Post-bust blues

Hi

A friend of mine was busted at his elementary school more than 6 months ago…the cops took his ARC and found that the adress used to get the ARC is different. My friend was told to stop working there and find another job immediately. So he did.

Received a letter in the mail on Friday that he has 5 days to leave Taiwan. Ouch.

Wish they could give a 6 month notice at least. This guy was on the verge of buying a house here…

I got busted in June, and my bosses paid a huge fine. The lady assured me that nothing was going to happen to me because my bosses paid the fine. Now I’m scared all over again…

I believe your friend’s on my hockey team.
If so, what makes it worse is that his school was ratted out by a disgruntled former employee. Bastard got canned, packed his bags, and dropped a letter to the foreign affairs police on his way to the airport.

Be careful. I suggest you get your shit in order, just in case.

Unbelievable!

I’ve worked in finance in Taiwan and I have to say that if the Foreign Affairs pigs pulled this one on anyone, then companies like the one I work for would have that copper out of work the following day.

The question then becomes, what ministry do you have to pressure to stop this insane crap happening to teachers?

Alternatively, teachers should be putting the word out there that this is a serious risk in Taiwan and try and stem the tide of would be teacher arrivals.

HG

Jaboney> I don’t think it’s him. He was nowhere on the verge of buying a house here.
Plus, he got notice before Friday.
There were 3 others netted in that bust, so I’m guessing it’s one of them.

Many people have no idea that they are signing up for illegal jobs while they are still overseas. They give up their life back home,borrow money to get here…then get deported within a couple of months.

Sad reality is…It’s damn hard making a living (worthwile living) legally here. Most buxibans start at 4pm and end at 8.30pm. It’s hard getting enough hours to make enough money to make it worth not seeing your family…

I wish there was a way to contact someone in the government…so that they at least know that many times the foreigners have no idea.

I don’t think my friend is on your team…he would faint at the idea!hehe. But I did meet a couple of SA guys a couple of weeks back…the one guy JUST got here and was going to work at an elementary school. He had to start work immediately, and the cops busted him while his ARC was still being processed. He had to leave too.

This is happening more and more and there must be something that can be done?

Oh, great! It’s not him… he’s one of four others. WTF?

[quote=“Battery9”]Hi

A friend of mine was busted at his elementary school more than 6 months ago…the cops took his ARC and found that the adress used to get the ARC is different. My friend was told to stop working there and find another job immediately. So he did.

Received a letter in the mail on Friday that he has 5 days to leave Taiwan. Ouch.

Wish they could give a 6 month notice at least. This guy was on the verge of buying a house here…

I got busted in June, and my bosses paid a huge fine. The lady assured me that nothing was going to happen to me because my bosses paid the fine. Now I’m scared all over again…[/quote]

I don’t understand what your friend did wrong that warranted him being deported? He was busted for what? You said he had an ARC…so if he had an ARC he was working legally??? Was the school different from the one on his ARC??? The residential address on his ARC, was it different from where he was actually living??? Who told him to stop working and get another job immediatley, the cops or the school??? Please be more specific so we can understand the nature of the deportation.

As far as people going on about poor foreigners taking illegal jobs before getting here, then naturally getting busted and deported…i don’t see what the fuss is.

Common sense says to check the working laws of the country you plan on working in BEFORE you take a job! It isnt rocket science…and a decission as big as giving up our life in your home country to start anew in another country would warrant a bit of research on laws of that country, dont ya think! :loco:

The information about what you can and cant do is out there. There is truck loads of information on this site alone, not to mention the numerous government sites of Taiwan, University sites of Taiwan, and personal blogs etc. you can even google it and get immediate answers to what can and cant be done while on an ARC. So IMHO there are no excuses for being deported. If you are working illegaly it is your fault period.

Dont take the risk - dont work illegaly.

Trust your feelings…

[quote=“Quarters”]Common sense says to check the working laws of the country you plan on working in BEFORE you take a job! It isnt rocket science…and a decission as big as giving up our life in your home country to start anew in another country would warrant a bit of research on laws of that country, dont ya think! :loco:

The information about what you can and cant do is out there. There is truck loads of information on this site alone, not to mention the numerous government sites of Taiwan, University sites of Taiwan, and personal blogs etc. you can even google it and get immediate answers to what can and cant be done while on an ARC. So IMHO there are no excuses for being deported. If you are working illegaly it is your fault period. Dont take the risk - dont work illegaly.[/quote]

No, the problem is that there are a myriad of “normal” practices and a whole mountain of stupid administrative crap that make the instances of deportation too damned frequent.

The only time I had an ARC from a cram school it was incorrect in terms of the address and name of the school and my home address. These were all in Chinese but I could read them and I accepted the excuse that this was normal. I’m willing to bet most people wouldn’t even know what was written on their ARC. They, like me, would have assumed their employers had their best interests at heart.

