Potential Contract-thoughts?

I am hoping to go to Taiwan late-August/early-September for the first time to teach for a year. Below is a contract I am considering, and I wanted to know your thoughts on it. Is it a fair, pretty typical contract? The money isn’t stellar, but it isn’t bad either. I want to have something solid before I buy the plane ticket, visa, and do the 20-hour online TEFL course they require, and I want to make sure this is a decent contract to sign. Please let me know your thoughts/advice!

B. DUTIES
The teacher contracts to undertake all duties assigned by the Director of Studies. These duties shall generally include the following. N.B. Teachers are only paid for teaching duties (1 and 2 below). However the hourly teaching rate is calculated to be inclusive of non-teaching duties (3 to 13 below):

1. Classroom teaching in schools (both kindergartens and language schools) or in other schools where ___ agrees to provide teachers.
  2. Teaching at locations other than schools, such as company offices, community halls, or private homes, as directed by the Director of Studies.
  3. Full preparation for all classes being taught on a scheduled day.
  4. Assisting and making a positive contribution to the recruitment of new students by, among other activities, conducting demonstration lessons, placement testing, and advising on appropriate classes / lessons for students.
  5. Counselling existing students and advising them on issues relating to study, examinations, and opportunities for study abroad.
  6. Undertaking the production of lesson plans, course outlines, and teaching materials, both individually and with fellow teachers, as directed by the Director of Studies.
  7. Attending and making a positive contribution to meetings reviewing the teacher’s performance, professional development, and issues relating in general; subsequently taking action upon issues raised in those meetings.
  8. Preparation and submission of materials (lesson plans, self-assessments etc) for meetings reviewing the teacher’s performance and professional development.
  9. Attending and making a positive contribution to workshops and training sessions as directed by the Director of Studies. The winter and summer course training sessions are obligatory for all teachers that have not attended these in previous contracts, these 2 trainings may be on a weekend.
  10. Organising and participating in promotional events for students during the contract period (e.g. Graduation, Xmas parties, overnight trips etc).
  11. The preparation, maintenance, and submission of timely and accurate reports on lessons and student progress according to the schema advised by the Director of Studies.
  12. Visiting Head Office (Taipei teachers only) at least once a week to prepare materials and to check drawers for correspondence.
  13. Teaching as cover for absent colleagues in schools or other locations when required (a maximum of 12 times during the contract period. Also see I. 4).
  14. Being on stand-by in case of teacher sickness when required.
    N.B. It is sometimes necessary to change schedules at short notice, or for teachers temporarily to do work that falls outside these guidelines. Teachers are expected to be flexible and co-operative in these circumstances. Requests for changes to a teaching schedule can normally only be considered after one year.

C. HOURS OF WORK, WAGES & BONUS

1. The teacher agrees to be available to carry out his/her duties as advised by the Director of Studies. A standard schedule (not including cover) is 5 days/week with Sunday and one other day off.
  2. The maximum contact teaching hours in any given day (excluding the public school vacation periods) will not exceed 8 (N.B. the average is 5).
  3. The length of the working day (from start of the first class until finish of the last class) will not exceed 9.5 hours (including breaks) on three days of the week or 11 hours on the remaining two days of the week.
  4. The teacher agrees to a gross hourly rate of NT$570 for the first six months of the contract period. There is then the possibility of a performance related increase of either NT$10/hr or NT$20/hr from the month of March 2013. The maximum hourly rate is NT$620.
  5. The teacher shall be guaranteed a gross monthly wage of NT$ 45,600 representing 80 hours per month at the hourly rate (valid for the first six months of the contract period).
  6. Wages are paid on the 10th of the following month (or the next banking day if the 10th is a holiday). Please note that all pay is taxed according to local tax laws.
  7. On arrival there will be one week of training (this training may need to be completed at a later date). For teachers scheduled to teach some or all of their classes at a kindergarten there will be an extra week of training paid at twenty hours (this training may also need to be completed at a later date).
  8. The guarantee period begins on the first day of training and for teachers whose first day of training falls outside the first week of the month the guarantee will be calculated at 20 hours per full week. Teachers are paid on the 10th of the following month (Please note that all pay is taxed according to local tax laws).
  9. Any positive (over the guarantee) or negative (below the guarantee) balance of hours shall be carried forward at the end of each calendar month.
  10. After working a full six calendar months, all teachers that have accrued a positive balance of hours must leave the guarantee system. Any such hours accrued over this period shall be paid as a bonus at the initial hourly rate as detailed in 4, above.
  11. After working a full six calendar months, any teachers that have not yet accrued a positive balance of hours will remain on the guarantee until such a time as they have accrued a positive balance of hours. At that time, such hours shall be paid as a bonus at the standard hourly rate. Any negative balance of hours accrued over the full contract period will be forfeited by school.
  12. After leaving the guarantee system, teachers will be paid each month for all hours taught, at the standard hourly rate.
  13. Level check bonuses will be paid to the teacher in the months that they are earned.

