Potential identify theft. Need advice

Seems like they should be calling you, or passing on the message internally. You’d think it’s in their interest to stop people fraudulently applying for credit, especially when you’re not even in the U.S…

1 Like

I’ve now sent emails to all the companies I got emails from. I also tried to call all of them but only got through to fraud teams for AMEX, who did nothing. So I guess now I’ll wait for them to reply, probably won’t be till Monday. In the mean time I will call the three credit card bureaus, but without a social security number I doubt they can do much.

1 Like

Upgrade replied to me:

Calling now.

2 Likes

Correction: the person whose tax identification or social security number they’re using to apply has gotten locked out. All of these services can only be applied to in such a short amount of time if one has one of these numbers.

You have nothing to worry about for yourself but this definitely looks like they got ahold of some person’s social security number.

2 Likes

Sorry that you have to deal with this, what a pain in the ass and unnecessary source of stress and potential problems. I hope it is easier to resolve everything on Monday

3 Likes

Never mind they are closed now.

It’s weird that everything hinges on that and they can’t find the application record using your email address or whatever. I guess that someone would also have needed to just fake a social security number, so nothing will go through anyway?

I’d probably just send the emails saying it’s nowt to do with me then let the companies deal with it.

Can the credit card companies see what name is attached to a social security number when somebody applies?

Yes.

They didn’t actually try. AMEX said they can’t do that

1 Like

Another really weird thing about all this is that the email address they used to apply for all these credit cards and loans is just an alias that forwards to my main address. I’ve never posted that alias email address online, so it’s not like someone who is targeting me would know that that address belongs to me. On ProtonMail you can have multiple alias email addresses that all forward to the same inbox.

1 Like

So I guess they just got your email and some personal info from some site you use.

Maybe check https://haveibeenpwned.com/?

1 Like

No pwnage found :confused:

1 Like

That’s what’s weird.
I have literally never used that email alias, ever.

Probably a typo or something. One of my older emails (~17 years old) gets a lot of weird emails with names that are similar to mine. Though it’s weird they’d make that mistake when filling out multiple forms.

1 Like

Auto fill?

2 Likes

Did you get really drunk last night and just forget you applied for all of them?

1 Like

lol no. I don’t even have a social security number

I’m curious. You grew up in the US, right? How do you not have an SSN?

Nope. British citizen

3 Likes