Popping Leg Joints as a Result of Running

I very much enjoy running but find it leads to a frequent need for me to pop my ankles, toes, knees, etc. It sounds like Chinese New Year. Relevant comments?

I went running for the first time in about a month the other day, and yesterday I heard my knee pop as I was standing up. Now it feels a bit abrasive. I can hear a soft grinding sound as I bend and straighten my leg. Has anyone had this problem? Will it go away? Should I apply a heated or ice pad (never remembered which should be applied), or even go see a bone doctor?

Beginnings of arthritis … pain won’t hit 'til you are older than you’ll say ‘Damn … that’s what that was.’

Do your own research, make your own choices. Every choice involves a trade-off. (Swimming is less abrasive on the joints, but not a viable alternative for many running addicts.)

I went to see an orthopedist yesterday just to be safe. He ordered some x-rays to be taken and after looking at them, he said there was nothing to worry about. He then showed me some rehab stretches that I should do every day and didn’t prescribe any medicine. I asked about the possibility of arthritis, he asked me which quack doctor told you that? I said, oh just a friend. :blush:

I have this in my left knee only. I’ve been told its ‘osteo-arthritus’, but I’m not sure whether to believe it or not. I’m fairly sure its the result of slight scoliosus, and I’m fairly sure regular physio and the right kinds of stretch / exercise could fix it, but alas, I don’t live in Australia.

[quote]I have this in my left knee only. I’ve been told its ‘osteo-arthritus’, but I’m not sure whether to believe it or not. I’m fairly sure its the result of slight scoliosus, and I’m fairly sure regular physio and the right kinds of stretch / exercise could fix it, but alas, I don’t live in Australia.
[/quote]

Don’t let that stop you. There are some hospitals that offer bery good physio. You have to try and avoid getting caught up in the health INDUSTRY side of things, but I had an excellent outcome following the physio program designed for me at the Veterans’ hospital in Tienmu for my back.

Let’s talk about prevention for a moment. While warm-up before exercise is important, most people tend to overlook the warm-up of joints, such as knees and ankles, and focus instead on muscles only. After you do all your stretches, a good way to warm up the joints is just starting out slowly and then gradually increasing the speed.