D. CONDUCT

1. The teacher is expected to arrive at the designated school at least 30 minutes prior to the commencement of the first lesson.
  2. In the event of the teacher being late or unable to attend, he/she must notify the school and head office as soon as possible.
  3. The teacher is expected to be at the school in sufficient time to prepare properly for all classes schedule for the day. Preparation for classes is a part of a teachers non-teaching duties.
  4. The teacher agrees to adhere to the school dress code, as outlined in the school Procedures and Administration Manual (PAM). The teacher should be of smart appearance at all times when engaged on company business.
  5. It is a condition of employment that the teacher does not engage in any other employment either through his/her own, or any other individual’s or company’s behalf. Any employee engaged in such unauthorised employment shall be subject to summary dismissal.

E. VISA & REGISTRATION
The school shall sponsor the teacher for a visa. The teacher shall be responsible for the cost of the visa and Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) and for submission of all relevant documentation to the proper authorities and for all actions necessary to maintain the validity of the visa.

Teachers should be aware that a medical check is required in order to be granted a visa. Failure to pass this medical check may result in a rejection of the visa request. Teachers would then be required to leave the country at their own expense.

In the case of a visa trip being required, the school will cover the costs incurred, provided the teacher arrived with a full 8 weeks tourist visa and has provided all documentation necessary as and when requested. NB This does not apply to South African teachers since it is a government requirement for teachers from South Africa to pick up the resident visa in another country.

F. SICKNESS/HEALTH INSURANCE

1. It is a condition of residence in Taiwan that all residents are members of the National Insurance scheme. Deductions will be made at source from the teacher’s wages to cover the cost.
  2. Since the National Insurance scheme doesn’t adequately cover the teacher, it is a condition of employment that the teacher joins the scheme recommended upon arrival in Taiwan. Franchise teachers have the option of joining the company scheme or taking out a private scheme that covers the teacher for the duration of stay in Taiwan. NB Schemes taken out in Taiwan do not cover repatriation.
    Teachers should be aware that the private scheme may not accept/may delay covering teachers with past or present medical conditions. If rejected, teachers will have to take out insurance in the UK. The cost of the private scheme is based on the age and medical condition of the teacher.
  3. At the discretion of the Director of Studies, the teacher may be granted compassionate leave.
  4. Time missed due to sickness or for compassionate reasons will be considered as unpaid leave and proportional deductions from the teacher’s wages will be made accordingly. For teachers on the guarantee system 5 hours will be deducted for each day missed.
  5. If the teacher is absent from work through sickness, the company may require a doctor’s certificate or other documentation.

G. DISCIPLINARY & GRIEVANCE PROCEDURES

1. The teacher agrees to abide by the disciplinary procedures as detailed in the Procedures and Administration Manual (PAM), a copy of which is available to teachers at all times.
  2. The teacher agrees to abide by the grievance procedures as detailed in the Procedures and Administration Manual (PAM), a copy of which is available to teachers at all times.

H. RESIGNATION & TERMINATION OF CONTRACT
Note: All teachers are expected to complete the contract period. Teachers leaving prior to completing the full term of the contract are considered to have broken the contract. Although the school will follow the guidelines laid out below with regards to pay, failure to complete contracts may adversely affect future Taiwanese work permit applications.

