Pots extra

Has anyone heard of this apparently soon-to-be-published magazine?

I heard it’s coming out next month. But what does the acronym mean and is the magazine going to be free? Taipei only?

Pots Extra is the English section of Pots that started about three weeks ago. “Extra” is not an acronym but it is a word with a little history. Right now Pots extra has four pages of listings and a couple of articles but it will increase to 8 pages very soon and offer much more in the way of content. So far, the listings are excellent and I assume they willl continue to be so given that David Frazier is running the show.

Partial, much? :?

Partial? Yeah, pretty much.

Is POTS an acronym. If so, what does it stand for?

Party On Taipei Scene?

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Is POTS an acronym. If so, what does it stand for?

Party On Taipei Scene?[/quote]The Taipei Times spelling of ‘Post’ ? Or is it a magazine about cooking utensils ?

I did read where the name came from when it originally started. I completely forgot now.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“HakkaSonic”]Is POTS an acronym. If so, what does it stand for?

Party On Taipei Scene?[/quote]The Taipei Times spelling of ‘Post’ ? Or is it a magazine about cooking utensils ?[/quote]

A cutesy reference to Harry Potter? Or linked to the idea “going potty.” Or, Pissing Off Taipei Soon?

I don’t think there is an acronym. I think that the English name for POTS came from the Chinese “Puo” which is kind of like “shitty”.

I wonder if they’ll add the English section to the website. Since Zeitgeist closed I haven’t been to the site that often.

Perfectly Obnoxious Tripe Show
Putrification of Taipei’s Sausages

I feel obliged to point out that my girlfriend’s cafe is a POTS pick-up point.

Nook Cafe Theater
No. 12, Section 3, Chengde Road,
Datong District, Taibei 103

Nearest MRT: Minquan (on the Danshui line)

Juba reading POTS in Nook Cafe

[quote=“Juba”]I feel obliged to point out that my girlfriend’s cafe is a POTS pick-up point.

Nook Cafe Theater

Nearest MRT: Minquan (on the Danshui line)[/quote]

Juba, I remember that you’re a vegetarian, so I wonder if your girlfriend serves veggie food in her cafe? If so, I’ll probably pop in there the next time I’m in that area. About how far is it from Minchuan MRT station (i.e., how many minutes on foot)?

I’m VERY HAPPY to inform you all of the original meaning of POTS. You have to trust me on this one, because I’m NOT making it up. You can ask Alien–she’ll vouch for me being a reliable source of this sort of thing.

I met a Taiwanese reporter who worked for POTS at a youth conference about 7 years ago, shortly after I arrived in Taipei. When I asked him this very question, he answered:

“POTS? It’s the plural for pot… you know, like marijuana.” I almost wet my pants, I was laughing so hard! Ever since, whenever I pick up a copy of POTS, I imagine rows of cooking utensils filled to the brim with weed.

BTW if you want to find a copy, just go to any eslite.

Saw a copy last night. Bit bare and thin as yet, but kudos to Frazier – I’ve been waiting for years for POTS to get on the ball with some English content.

I picked up a copy yesterday, too. As Sandman says, a bit thin on the ground with only four pages. But the content that was there looked good.

I always thought Dave Frazier was one of the best writers at the TT. His features, art reviews, and even restaurant reviews were always opinionated, well written, and worth reading.

I just wonder if any of the Expo-extra style “humor” will make its way into the pages of Pots. After all, wasn’t Frazier the guy who wrote an article for the Taipei Times about how to make an Osama Bin-Laden costume for the Halloween following 9/11/2001?

Whatever the case, I’ll be looking forward to reading Pots Extra over the next few months.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Juba”]I feel obliged to point out that my girlfriend’s cafe is a POTS pick-up point.

Nook Cafe Theater

Nearest MRT: Minquan (on the Danshui line)[/quote]
Juba, I remember that you’re a vegetarian, so I wonder if your girlfriend serves veggie food in her cafe? If so, I’ll probably pop in there the next time I’m in that area. About how far is it from Minchuan MRT station (i.e., how many minutes on foot)?[/quote]

1. There is one vegan and two lacto-vegetarian food items on the menu. If you want to be sure of not getting any eggs, please ask for vegan (quan su). I would like to tell you that the food is really excellent, but I’d be lying. The coffee is good, the herb teas are good. The Assam and Earl Grey teas are awful - I have to go behind the bar and make them brew it my way.

The service is a bit slow because most of the staff have various kinds of disabilities.

1. The cafe is about 5 minutes on foot from Minquan MRT. Cross the footbridge both ways (over Minquan and Chengde roads), go up Chengde Road past the Tonglian Bus Station and the Co-op Bank and you’re there.

End of ad. Now back to the subject of POTS…

[quote] would like to tell you that the food is really excellent, but I’d be lying … The Assam and Earl Grey teas are awful …
End of ad.[/quote]

That was an ad? :slight_smile: