Popular TV shows you could never get into

Yeah, I’m not sure I would have watched AHS’s first season if I had watched only one episode. If memory serves I didn’t swallow the hook until (roughly) 4 or 5 episodes in.

I remember the same thing happening with me and season 1 of AHS. It went from being weird and off-putting to suddenly compulsively watchable. My mom and I binged the whole thing in two days. But yeah, it all went to hell after season 1.

The main problem with TV is too many shows don’t know when to stop. They should just end it when they run out of ideas. Quit when you’re on top. Don’t let it die a slow, painful, unwatchable death. I have a theory that Matt Groening sold his soul to the devil to be able to see into the future, but in exchange he had to agree to continue making The Simpsons forever even if it became hot garbage. And well…

Many months ago I started to watch Sherlock. Despite its absurdness and pretentiousness it was enjoyable. However, starting from some season I towards the end it was just too much. I often fell asleep when watching it and I couldn’t enjoy it any more.

Reminds me of another show I quit on, Ripper Street. First season was really good even though it was slightly cringe-inducing in a few spots with some fairly heavy-handed attempts to teach viewers about late-Victorian Whitechapel, London. In season two the BBC allowed the heavy hand of education to get the upper hand over straight entertainment, I thought. Anyway, it became unwatchable.

Man… That show is so good

I’m rewatching it with my son. The Chicken Man is/was hands down the scariest dude to ever grace television. WW was a clunky imitation.

The Wire: Really good, and stayed really good and quite realistically sad right up until the end…however it got a bit to conspiracy bugged for me in the later seasons.

Haven’t watched AHS or Walking Dead in years. I do remember chanting Just Kill Carl.

It took me a long time to accept the genius of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I have never ever seen even one full episode of Mad Men or GOT.

Interesting that on a Taiwan-based forum, everybody is talking exclusively about Western TV shows. I guess the unspoken assumption is that Taiwanese television is completely unwatchable. And for the most part, it is. My list would include all Taiwanese variety shows, dramas and travel shows. If I was a captured spy, all you’d have to do to get me to talk is strap me in a chair and make me watch Taiwanese variety shows.

Popular Western TV shows I find completely unwatchable are American Office, House of Cards and Grey’s Anatomy.

1 Like

Yeah its pretty sad given some of us can understand Chinese too. Just terrible lack of content.

No I don’t want to see a show about a waishengren village in the 1950s or a girl who has psychic powers at the temple, obviously some people like that stuff though. And that’s the better rated Taiwan productions.

Best TV shows of the last decade:
Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and the Americans

Don`t understand the Hoopla:
Game of Thrones (loved the lewdness and violence but got bored of the storylines), Orange is the New Black (too clean for my liking—OZ was the only prison show that was gritty good!), Cosby Show (unbelievable and pretentious), Home Improvement (yawn) and Friends (a show for simpletons).

There are some good (short) ones recently. I don’t watch them though. I’m not interested.

Btw if you go on the EA series board, of course ppl there would only be talking about American shows. There are different boards for local shows, Chinese shows, Japanese shows and Korean shows as well.

More television shows I could never get into:
Dexter
Lost
Leftovers
West Wing (actually pretty much anything on prime-time, non-cable US tv)
Orange Is the New Black
House of Cards
Penny Dreadful
Dr. Who
Friends
Anything on PBS

1 Like

Rick & Morty

I gave it a couple shots, but I just don’t care for it.

1 Like

I’ve also seen a few episodes. I get the appeal but I am not very into it either.

1 Like

I like the one where their dog gets robotized.

Whose Line is it Anyway?

I really like shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, where writing and improv both have room, but pure improv makes me want to drown myself.

Dr who
Friends
Entourage

2 Likes

Do sports games count? I really cannot get into watching 2+ hour basketball, football or baseball games. I’ve tried… a lot. But I find it so mind-numbingly boring. This was a problem when trying to fit in at college.

3 Likes

No, those still exist if they’re not on TV.

If you’re not a diehard who consumes sports as a way of life, or maybe bets on them a lot/plays a lot of fantasy (on top of not really being into the sport with a local team) it makes it a lot harder to get into for sure.

I’m not into them like that, I have very specific things I get into, but if something isn’t ideal, like league management, I also lose interest fast.

1 Like

Lawnmower Dog…

That’s still my favorite episode, but the leaked S05E07 episode, Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion, is amazing.

Pickle Rick was great, too.

How I met your Mother and most American sitcoms that are ‘clever’ like Third Rock around the Sun and the Big Bang Theory.

I’m a westerner but the humour doesn’t translate for me. I just get annoyed at the characters and want to throw an empty Bud can at them and tell them to STFU.
I only really appreciate the really basic stuff like Married with Children. Seinfeld was good too because I get the New York vibe. And Curb your Enthusiasm along those lines.
I guess I’m an Al Bundy at heart.

1 Like