1. In the event of a teacher wishing to resign from the employment prior to the completion of their contract period, a formal letter of resignation must be submitted to the Director of Studies, not less than three months before his/her last day of work, which should be specified. Under such circumstances, deficit hours may be reclaimed. The school will cancel the working visa. The school also reserves the right to replace the teacher earlier than stated in the letter of resignation. In this case the above deductions will be based on the full three months notice and not this earlier, enforced departure date. NB Once notice of termination of contract has been received, teachers may be taken off the guarantee system at any time. All other money due to the teacher will be paid in full after the above deductions have been taken into consideration.
  2. If for any reason less than 3 months notice is given, additional hourly payments will be lost and deficit hours may be reclaimed. The school will cancel the working visa. The school also reserves the right to replace the teacher earlier than stated in the letter of resignation. N.B. Once notice of termination of contract has been received, teachers may be taken off the guarantee system at any time. Any other losses incurred (such as replacement fees and hotel costs) may also be reclaimed (N.B. This will be dependent on actual notice period given).
  3. The school may, if dissatisfied with the teacher’s performance, terminate this contract prior to the end of the contract period with a minimum of one month’s notice. Under such circumstances, deficit hours may be reclaimed. The school will cancel the working visa. NB Once notice of termination of contract has been issued, teachers may be taken off the guarantee system at any time. All other money due to the teacher will be paid in full after the above deductions have been taken into consideration.
  4. In the event of an act of gross misconduct being committed by the teacher, the school may, at its discretion, summarily dismiss the teacher without notice. Under such circumstances, no additional hourly bonus payments will be paid. Deficit hours will also be reclaimed. Any other losses incurred (such as replacement fees and hotel costs) will also be reclaimed. the school will cancel the working visa.
  5. The teacher agrees that, both during and after employment with the school, he/she shall not pass on any information relating to SEST or its operations to which he/she may become privy during his/her employment.
  6. The teacher agrees that, both during and after employment, he/she shall neither defame nor make public statements of a damaging nature concerning the school or its associated companies or personnel.
  7. In the event of his/her leaving, the teacher shall return all books and materials given to him/her. Any materials not returned will be charged to the teacher.

I. HOLIDAYS

1. During the calendar year there are a total of 13 holidays that fall on Mondays to Saturdays (the schools are shut on these days). These include national holidays.
  2. A further 14 days may be chosen providing the required notice is given. These holidays will be granted on a first come first served basis and only after the teacher has completed a full 3 months teaching. For teachers on the guarantee system, 5 hours will be deducted for each day missed.
  3. Certain schools shut for longer than the 13 days stipulated in 1 above. In this case the number of days that can be chosen will be reduced accordingly (Please refer to individual school calendars).
  4. Teachers may also accrue further holidays. If a teacher covers classes on their regular day off, then a further 1-day of holiday is accrued for each cover day.
  5. All holidays are unpaid.

I’m not a teacher, so take this with a grain of salt but

In section B

1 - Kindergarten teaching is illegal and you run the risk of deportation.
2 - Teaching at locations other than school is only legal if they apply for a separate work permit for each location. If they don’t, it’s illegal and you’re at risk of deportation.
13, 14 - If you’re covering for someone in your branch, you’re okay, but if they send you elsewhere, you’ll need a work permit for that location.

Section C

It takes a few weeks, maybe a month, to get all the work permits etc processed and ARC issued. You can not legally work during this time. Even sitting in a classroom observing a class will be considered working by the govt authorities if they check. Be careful with the training - if you’re in a classroom with students, it’s officially working.

Slave contract, imo. They are using your responsibility (wanted to have your ducks in a row before coming) against you.

570/hour

You pay for the ARC.

You must basically do anything they ask at anytime (and the pay scheme is worded like it is there to protect you, but if studied, I am sure it’s not in your best interest).

Oh, and yes, what cfimages said too.

OMFG!!! :astonished: You are seriously considering that POS contract? Find somewhere else. :2cents:

That’s a very low starting salary. $60,000 should be minimum. And you’re capped at $620 per hour. That’s a very low cap. Most hourly wages are capped between $700-$800.

Be careful not to be exploited. I would keep looking.

tbh the pay is actually pretty standard for a newb.

Several things have been mentioned that are crap in the contract but there are more: 3 month notice to leave the job, required participation for promotional events and counseling to students, weekly trips to the central office, required arrival 30 minutes before first class, attending workshops and training sessions and one other biggee. It looks like any hours worked past 80/mo are put into a guarantee system and you won’t get paid them as a bonus for 6 months. So if you work more than 80 hrs/mo then there might be an incentive for them to cut your hours from the seemingly guaranteed 20.

A few other things are that it sounds like the school plans to completely own your working day and overall this contract is written to pretty much completely trap you there and expose you to a few illegal jobs (subbing at other schools and working at secondary schools/businesses not on your ARC). It is also written for newb teachers and I’m not surprised that they are recruiting newbs from overseas.

Ask them about the kindergarten stuff. Ask them about the working in other schools stuff. See what they say. Be aware that it is totally illegal and grounds for deportation. Be aware also that anything illegal in the contract is unenforceable. The money sounds like absolute shite, but I’m not a teacher, so maybe its OK for the job.
They sound like complete shysters, i.e. like every other buxiban in Taiwan. Be careful. They do NOT have your best interests at heart. You are a total expendable in their eyes. Fresh meat.

