POTS Weekly; English Expansion

POTS Weekly, which is a bilingual alternative newspaper in Taipei, will be expanding its english language section starting this week (next edition Dec. 25). David Frazier is the english section editor and I, along with several others, will be doing regular columns for POTS. My column will focus on criminal justice, human rights, the law and sometimes wider social/cultural issues.

POTS is distributed free at Eslite Bookstores, on university campuses, arts venues and restaurants, bars and coffee shops.

Happy Holidays,
Brian

That’s really great. At present, I can use this magazine only to find bands with English names. Now with an English section I have a good reason to pick up that newspaper every week. POTS tells you when and where every band is playing in Taipei.

Thanks for the information, Brian.

If I am not mistaken, the current format is four pages in English. How many pages will the new expanded English-language section be?

I look forward to reading your column and the other columns.

It’s great that POTS is moving forward with this. I’ve always believed that David Frazier is one of the best writers/reporters in the Taiwan English-langauge writing scene.

That is great news and I look forward to it. I hope the powers that be at POTS will not become like the Taiwanese editors of the English rags. It seems they are giving Frazier lots of freedom, so I’ll make POTS more of a habit. It will be nice to have a better alternative to This Month in Taiwan, and the Friday sections.

The “New POTS” format will (I am told) double, yes, double the number of english pages going from 4 to 8. Which as several of you folks pointed out is very good news as the expanded pages combined with David “Batboy” Frazier’s editorship will make a great addition to the english language media here in Taiwan.

I always did want to write for an “alternative” weekly, so here is a good chance to do so.

Flicka, you mentioned This Month in Taiwan; has it changed over the past few years into a monthly with “real articles”. When I say “real articles” I mean something other than an advert hiding as an article or reprints of Taiwan Tourism Bored press releases. I have not seen it in several years, that is why I ask.

happy holidays,
Brian

Brain,

Congrts.

“POTS is distributed free” Great. Will there be an online edition of it?

Maybe I can also help for a while since my Chinese should be a little bit better than my English, and I am preparing for translation entrance exam things.

This is my Chinese work in ChinaTimes available online:
sshcf.chinatimes.com/c1-005.htm

From what I gather, they have made a real effort to put some real articles in, but these seem to be clouded by “businessman of the month” or “hotel of the month” or “my business bought an ad so I am featured this month” type stories. And the tacky ads, the ones they have been running for, well, it seems like 15 years, are still there. My instincts tell me this is because of the local owners, not really the younger editors they have brought in.

Happy holidays to you too.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“brianlkennedy”]

Flicka, you mentioned This Month in Taiwan; has it changed over the past few years into a monthly with “real articles”. When I say “real articles” I mean something other than an advert hiding as an article or reprints of Taiwan Tourism Bored press releases. I have not seen it in several years, that is why I ask.
[/quote]

From what I gather, they have made a real effort to put some real articles in, but these seem to be clouded by “businessman of the month” or “hotel of the month” or “my business bought an ad so I am featured this month” type stories. And the tacky ads, the ones they have been running for, well, it seems like 15 years, are still there. My instincts tell me this is because of the local owners, not really the younger editors they have brought in.

Happy holidays to you too.[/quote]

Look for TMIT to revert to what Brian has described. The “real articles” typo’s, grammatical errors and all were my doing, (including that insightful, albeit maligned, piece on Forumosa.com). I was officially released in December, but I quit writing in October over a salary dispute. Should you like the whole story send me a PM…its quite funny/tragic. Should any new editor wish to sign on there I advise extreme caution.

David, hire me to write some “real” artices at POTS, my kids are starting to complain about the oatmeal and/or baloney meals they been living on recenntly, and I could use the salary to buy them some gourmet dofu as tasty alternative.

Congratulations, make money! (Translation: Gong Xi Fa Tsai)

Chou Do Fu

From memory, I recall that it’s en.pots.com.tw.

I just browsed there, and it appears to be a bit of an experiment using Slash for the moment. Bloglike, if you know what I mean.

