Poor man who can't divorce his naggy wife

I was reading this article and thinking about this poor man. He can’t divorce his naggy wife, but he could move away. He shouldn’t be “forced” to live like that. Poor kids also. Articles like that just give me more determination to not get married.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003551958

Family law here is warped, man. There is no “no fault” divorce, so people cannot get divorced due to “irreconcilable differences”. Hence, getting a divorce is not only a blame game, but also an illogical hardship. Man, at least in Latin America they had religion as excuse. Here, I’d use the feminist argument -women viewed as property- if they got alimony or something, but custody is another can of worms. True, using the kids as weapons/props/hostages is something Western couples are also guilty of, but the legal mess here, is unbelievable, leaving those in the middle in helplessness and vulnerability. Awful.

The news would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Felt sorry for the wife.

Good decision :thumbsup: The guy sounds quite selfish…marriage is two people --together— not 1 person doing whatever they like, regardless of how their partner feels.

I don’t understand why, in this situation, the wife would WANT to remain married. It sounds like a miserable living situation all around.

Divorced or not, the problem is still the same, he doesn’t want to spend more time with her or talk to her. She makes his life miserable and he wants out. He will find a way to freedom somehow. She can continue being married in paper but she can’t tie the man at home, at her side if he doesn’t want to.

If, when it first started, he had have spent more time at home instead of going out to [strike]drink with his mates and screw his mistress[/strike] business social engagements, it probably never would have happened. I feel sorry for his wife, while I can’t understand why she’d want to stay married to him, it appears to me that he’s mostly to blame.

Yes, bizarre, isn’t it? Sounds like even the kids want it to just stop. I think there are plenty of people who think that marriage makes the partner their property, body and soul. “And if I can’t have you, nobody can!”.

If both parties agree a divorce is very easy in Taiwan. Just sign a document, have it witnessed and register the divorce.

True. However, Taiwan’s consent divorce is not the same as no-fault divorce. No-fault divorce does not require the spouse seeking the divorce to obtain consent from the other spouse for the divorce.

If both parties agree a divorce is very easy in Taiwan. Just sign a document, have it witnessed and register the divorce.[/quote]
That’s a pretty big if.

I can’t see any value in marriage, in and of itself. In contrast, it is easy to see the value in a good, long term relationship, especially if children are involved. No contract is required for that - unless, of course, you don’t trust your partner, in which case you’d opt for the contractual obligations of marriage. I’m not cynical enough to get married.

:whistle:

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]
I can’t see any value in marriage, in and of itself. In contrast, it is easy to see the value in a good, long term relationship, especially if children are involved. No contract is required for that - unless, of course, you don’t trust your partner, in which case you’d opt for the contractual obligations of marriage. I’m not cynical enough to get married.

:whistle:[/quote]

While I love being married, I totally agree with you. In this day and age, marriage isn’t really necessary and can be more of a difficulty than anything else if the couple decides to part ways.

If both parties agree a divorce is very easy in Taiwan. Just sign a document, have it witnessed and register the divorce.[/quote]

Great “if” there, but I guess there can be.

But it still has to go through a judge, right? And what if they get a dinosaur judge?

Great “if” there, but I guess there can be.

But it still has to go through a judge, right? And what if they get a dinosaur judge?[/quote]

No judge is needed if it is consensual. You sign and register the divorce. That’s it.

Dong, so when they get the judge, it’s when things have gotten nasty/will get nastier.

Being married to the wrong person is hell. And its quite common this sad situ.

My first marriage didnt make it to the second anniversary !

Im hoping this new one im embarking on makes the grade :slight_smile:

Its a shot in the dark, you wont really know if it will work until you are in it.

At least we haven’t got the South Park naggers sketch yet.

From general observation of the folks I know, it seems that Taiwanese women see nagging as almost a duty once you are married. I’ve seen a few similar threads on the issue here. Maybe the judge was just trying to lighten his workload. If he grants a divorce for reasons of “nagging”, the courts will be full. That said, this woman is obviously a psycho if she’s banging on the doors and windows while the guy is trying to sleep.

There is only one reason for someone to make this remark is that the person may be Taiwanese man and thinks going out every night drinking and messing around and leave his wife to raise the children and his parents is God given right to him.

I have never heard my American friends’ husband can go out drinking, come home late at night, not communicate with his wife and can get away with that kind of behaviors. Nagging and banging on the door are light treatments. (I do believe that nagging is such a self-degrading behavior, just hit him where it hurts, man understand that. Nagging! Not so much! One ear in, One ear out)

Man like that is not usual in Taiwan. I see so many in my own family. My uncle’s wife packed her bags on the day of her last child’s wedding day and left my uncle at the end of the day. She had money but put up with him because the stigma attached to children with divorced parents. My uncle is in his 70’s, his wife and his son does’t talk to him. Everyone in the family laughed behind his back, we all know he was a jerk. He is going to die of a lonely old man.

The guy is obviously a loser too - but that’s not the point, surely? These people shouldn’t be married, and the judge is just making everyone’s life miserable.

[quote=“jmcd”]

Man like that is not usual in Taiwan. I see so many in my own family. My uncle’s wife packed her bags on the day of her last child’s wedding day and left my uncle at the end of the day. She had money but put up with him because the stigma attached to children with divorced parents. My uncle is in his 70’s, his wife and his son does’t talk to him. Everyone in the family laughed behind his back, we all know he was a jerk. He is going to die of a lonely old man.[/quote]

You mean UNUSUAL?

And on nagging, have you read this?
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=106252&hilit=abusive+wife

And the old “We stayed together for the children’s sake” bit sickens me a little. Living in a home where two parents don’t love each other is hardly a better option. The kids grow up thinking that this is what married life is supposed to be. Not that you are supposed to love your spouse, but you should put up with it.

Apologies for the generalisation. Perhaps many Taiwanese women would have been better.