[quote=“sandman”]Ask them about the kindergarten stuff. Ask them about the working in other schools stuff. See what they say. Be aware that it is totally illegal and grounds for deportation. Be aware also that anything illegal in the contract is unenforceable. The money sounds like absolute shite, but I’m not a teacher, so maybe its OK for the job.
They sound like complete shysters, i.e. like every other buxiban in Taiwan. Be careful. They do NOT have your best interests at heart. You are a total expendable in their eyes. Fresh meat.[/quote]

ractopamine laced no doubt

[quote=“Abacus”]tbh the pay is actually pretty standard for a newb.
[/quote]

I’ve been out of country for 3 years. $570 per hour. Are you saying the average hourly wage has dropped during the last 3 years or stayed the same? Are hourly wages deflating? What would be considered the absolute minimum a newb should consider?

If hourly wages are indeed deflating, it doesn’t bode well for most English teachers in the Wan. Keep in mind that In China English teacher’s wages are increasing.

[quote=“SillyWilly”][quote=“Abacus”]tbh the pay is actually pretty standard for a newb.
[/quote]

I’ve been out of country for 3 years. $570 per hour. Are you saying the average hourly wage has dropped during the last 3 years or stayed the same? Are hourly wages deflating? What would be considered the absolute minimum a newb should consider?

If hourly wages are indeed deflating, it doesn’t bode well for most English teachers in the Wan. Keep in mind that In China English teacher’s wages are increasing.[/quote]

I doubt any newbs get over 600NT/hr and I see a lot of jobs that offer starting wages in the 550-600NT/hr range. And that usually includes experienced teachers switching jobs.

Yes, the ESL industry is going downhill in Taiwan. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. the pay/hr (even at 550-600NT) is still pretty competitive throughout Asia but the competition for hours is awful. I see too many jobs that offer 14-20 hrs/wk and they have started including all kinds of extra duties like the OP’s contracts that kill the hourly rate. If you can get a good job (I have a nice one) then ESL in taiwan is nice but if you don’t then it’s definitely easier to make more money elsewhere (Korea and china primarily). This is entirely due to the ease that you can find a job with 25-30 hrs/wk and not because of the hourly rate.

Maybe others can share their take on the current market but mostly I hear people that haven’t taught for years (or ever) say that it X amount is really low when in fact it is the current standard. this isn’t ESL heyday that we’re talking about.

i just looked at a popular job site and saw within the first 6-8 posts jobs paying 600+ (up to 750, which i do feel is most likely b./s, but 650 should be possible), and salaried FT work, for 60-70+

edit: just wanted to point out though…that yes, 570 for a “i must have a job before i fly there” job seems rather standard

do any of the big chains pay airfare?

It’s good to hear the hourly wage has been stable the past 3 years. But the main concern is that getting a decent amount of hours is becoming more of a problem these days.

I’m becoming more concerned about the possible fallout of a US recession in 2013-2014 combined with a significant slowdown in China - resulting in lost jobs / cut salaries for Taiwanese workers. This will have 2 main effects on foreign teachers in my opinion:

1. More 2012-2014 graduates will flood to Taiwan and current un/underemployed recent graduates will migrate to Taiwan to at least have a job. Many Americans arriving after the 2008 financial crisis haven’t even returned home yet since the job market sucks.
  2. More parents will experience cut salaries or cut hours in Taiwan resulting in kids being taken out of English buxibans, less teachers being needed, and wages declining faster. Just like in 2008, but worse this time around. :thumbsdown:

Thank you for the feedback!

[quote=“SillyWilly”]It’s good to hear the hourly wage has been stable the past 3 years. But the main concern is that getting a decent amount of hours is becoming more of a problem these days.

I’m becoming more concerned about the possible fallout of a US recession in 2013-2014 combined with a significant slowdown in China - resulting in lost jobs / cut salaries for Taiwanese workers. This will have 2 main effects on foreign teachers in my opinion:

1. More 2012-2014 graduates will flood to Taiwan and current un/underemployed recent graduates will migrate to Taiwan to at least have a job. Many Americans arriving after the 2008 financial crisis haven’t even returned home yet since the job market sucks.
  2. More parents will experience cut salaries or cut hours in Taiwan resulting in kids being taken out of English buxibans, less teachers being needed, and wages declining faster. Just like in 2008, but worse this time around. :thumbsdown:[/quote]

can’t say i disagree…teaching kids here is a shrinking industry anyway…i think it’s safe to say it has peaked…there will always be a demand, but a much softer demand

Why do people feel like they have to have a job before they come here? I can’t imagine taking a teaching position at a school I’ve never visited…

Just get a visitors visa and get over here. It’s not that difficult to find a job with a much more reasonable contract. Walk through the school, look around, smell the place before you commit to a contract. There are bunches of jobs that will pay you NT$600/hour and not require so much crap.