'Power' move by male students ruffles U. of C

The unemployment rate for men is higher than for women, and what’s your bet there are still programs in place to get women into profressions where they are under represented, or to get them into university programs or whatever.

Take a walk down skid row and see how well the male population is represented there.

That organization has a point.

Agreed.

Wah! Wah! Wah! Life is so unfair![/quote]

It’s interesting you choose to ridicule this quote, but none of the numerous quotes in this thread about women lagging behind men. Do you disagree with this particular piece of information, or do you just think people should not point out non PC statistics?[/quote]

I don’t like whiners in general. Especially whiners who claim the exclusive right to whine.

If your government is engaged in discriminatory monetary and hiring practices against your sex it isn’t “whining” to point it out. That group is probably a gag, I mean “raising awareness about the male experience… hello?” but that doesn’t mean they aren’t correct on some level.

[quote=“spook”][quote=“Byshguy”][quote=“spook”]

Wah! Wah! Wah! Life is so unfair![/quote]

It’s interesting you choose to ridicule this quote, but none of the numerous quotes in this thread about women lagging behind men. Do you disagree with this particular piece of information, or do you just think people should not point out non PC statistics?[/quote]

I don’t like whiners in general. Especially whiners who claim the exclusive right to whine.[/quote]

No one claimed an exclusive right to whining. But you chose to single out the whiner who whined about males being underrepresented in wealth, and I chose to point out that you chose to accost them while not bringing up those who, in this thread, would whine about women being underrepresented. That’s all.

There have been policies and programs in place designed to bring some balance to the earning power of men and women. Those programs and policies were probably a good idea. At some point however they will have begun to out live their usefulness and will need to be phased out. If the unemployment rate among men is twenty percent higher than among women it is reasonable to suggest that the time is now. No need for anger or insults. Just a bit of common sense.

I’d trade legal status with women in the U.S. any day. Then they’d really have something to whine about.

[quote=“housecat”]
This kind of thing just mystified me when I first returned to the States. Really, I don’t think the US has always been this way.[/quote]
:roflmao: I know you don’t mean it to be that way, but yes, the US has always been that way. It used to be called Jim Crow, The White Boy’s Club, etc.

[quote=“bob”]The unemployment rate for men is higher than for women, and what’s your bet there are still programs in place to get women into profressions where they are under represented, or to get them into university programs or whatever.

Take a walk down skid row and see how well the male population is represented there.

That organization has a point.[/quote]

Well, if that’s the case, then I should start one for Blacks/Latinos/Asians. Especially for blacks seeing how the unemployement rate are sky high right now for us. As the saying goes “Last in, first to go.” :wink:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“housecat”]
This kind of thing just mystified me when I first returned to the States. Really, I don’t think the US has always been this way.[/quote]
:roflmao: I know you don’t mean it to be that way, but yes, the US has always been that way. It used to be called Jim Crow, The White Boy’s Club, etc.[/quote]

Yes, I know THOSE things have always been. I meant that I used to think that Americans were generally able to, and generally inclined to, think for themselves. Now, everything is soundbites and people don’t seem to know much about any kind of history or think very far beyond next week.

From the article you posted, I don’t think that the members of that MiP group are doing any harm, but the seem silly to me to whine about having things so tough and women have all these help groups and organizations and so on. We have them because we’ve needed them. We still need them. And things have changed, it’s true, but in all kinds of ways. These days, if you lay off a woman, you’re much more likely to be laying off a single mom. Back in the day, women were paid less, but they weren’t as often the sole support of their children. Now, we’re still paid less, though more than before, but many of us are also raising our children alone.

Does being a white woman mean that I can’t understand prejudice and discrimination? Of course not. Especially a white woman who has lived in many places and cultures. You can bet I’ve know discrimination and prejudice. But does anyone want to hear a white woman in America whine about prejudice and discrimination? Of course not. If I started a group to make people aware of how I, and many other white American women, have been the victums of prejudice and descrimination, I’d end up with a mailbox full of hate mail.

Though no one is arguing that things are tougher now for white men than they were before, it still is off putting to hear them complain. It’s been very tough for a lot of people for a long, long time. That’s all I’m saying.