HG

[quote=“Quarters”][quote=“Battery9”]Hi

I got busted in June, and my bosses paid a huge fine. The lady assured me that nothing was going to happen to me because my bosses paid the fine. Now I’m scared all over again…[/quote]

I don’t understand what your friend did wrong that warranted him being deported? He was busted for what? You said he had an ARC…so if he had an ARC he was working legally??? Was the school different from the one on his ARC??? The residential address on his ARC, was it different from where he was actually living??? Who told him to stop working and get another job immediatley, the cops or the school??? Please be more specific so we can understand the nature of the deportation.

As far as people going on about poor foreigners taking illegal jobs before getting here, then naturally getting busted and deported…i don’t see what the fuss is.

Common sense says to check the working laws of the country you plan on working in BEFORE you take a job! It isnt rocket science…and a decission as big as giving up our life in your home country to start anew in another country would warrant a bit of research on laws of that country, dont ya think! :loco:

The information about what you can and cant do is out there. There is truck loads of information on this site alone, not to mention the numerous government sites of Taiwan, University sites of Taiwan, and personal blogs etc. you can even google it and get immediate answers to what can and cant be done while on an ARC. So IMHO there are no excuses for being deported. If you are working illegaly it is your fault period.

Dont take the risk - dont work illegaly.[/quote]

nah hes on about when schools have only one legal branch and a bunch of illegal branches one of which is his actual school…johnny FOB will have no idea which branches are legal…his employer on the ARC etc. is in chinese…the illegality is purely on the side of the employer…

i guess if you want to be 100% safe you have to work for the big chains which presumably dont do this…

That ARC I had with the wrong addresses was through one of the big chains.

HG

Well, why don’t we collect a few thousand NT dollars and put a fairly large ad in all the English-language papers in Taiwan declaring “Check your ARC Day” and warning all and sundry that it is illegal to work anyplace that is not the precise address on your ARC,and that working without the ARC in hand can also lead to deportation.

Heck, ask the government to sponsor the costs of placing the ad. “I’m sure this would save the country money in the long run in administrative costs and diplomatic lost face”, etc. etc.

F.com is a great help in getting the word out, but unfortunately this sort of thing always seems to degenerate into the “but I want/need/was told I must work without my ARC completed so that should be okay” philosophical stuff, which unfortunately doesn’t hold water when the police come to visit.

Since we have little or no political pull in Taiwan, seems like the most logical thing to do is to aggressively educate teachers and prospective teachers. If enough buxibans are told by enough teachers “No can do”, THEY willl either get things changed or stop making those demands.

Good call.

I think the reason teachers cop this shit and people under Ministry of Finance work contracts never do is the willingness to push against the ministry. International banks would scream the house down if their people were being deported for not being in the address of their ARC workplace in work hours.

HG

I like the ad idea :slight_smile: Im up for it! Sorry to say that “you should have known better” comment is completely wrong. If you aren’t a local there’s just too much that you dont know and cant know in such a short amount of time, plus people pulling the wool over your ideas and just telling you general bullshit that you believe. Now that I think back there were so many times that the things I did for my school were illegal and I had no idea at all.

I called the woman that busted me yesterday. It was 7pm on Christmas Eve and she was on her way home on the MRT.
All I had to do was say my name and she remembered me :slight_smile: Reassured me that because my bosses took the blame and paid a HEFTY fine my name wasn’t recorded. It was only recorded that I have now received a written warning and is now aware that I may not teach anyone under the age of 6.

PHEW!!!

And yes, I knew all of this back then but it still re-freaked me out. Maybe all of you should make a deal with your bosses. I worked with my bosses for 2 yrs and they were well aware of how scared I was to get caught…explained to them that I can’t possibly return home without at least a years notice:) Maybe you guys can tell them that if you do ever get caught you will help pay the fine over a couple of years or something like that.

Just to ask ya know?

[quote=“Battery9”]Hi

6 months… why not make it six years just to be on the safe side? I think I’ll carry a copy of an ARC elonging to somebody else. I found some copies conveniently laying around the office. Now just to copy my photo in and all’s well. :wink:

I’m teaching all ages whatever they throw at me. Legal… most teachers wouldnt know legal if it bit them on the ass. I’ve met many teachers here who all seem to be able to tell me what’s legal and not. Still they cry when they get their pink slips in the mail. Getting deported is not so bad. We could get the draft instead!!!

How does anyone need ONE year to get home?
The slow boat from China?

Get your animals chipped now so don’t have any more pressure in the future.

well, just bought a house for the folks back home…mortgage payments monthly…need a big wad of cash to survive in SA while finding a new job. We don’t have buses or MRTs back there…no idea how I will get from one job interview to the next…where I would stay etc.

so yes, would eat lunchboxes and tea eggs for the last year I’m here, no more Grandma Nitties!!!