Poultry seasoning in Danshui or Taipei?

Well, I could have sworn I had a bottle of this, but it must have gone bad and gotten tossed. The Wellcome store is loaded with pepper, pepper salt, pepper this and pepper that, but nothing remotely resembling poultry seasoning.

Anyone gotten this lately and if so, where? Thinking about trying City Super in Tian Mu, seems I saw a selection of seasoning (how’s that for alliteration?) last time I was there.

Cooking up a turkey dinner Sunday, would like to make my stuffing taste right. :slight_smile:

Make your own stuffing. All you need is onions, parsley, bread crumbs, sage, butter and chicken brooth whatever you want to put in it. I bought everything here in Guandu

yep, i just made some that came out fine, celery and thyme on top of what you have there only.

Costco has large bottles of various seasoning mixes – I seem to recall at least one being poultry-related, Montreal chicken seasoning, I think. I wouldn’t use it in stuffing, though.

IMO the big bottles aren’t worth it unless you’re going to use them A LOT, as they eventually go stale, clog up, and so on. Also, it will taste the same every time, which is a bore. It’s better to keep a stock of smaller bottles that you can use up while they’re still fresh, and also buy or plant some potted herbs for the window sill or balcony, then look up recipes that call for individual herbs and spices, not premixed ones. That way you can vary the spices a bit from time to time, for interest. If you see recipes for premixed ones, just search online for how to mix your own.

In your case, the above posters have good suggestions. If you want more, then in addition to the other ingredients in the recipe such as what michaelcrace suggests, you could use a mix of thyme, sage, parsley and tarragon, for instance, or celery, thyme and sage, or look up any of the countless roast bird with herb stuffing recipes, and see what they use, and try that. It’s hard to go wrong. Generally using just one or two good herbs (fresh!) is nice, as it lets a particular note ring clear in the flavor. A medley of compatible herbs is also very enjoyable.

Any A-Mart, RT-Mart, etc, will have a small jar of poultry seasoning. They also will have some small boxes of a few cubes of poultry seasoning. I can’t find beef seasoning but always find poultry and pork seasoning.
Ya, I know! Not the best but when in a hurry it works.
Yellow jug or box with a pic of the critter on the label. Check near the spices section.
I admit that DIY is much better but . . . . sometimes there is just not enough time.

Enigma, are you talking about chicken bouillon, for making soup? That’s the stuff that comes in cubes, and in little yellow (Maggi?) jars, and the stuff you can get in chicken and pork but usually not beef flavor locally. I think the OP means something different, a bottle of premixed dry herbs to add to stuffing for poultry.

Soup from scratch takes time, but mixing a few dry herbs from separate jars takes less than an extra minute.

Dragon;
Yep;
The powder stuff is not great but acceptable. What else is there? If there is something beyond the boullion, I’ll go get it. I have just never seen it other than doing it myself.
BTW, the beef boullion doesn’t seem to be available here. I got a jar of this sent from America from a friend. The Costco beef powder for gravy from Costco goes off quickly and I have not had more than one bottle of powder go more than a couple months.
The bouilion seem to be the best option. Not the greatest - but the best, other than DIY.

I am making my own stuffing, which is why I’m looking for poultry seasoning. If you have that in Guandu, could you please tell me where?

Let me clarify:

I’m looking for a jar of powdered poultry seasoning, not to make soup. Poultry seasoning contains sage, thyme, and some other stuff. I’ll settle for separate bottles of sage, thyme, rosemary, etc. if the combination is not to be found.

My problem so far is that all I’ve found locally (in Danshui) is pepper, pepper salt, yada yada. I don’t have a lot of time to run around looking, because I’m in classes all day at Tamkang. I will have time on Saturday, but I’d like to pinpoint a location where I can be sure to find seasonings. So many times when I go back to places I’ve been before, they don’t have what I want. I was hoping to find something closer to home, as I already made a trip to Tian Mu last weekend (and didn’t think to look for poultry seasoning at Wellman’s!).

I only did a search for “poultry seasoning” but now I’ll go do one for “thyme” “sage” etc.

