Possible Relocation to Taiwan/ Taipei

Hi, I am contemplating a relocation to Taiwan/ maybe Taipei.

Any advises from you forumers?

How much are accomodations?

What is living in Taipei like?

How is the recreation scene in Taiwan?

How much are air tickets from Taipei to Shanghai?

Still no direct flights, huh? What is the current status and will there be any changes soon?

Try the search button.

[quote=“gerardtan”]Hi, I am contemplating a relocation to Taiwan/ maybe Taipei.

Any advises from you forumers?[/quote]

Get the company to pay for everything.

Between NT$15,000 and NT$600,000. What do you want ?

NT$15,000 and upwards.

No.

How is life in Taipei/ Taiwan?

How would you rate in compared to cities like Hong Kong and Singapore, in terms of payscale, quality of life, social life, friendliness of people, weekend leisure etc?

Existence is meaningless. Doesn’t matter where you are. You are born, you do some things, you die. Pointless.

Get the hell out of America, MaPo, and over to Taiwan! I’ve been home in Arizona for nearly a week, and though the U.S. is a consumer’s paradise, I find the place to be pretty soul-less in comparison with Taiwan. That’s what’s depressing you–the materialism, the lack of sincerity, and the posing that is so ubiquitous here in the land of “Oh, what brand are those jeans?”. Get over to messy, smelly, loud, hot, dirty…and REAL Taiwan, and you’ll feel better.

Of course, when we hook you up with a nice round of beers and a few engaging, pretty shaojies, your outlook will improve even more:wink: .

Taiwan or the USA ? (or both?)

Get the hell out of America, MaPo, and over to Taiwan! … Get over to messy, smelly, loud, hot, dirty…and REAL Taiwan, and you’ll feel better.[/quote]
You’re clearly not an Albert Camus fan. :slight_smile:

He is. He’s the outsider.

Taiwan or the USA ? (or both?)[/quote]

I know there are those who feel this description applies to Taiwan, but the Taiwan I experience is for the most part much more down-to-earth than the America I experience.

That depends on where you are in America. In upscale Sun Belt urban centers full of upwardly mobile yuppies - I suppose you’ll find more crass materialism than average.

Excellent point, mod. I have lived primarily in the Sun Belt urban centers you mention (Phoenix, Vegas, central Utah, Socal, Norcal). I lived in Dallas for a time, and hated it for the same reasons. People’s noses were bleeding from the altitude they held them at. Austin, on the other hand, was much more gritty than most places I’ve lived. Perhaps I should settle somewhere in the American south if I ever move back. Or Montana.

[quote=“gerardtan”]How is life in Taipei/ Taiwan?

How would you rate in compared to cities like Hong Kong and Singapore, in terms of payscale, quality of life, social life, friendliness of people, weekend leisure etc?[/quote]If you have to ask, you really shouldn’t be thinking of coming. Sounds like you haven’t even checked basic stats or info.

Well, most Southerners don’t really fit into the upwardly-mobile crassly-materialistic American stereotype, with the exceptions of Atlanta and the parts of Florida annexed by Yankee sun-worshippers.
We’re pretty laid-back and friendly, at least where I come from. The MidWest is sort of similar in attitude, if only it weren’t so dead boring from lack of culture.