I don’t hear them whining about how tough it is. I hear them complaining that their government has policies in place that discriminate against men on the basis of their sex at a time when the unemployment rate among men is twenty percent higher than among women. If they can’t complain about that now when will they be able to complain?

I’m curious too where in the article it said that was a “white man’s club.” There may be a number of races represented. There may be women. Women can see when a system has become unjust, can’t they?

[quote]
Yes, I know THOSE things have always been. I meant that I used to think that Americans were generally able to, and generally inclined to, think for themselves. Now, everything is soundbites and people don’t seem to know much about any kind of history or think very far beyond next week. [/quote]I used to think a lot of stuff about America, then I realized that I was looking at it thru rose-colored glasses. Or perhaps, I just realized that a major internal shift happened for me mentally/emotionally, where I no longer hold the tribal mentality of America after living abroad. It happens for everyone. I like to call it “Not in kansas anymore” syndrome. :smiley:

[quote]From the article you posted, I don’t think that the members of that MiP group are doing any harm, but the seem silly to me to whine about having things so tough and women have all these help groups and organizations and so on. [/quote] I don’ t see any harm in it either, but probably doesn’t set right for some,who think that since whites are majority in America, and have always had a level of privilege then it’s silly to have such a group.

[quote]Does being a white woman mean that I can’t understand prejudice and discrimination? Of course not. Especially a white woman who has lived in many places and cultures. You can bet I’ve know discrimination and prejudice. But does anyone want to hear a white woman in America whine about prejudice and discrimination? Of course not. If I started a group to make people aware of how I, and many other white American women, have been the victums of prejudice and descrimination, I’d end up with a mailbox full of hate mail.[/quote] No you would end up on Oprah.

[quote=“bob”]I don’t hear them whining about how tough it is. I hear them complaining that their government has policies in place that discriminate against men on the basis of their sex at a time when the unemployment rate among men is twenty percent higher than among women. If they can’t complain about that now when will they be able to complain?

I’m curious too where in the article it said that was a “white man’s club.” There may be a number of races represented. There may be women. Women can see when a system has become unjust, can’t they?[/quote]

There are women in the club. And no where in the article does it say it’s a “white man’s club” but that’s certainly a subtext you could read into it.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“bob”]The unemployment rate for men is higher than for women, and what’s your bet there are still programs in place to get women into profressions where they are under represented, or to get them into university programs or whatever.

That organization has a point.[/quote]

Well, if that’s the case, then I should start one for Blacks/Latinos/Asians. Especially for blacks seeing how the unemployement rate are sky high right now for us. As the saying goes “Last in, first to go.” :wink:[/quote]

I hate to break it to you NAma, but there are already lot’s and lot’s of groups like that.

1. Does anyone in America like anyone else (or even themselves) in America?

2. The cultural shift seems to have been from a large segment of one group having a massive sense of entitlement to large segments of several groups having a massive sense of entitlement (if not for themselves, then for others).

The entire culture seems to need to chill the fuck out, especially with so many guns involved (see the latest dickhead who killed a doctor?). It must be a hard place to live.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]1. Does anyone in America like anyone else (or even themselves) in America?

1. The cultural shift seems to have been from a large segment of one group having a massive sense of entitlement to large segments of several groups having a massive sense of entitlement (if not for themselves, then for others).

The entire culture seems to need to chill the fuck out, especially with so many guns involved (see the latest dickhead who killed a doctor?). It must be a hard place to live.[/quote]

Yes, we all hate ourselves and everyone else… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Despite a torrent of bitchy comments about ‘white male privilege’, I can find nothing to suggest the group is organized along racial lines. . .

The human mind is a very ugly thing.

Three guesses why the women are there!

Women have evolved a deep desire to submit to men’s power and leadership. That’s why they’re smaller than us. (Well, until they start putting on weight.)

Maybe we should start a mens’ group here in Taiwan. Do a little drumming…have a good cry about our fathers…organize unlicensed fistfights…

I’d have to tear myself away from the feminine affections that permeate my life like bubbles in beer but, yeah, that sounds good.

Wimmin are like bear farts? Sexist!