I am making my own stuffing, which is why I’m looking for poultry seasoning. If you have that in Guandu, could you please tell me where?[/quote]
To make it yourself, use approximately equal amounts of:

• rosemary*
  • thyme*
  • tarragon!
  • Italian parsley+
  • sage*
  • marjoram*
  • savory*
  • onion powder*
  • Ingredients in both the high-end and cheap “poultry seasoning” in my spice cabinet at the moment.
  • Ingredient in the high-end organic poultry seasoning in my spice cabinet
    ! Ingredient I like to use when seasoning poultry :roflmao:

The two secret ingredients to amazing stuffing are homemade cornbread allowed to go stale for a few days and melted unsalted butter instead of chicken or other stock. To really knock the socks off your guests, season the stuffing with a big stick of fresh rosemary, a handful of chopped thyme, and a couple of pinches of chopped fresh sage… and make sure you include finely chopped onion and celery. MUCH tastier than most of the dried crap anyway! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Enigma”]Dragon;
Yep;
The powder stuff is not great but acceptable. What else is there? If there is something beyond the boullion, I’ll go get it. I have just never seen it other than doing it myself.
BTW, the beef boullion doesn’t seem to be available here. I got a jar of this sent from America from a friend. The Costco beef powder for gravy from Costco goes off quickly and I have not had more than one bottle of powder go more than a couple months.
The bouilion seem to be the best option. Not the greatest - but the best, other than DIY.[/quote]

No, Enigma, these are two different item groups entirely. This thread isn’t about powdered bouillon.
Bouillonor stock powder (or cubes) is the powdered or cubed stuff which you dissolve in hot water, to make a broth.
Seasoningis a mixture of dried spices which add flavor to meat (e.g. as a rub, or added to a marinade), but which can also be added to a variety of dishes, including in stuffing, e.g.this one

[quote]Poultry Seasoning

1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns or 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper

1. Ground ingredients together in a spice grinder, mini-food processor or a mortar and pestle.

Makes about 1/3 cup.[/quote]

You guys are missing the point here.

I can’t find the spices I need to make the stuffing, let alone the spices I need to make the poultry seasoning! I make wonderful stuffing when I have the ingredients I need. Bread, no problem. Onion, no problem. Oysters, no problem. Seasonings…zip, zilch, nada, meiyou.

So please, someone just confirm where I can get them. I saw an old post that said that little store over by Di Hua St. used to have seasonings. Before I go all that way, has anyone seen them recently? Or anywhere else recently?

I should have just bought them at Park 'n Shop in Hong Kong last time I was there, stupid me. Now that I have my convection oven, I’m cooking a lot more than I used to, but all the spices I brought with me when I moved got weirded out by the dampness here, and I had to toss 'em. Now I only have a couple. :frowning:

Hi CB, I got it; I just don’t have an answer for you, as I don’t know the stores in your area. Wellmans and Jasons, and most likely the other upscale supermarkets should have them, but I don’t know what’s in your area. The flower markets also carry the basic herbs in potted form, which I strongly recommend. No need to go to Hong Kong, though.

Sorry for lack of patience, haven’t been doing well lately, due to the 6 young folk who moved in downstairs and who keep slamming doors all night long, up until 3:30 a.m. sometimes, making it impossible to sleep. Have noticed nerves are frayed more than usual and always on the verge of tears, even over such a simple little thing as lack of spices. Cried in class today, haven’t done that in a long time.

Have brown thumb, afraid to try potted herbs, plus cat would probably eat them. Had forgotten about Jason’s, thanks for the reminder, think I’ll make a run over there Saturday. Or I’ll send my dinner guest, since he’s going into Taipei for class tomorrow.

Well, just so you know, a pot of herbs doesn’t cost anymore than one measly plastic packet of fresh herbs at Jason’s, so even if you only manage to keep it alive for a few weeks or months and only use it a few times, it’s still a better value. Of course, the bottles of dried stuff last longer, but they really, REALLY aren’t as nice and fragrant as fresh herbs.

Hm, maybe I’ll try that, then, keeping them outside away from kitty.

Just got a note from a local resident who may have some to give me, will be ever so happy if that’s so. Miss being able to borrow cooking stuff from neighbors!

Miraculously silent this evening, hope it lasts cuz I’m tired and want sleep.

Welcome should carry most of your spices, City/Jason’s etc for sure, since you mentioned tienmu Wellman’s will sort you out for anything you can’t track down at the supermarkets.

Sorry! No boullion cubes. I get sage powder at Banciou FE21. They may have others too.
Also try P&P food and spice. Do a search for a map. They seem to have many spices and are very accomodating on orders. I have not found a single store that can supply everything I, or you, want. I just keep a list of stores where I can usualy find what I want. I think everybody here has the same experience. Also, if you find it and want it - buy it all because it won’t be there the next time you want it. I recall a store in Junghe that had Jiffy cornbread mix. I bought it all and went back a couple months later to get some more. They were still out and when I inquired about a re-order, was told that they wouldn’t re-order because people bought all they had too fast. I guess, just too much trouble to order and stock. WTF.
Such is life.