Pop Will Eat Itself

I just wanted to add to Hex’s original post:

Fuck Avex Trax. Fuck them hard and fuck them long.

I spent good money a couple of months ago buying the new Wu Bai live CD. I saw it was copy protected, but just kinda went “pfft, whatever, that protection’ll be cracked/crackable by now” and took it home. I get home, put my few hundred NT worth of plastic into my CD player, and BAM, not a fucking thing. Can’t even read the goddamned CD. Now what’s the bloody point of buying a CD if your actual CD PLAYER can’t play the damned thing? Ironically, the only thing that could read it was my computer. I then proceeded to spend half the night working out how to rip the CD I just legally purchased just so I could bloody listen to it. So basically fuck Avex Trax, fuck their copy protection, and fuck these stupid ideas that probably put more people off buying than off pirating.

Can’t you just take it back to the shop and kick up a stink? It doesn’t play in a CD player? WTF is that all about? A CD player is the only thing I have that’s capable of playing a CD.

Yeah, but the cockgobblers in charge of Avex were smart enough to put a warning on the CD case, which would let them off without giving the noisy laowai shit - it says quite clearly on the CD case that it may have problems with some players. WTF kind of mental retardation could’ve got them to consider doing that? That sort of shit is why people keep pirating.

So there you go. Either you buy a new CD player specifically for that disc (how do you know which kind, btw? Do they tell you bands and models?) And you’d need another CD player for the car, of course, or else you don’t buy it, or else you pirate it. Either of those last two ways, of course, means that neither Wu Bai nor the record company will get any money in any case, so why NOT just pirate it. At least ONE side would be happy rather than neither side. Matthew?

[quote=“sandman”]Matthew?[/quote]Um… yes ? What do you want ? Can’t you see I’m busy ?
Copy Protection is a poof, you should be able to play it on what you want when you’ve bought it, in the car, on the computer or on a MP3 player, but not give copies to everyone else. Philips won’t let them put the CD logo on them because they don’t follow the CD standard, they are technially not CDs, therefore protected CDs shouldn’t be in the charts, or be on the same shelf in the shops as CDs, and you should take it back to the shop, and get your money back or an unprotected copy. Try doing that in Taiwan :unamused:
Sony Japan has realised that copy protection is counter productive, that story mentions that Avex Japan has also stopped protecting its CDs, and that the Japanese respect copyright more, coincidence ? :ponder:

Do you believe that this silliness is just a way for the record companies to force consumers to buy music via the internet; thus saving them money on production, advertising and distrubution costs? I do.

I honesty think that in a few years time people will not have a “record collection” but just a device (or many) that plays music. I for one like to hold the product in my hand; I still remember how excited I was to buy my first vinyl album at Woolies then rush home and play it.

I love having a music collection to brows through, whether on CD, vinyl, mini disc, cassette ( :blush: ) but I also believe people want convenience and portability. One thing that worries me is the stability of hard drives, MP3 players etc. What happeneds if your device goes tits up and you lose all your music? Will the record companies replace it? NO, I don’t think so.

Consummers will always lose out, it’s how companies survive isn’t it? We made the transition from tape and vinyl to CD, now we have to make the next step. I strongly believe that having all your music in one place is dangerous, and agree that you should be able to make one “Hard copy”.

I really hate the thought of having to pay for my music over and over again, with a collection of around 1,500 items, that’s a fair bit of money I’ve invested over the years. The question is not “How do we crack the security codes?” but "What can be done to safeguard my music for the next 50 years?’ I for one hope I’m still enjoying Miles Davis when I’m 80, but on which format? Who knows?

L :smiley:

The sticker means “Don’t buy this CD, you won’t be a ble to listen to it. We’re ripping you off again. HAHAHA!”

Fuckem. I hope all record companies go bankrupt tomorrow. And fuck all these idiots who keep saying there was no music before record companies and that like the music would all die man and oh my god the struggling artist, man. What fucking label was David on when he played his harp in front of King Saul? I ask you… :unamused:

Deram, Hexuan. Sheesh, and I thought you knew your music… :unamused:

Another exampleof all this protection gone overboard is the DVD region system. So if I travel form country to country, and have friends around the world sending me DVDs as gifts. Am I supposed to buy 5 different DVD players to watch my DVDs on. Mightn’t some people actually spend more on DVDs if they didn’t have to woryy about the people they’re sending them to not being ableto watch them?

Yep, I’m a terrible criminal. I’ve downloaded, that is to say stolen, loads of music off the internet. But:

I have never downloaded music I would have otherwise bought.
I have bought several albums, that I would not have if I had not had the chance to first ‘sample’ them via download.

What a crime. Noone has lost a cent through my actions, and in fact some labels ahve actually made money thanks to my downloading.

Brian