Popular TV shows you could never get into

I don’t think there’s a thread like this. Not limited to American shows, btw.

I’ll name one: Game of Thrones. I just can’t stand that show.

1 Like

They would let you into that one. You could be Brienne of Tarth.

I also never got into GoT, or “Game of Thongs” as my mother calls it in her accented English.

There’s a lot of really popular and/or culturally significant TV that I’ve just sort of skipped out on. The first one that comes to mind is The Office. I just never bothered with it, and now I feel like I’ve already seen all the funniest parts in the form of random clips, reaction gifs, and memes, so what’s the point?

Game of Thrones does take a few episodes to figure things out because there’s so many damn characters all in the first episode. I read the book before watching the series and imagine how confused I was.

A few TV series I haven’t gotten around to is Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, and the Sopranos.

I hear good things about them, but just can’t really get myself to start them.

I have seen the first episode, then caught a few episodes on tv from time to time. Every time I got so turned off by the constant rape, nudity, and violence. I’m not saying that a show or a movie can’t have any of that, but GoT strikes me as very try-hard edgy. Like if they tone it down by 50% they’d lose 90% of the viewership.

Another super popular show I couldn’t get into is Narcos. I’ve seen the first episode with a fan friend and the whole time I was waiting for it to end.

I also didn’t like Poldark. Cornwall looks stunning, but everything else was so unbelievably melodramatic.

Breaking Bad and the Sopranos are pretty standard Good TV Drama, alongside The Wire. Can be really depressing to watch, though. I used to watch things like that a lot but now I’m kind of over the whole drugs and crime and violence thing. I’d rather watch something light…

1 Like

I can see how some people can be put off by that. I really don’t watch it for that reason or better yet, it’s def not something I would list as a reason for watching. I’ve always been a fan of fantasy, so that’s what really got me hooked.

I know exactly what you mean. I like to wind down or relax when I watch a movie or a series, so I don’t really choose to watch anything too dramatic or slow.

Despite it’s how ridiculous Andy Sandberg’s character is, I was pretty happy to come across Brooklyn 99 on Netflix and used it as my winding down show.

There are things to look forward to:

https://screenrant.com/dark-tower-wheel-time-tv-series-amazon/

I think I’m going to start Wheel of Time again. Still saving Dark Tower 7 lol

Any tv series revolving around the U.S. white house, president, vice-president, whatever… ZZZzzz

But Benson was pretty funny (sitcom about a goofy governor and his sarcastic african-american household affairs assistant) from early 80s

2 Likes

The American Office, cos I have seen most of the British already.

House of Cards, the West Wing…See above .

Breaking Bad…Because I know he is breaking bad already so what else is there to know ?

But I do want to see the Wire, I have high hopes for that.

I was big into the Vikings but when they conquered Paris and their leader died again it was, what’s the point, I think I’ve had enough Vikings already !

I remember liking it. Soap spinoff!

Best show ever.

1 Like

Biggest surprise for me was becoming completely hooked on Game of Thrones. Initially thought it sounded like a load of cobblers I only started watching it by the time season 4 came out. Then I watched the whole thing in about two months .

I could never get it into the Cosby show. Always made me doze off… Could never get into the 3rd season of Fargo either. The first two seasons just set such high standards.

I watched The Wire front to back (again) last summer. I think that if you want to see it you should do so quickly. It’s become a bit dated with the advent of smart phones and the death of print news, frankly.

The list of TV shows I could never get into is far, far longer than the list of TV shows I liked. And my opinion of some shows changed during their run, too (The Walking Dead became that in its sixth season and I quit watching; I stopped watching Game of Thrones when they got ahead of Martin’s novels). I thought the first season of American Horror Story was great, but for me it became unwatchable in season 2. Never went back. Lots and lots of TV shows like that for me.

The Wire is really good. Sad and good and IMO realistic.

1 Like

Liked the first CSI series with William Petersen (first saw him in the movie To Live and Die in L.A.) and Marg Helgenberger (first saw her in China Beach). The other CSI spinoffs I could never get into. Too many cities. Needed a Cracker Jack decoder ring to figure out who was in what city.

Speaking of the same, albeit scrambled, acronym letters +N, I could never get into NCIS, though Mark Harmon’s other stuff is mostly good.

Do young people these days still watch TV and Netflix? I thought you guys all shifted to Youtube, Snapchat and Chaturbate.

Is Chaturbate still up???

I forgot about this. I saw one episode of season 1 and I could barely finish it.

I also can’t stand Shonda Rhimes shows. I was an avid fan of Grey’s Anatomy until a few years ago. Idk why I was even watching this mess in the first place. Her shows are so fucking melodramatic it’s unreal.

As a kid:

MASH (I like the movie though)
The Andy Griffith Show (Only liked the theme song, otherwise it bored me)
Happy Days (Nothing against it, only liked the Fonz)
Flipper (some days I could watch it)

Most modern(ish) shows I either can’t get into or just don’t have the time for:

Game of Thrones
True Detective
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Lost
Etc.

I watched the first episode of GoT and found Sean Bean good in it, and liked the idea of the wall and the frozen wasteland with beasts beyond it, but otherwise it was corny. The Wire seemed dull in all honesty. The list goes on. I’ll watch reruns of Seinfeld, Columbo, Magnum PI, Adult Swim, the Twilight Zone, and more gladly though.