I’m a filthy weiguoren. Does she have to relinquish the passport?

2 Likes

Hey, it is listed in the OP.

2 Likes

I’m blind :rofl:.

勞動基準法第 9-1 條
Labor Standards Act Art. 9-1

未符合下列規定者,雇主不得與勞工為離職後競業禁止之約定:

An employer shall not make a after-resignation business strife limitation agreement with an employee unless the following requirements have been met:

They’re talking about a post-employment non-competition agreement.

1 Like

Where did they find those translators?
I want my tax money back

2 Likes

I’d like to be a translator for future laws. I’ll promise to make them even more confusing!

I’ll stop paying tax if that happens :joy:

Many restrictions and regulations on COVID-19 must be poorly translated and causing confusions.

1 Like

Even in mandarin they seem to be written ambiguously and open to interpretation.

1 Like