I couldn’t figure out if it is the actual weekly mag content, or quoted portions of it … and I didn’t have the patience to investigate further.

What’s the story with POTS delivery schedule? I thought it came out on Thursdays, but sometimes I can’t find it until Saturday. I need my POTS to plan my weekend, yo!

How bout an impromtu, biased review of this weeks issue?

Front page headline was pretty funny this week. Best thing I have ever heard Frazier say about electronic music. What is that girl holding in the front page picture? Is that rush? Cool.

Liked the prison story. I demand more punk rock rumble stories!!!

Two stars for a Namie Amuro concert? You got to be kidding me. She ain’t that hot.

Kennedy’s last column was better than this one. He should bottle indignation and sell it to the the dignant.

Wino pete is okay. Seems to be just phoning it in. Can’t he add info on the sex industry a la the Night Owl in Krung Tep? That would be cool.

What was that 700 horny women crap on the opening page. Somebody help David write some stuff quick. POTS ain’t ready for more than 8 pages just yet.

At the massive pay rate of NT$1 per word? Sort of like writing something for a couple of six-packs of beer. Are English teachers even that desparate?

Now there is an idea if i ever heard one! Mr. Frazier should work out a deal with a neighboring writer waterhole and have the POTS pittances go toward writers’ tabs. He’ll create an empire of expat alcoholic writers.

You can always get construction workers, fisherman and writers to work for beer.

In or around Datong District? You can pick up POTS at Nook Cafe Theatre on Chengde Road near Minquan West Road MRT. Only about 7 minutes’ walk from the China Post office.

I tend to agree with chainsmoker that POTS isn’t ready for 12 pages yet, unless Mr. Frazier gets some help. I read it regularly and respect the fact that it is still “in the making,” and I certainly support the notion, but it IS a bit boring. The listings are OK - but frankly, people don’t want to read about happenings AFTER the fact … how about some get-up-and-go PREviews to make POTS really stand out?

Man, no one has driven a stake through the heart of that sorry rag yet? I am sorry to admit that I actually wrote freelance columns for them about 10 years ago, but passed off the responsibility to someone else as soon as I could. After that, whenever TMIT was mentioned, it usually was in connection with disputes with the owner. I recall about five years back an ABC editor named Norbert was going to sue the owner, but I don’t recall the details or the outcome.

Quick poll: who here has written for or edited TMIT, besides Chou Dofu? With approximate dates. C’mon, fess up. I bet it’s a lot …

My term was late '94 to early '95, incidentally.

Most of POTS content now goes up online every Thursday or Friday at http://en.pots.com.tw. Though unfortunately this doesn’t include listings yet, it does include some preview info on bands, exhibitions, DJs, and other events. You can also see Brian L. Kennedy’s recent columns there and other main articles.

If anyone wants to write for POTS, I’m always open to ideas. I have put “how to collect your beer money” at the top of the freelancer’s pay form, but it’s not quite NT$1/wd (Wolf, thanks for assuming). The focus is entertainment and alternative information. There’s also a page for “first person” accounts. Email to extra@lihpao.com

What is the time frame for getting the listings online? Also, how much would you pay for these old articles i dug up? I am cleaning out my old hard drive.

“Hippie Imperialism and its impact on the Bushiban”
“Taiwan now best kungfu island - take that Hainan Dao!!!”
“My Crazy Cross-Cultural Teaching Experiences in China”
“Thailand Prostitutioin: different culture and just like dating for us or slaves chained in a basement”
“How I out-wackied Japan, one citizen at a time.”
“Overcoming Yellow Fever: the Model years”

Ouch! I heard it was NT$1/word, but you say it is less? NT$1/sentence?
Will POTS take anything from anyone? Does it have to be about pots or can it be about other things?

To clarify, the rate is not quite as low as NT$1/wd. And yes, we accept submissions from anyone.

Yes, anyone can submit, but my point, if I could be serious for a second, was what does POTS want? What subjects or topics?