Possible move to Hsinchu from Singapore

Easily doable don’t worry. The website to check is 591. You’d have to pay 2 months for security deposit and if there’s a middle man they’ll take half a months rent IIRC. There’s also 金山 that they call the newbie area which is the affordable area right next to science park but it’s isolated from the rest of the city and it’s on a hill so kinda annoying. Guanxin rd is right on the other side of the road from there and is full of new construction but it’s hard to rent online, anything decent available is immediately grabbed by relatives and friends of current residents.

I could talk about it for hours lol, just come here and see for yourself first then I can help you better based on your specific preferences.

1 Like

You could get a really nice place for $33000 in Hsinchu. It would be a newer building and come with indoor car parking. If you just want a 1 bedroom, you could get something really nice and decent sized.

1 Like

Sounds lovely @the_bear I better cycle more often now to build up the momentum :laughing:

hahah you are an angel @Whatevah , agree totally that nothing beats seeing it myself to make a well informed decision but I greatly appreciate all you have shared :blush:

金山 probably will not be in my list in this case, while it is right next to science park which is a plus point but being far away from everything else would be too much of a hassle. Since there are construction in Guanxin rd, I may have to avoid that too. Thanks for sharing! All notes taken.

I am expecting the employer will provide an agent to assist in my house hunting so well noted on the commission (which is similar to Singapore with 1 month advance deposit, 2 months security deposit and 1 month agent’s commission for a 2 year lease).

Thanks @DunderMifflin :blush: TW$33,000 in Singapore (and I understand same goes for Taipei) would not get me a nice place so it is great to hear this budget will be enough (I wouldn’t wish to splurge too much on rental) to aim for newer building and decent sized.

The area straight out of Xinzhuang train station is a bit of a new more modern feeling area and includes what could be considered a few trendy places and Western restaurants.

Even within occasional walking distance of some places in Science park.

If I worked in Science Park and wasn’t planning on using public transportation or fighting traffic all during rush hour on a daily basis, I would have a bike and maybe a scooter and highly consider highly the area.

Get off work stop at home a few minutes away, then head to other places like Zhubei or Hsinchu train station area for evenings and weekends. And still have the option of places to kind of get to know the within the neighborhood.

And there’s a Holland Village in Singapore like area within walking distance.

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch @tango42 :blush: for another lovely suggestion, the Xinzhuang train station area sounds interesting and not overly “quiet”; I could potentially put this area in my viewing list.

Well noted a bike would come in handy (and cycling is a great exercise too), I assume I could easily get one from Costco or from the cycling shops around the area? I am hoping to avoid a heavy air shipment (by including my foldable bike) :sweat_smile:

It is about 6km from the Hsinchu Sheraton in Zhubei to the Science Park. It is 13km from the far northwestern corner of Zhubei to the Science Park. Google Maps is your friend.

You don’t need to live near Costco to shop there. Taxis and Ubers are still relatively cheap in Taiwan, and you should be able to swing one to Costco once a week. Be aware that mega stores like Costco are madhouses on the weekend.

The existence of sidewalks in Zhubei is a really big deal and should be a strong signal that it will be an easier place to adjust to for someone coming from Singapore.

I am expecting the employer will provide an agent to assist in my house hunting

Really. What makes you expect that? I guess it’s possible at a big company with many foreign employees but Taiwan employers, in general, don’t believe in coddling their employees like this.

1 Like

Hsinchu’s not that bad. Well, if you have to depend on public transportation, then Hsinchu’s a shit hole, but otherwise it’s pretty great.

Anyway, there was a thread that talked about where to look for housing.

If you are single, and don’t mind living like young local new graduates, then you can get a place for around 12K NTD around the Jinshan area(金山街). If you want a place where you can do more thing than sleeping and watch TV on the bed, then you can look at places around Guanxin road (關新路), Keyuan road (科園路), and Puding road (埔頂路). 33,000 at those places might be able to get you a studio apartment or at most a 2 bed room.

1 Like

Thanks again for the detailed information, all well noted :+1: I included agent support as part of my negotiation and the company does have foreign employees so such support is not exactly new :blush:

Thanks @hansioux i did saw that thread :blush: I unfortunately would not be able to live a fresh grad haha and in fact may consider living in taipei during weekends after initial stage to accustom to hsinchu life.

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions and remarks, appreciate greatly!

With the ongoing negotiation, I learn that variables can take up a good chunk of the annual compensation package calculation so the variable (say example profit sharing?); the number can be pump up to make the annual package looks attractive but the base is not high (as compared to what one may get in Singapore) which then make monthly take home (at least for the first year) not as attractive since variables are paid either quarterly or half yearly or yearly.

Can anyone shed some light whether variables take up a good chunk of annual compensation package is a common practice amongst big organizations in Taiwan?

In my opinion, variables are just projection on paper and even if the employer provides the actual variable number for an average to high performers in the past 2-3 years as a reference gauge, it is still a variable to me. From where I come from, fixed components (such as fixed monthly base, fixed bonus etc) are typically what we focus on for negotiation so if the fixed components number do not attract, regardless how attractive the annual package with the variables may look like; we generally walk away from the offer.

Yeah I was once headhunted by Yuanta with the dangling of a ten month performance bonus. Then the Chairman was arrested for the usual and the bonus became two weeks.

2 Likes

Yes it’s very common in Taiwan, especially in semiconductors. Ime any Taiwanese company in semiconductors that isn’t paying half or more in bonuses is probably not paying well at all.

A lot of the “variables” are structured such that they are practically guaranteed, so I would consider them as base salary personally.

A lot of foreigners are wary of these practices but it is what it is. It’s not shady (well usually at least) and a some times ends up being better too.

1 Like

Yes it’s common and it’s typical of Taiwanese organisations, you are well aware of the pitfalls also.

The variables are not structured as ‘guaranteed’ that is why they are variable :blush::wink: and why the employers here love to stick more of your pay in as variable.

You can get a couple of good years where you might benefit but overall I think that it is a negative for employees. Huge variable compensation component such as up to 50% isn’t good for non sales jobs and even for sales people it’s s very risky.

Maybe over the last few years semicon and a few other select industries have done well but as soon as they don’t…

3 Likes

Not an uncommon story. I have shared how my contract offer from a multi billion electronics company was approved by the CEO himself, then they went ahead and chopped up half of it into variables cos I was going ‘get paid more than the HR manager himself’ amongst others. Couldn’t have that !!!

2 Likes

Thanks @Whatevah for sharing, yes it is true that I am wary of the variables which are essentially “sold” to me as minimum guaranteed but I am finding it challenging to consider in the same manner.

Really appreciate your sharing that such calculations are common in Taiwan.

I can’t agree more with you @Brianjones :slightly_smiling_face: you totally read my mind of the pitfalls or when the economy turns south.

I understand totally I can’t compare apples to apples (ie. Taiwan to my home country) but it still threw a curve ball at me when I look at the annual compensation package calculation and like you say, it is not necessarily attractive in the long run regardless how large the numbers look on paper.

Thank you as usual for your valuable thoughts and insights!

1 Like

Another thing to consider - bonuses are generally not paid or prorated during your first year of employment.

Taiwanese employers often “forget” to mention this during the interview.

2 Likes

Great point, thanks @cluckin_bell :slightly_smiling_face: It was a good thing we talked about when the bonuses would be paid out and whether they will be prorated.

1 Like