Power of attorney for Taiwan bank account?

I’m wondering if anyone know this and I’m not quite sure what it’s called.

I am looking to open a bank account in Taiwan where I’ll pay myself with. However, I’m not able to be in Taiwan all the time and Taiwans banking is rather annoying with international transfers sometimes and my Chinese reading comprehension is basic even if I do online banking. (Unless there is one that can be done in English?)

It would be good if I can allow my father or another family member to have access where I can have them do the things I need as they’re in Taiwan.

Is this possible?

Power of Attorney service right here.

2 Likes

Contact the individual bank and ask what they require.

Usually all you needed to mess with a person’s account on their behalf (like withdraw money and all that) is the bank book and the stamp that is bound to it. Which is why both of these items are often in a safe.

They might have a 代理書 that you must fill out and they would take it, and your ID in order to do business on your behalf, but different organizations have their own requirement as to what is required.

That said, Taiwan doesn’t seem to have much of a “power of attorney” law. Some things like household registration related businesses can’t ever be done with a power of attorney and you must be physically present at the office to do it. Sometimes a family member is allowed to represent you. One complication for you to open a bank account is that if you are out of Taiwan for too long (more than two years), your household registration is cancelled. It does not mean you lose your citizenship by the way but it does mean you lose stuff like NHI, pensions, etc. and I suspect it may not allow you to open a bank account, as you basically are considered an overseas chinese at this point. You must return to Taiwan, reestablish your houkou, and wait 6 months to get them back.

There is a reason why Taiwanese comes back every two years.

1 Like

You must open the account yourself in person. Your family cannot do it for you since you are an adult. While you are at it, also ask to setup online banking, mobile banking, ATM banking, etc. Then you can do pretty much everything remotely.

Go to potential banks’ websites, and check if they have English pages. If so, check to see if you can understand their English. One bank I do not recommend - Chang Hwa Bank - the English contents are horrendous. I cannot make sense half of the contents.

That part i got. It’s not a problem. But Taiwan has some weird international transfer rules like having to be there in person for the first time. I need someone to be able to handle my account and not worry about it.

Try Sinopac. You can set up NTD passbook account and Foreign Currency passbook account. When need Pound or whatever, you transfer between the 2, online.
Then, if you want to send overseas, you can use online, too (do not need to be in person). There is a limit of like NT$2,000,000 (roughly US$60,000) each time. There may also be a limit to how many times you can do the N$2mn transfer online each month.
If you are doing a huge amount of transfers, then you may need a person in Taiwan to go do transfers at the counter, because then you can transfer like US$500,000 each time at the bank branch.

Good luck!

1 Like

So that’s why my wife was looking for my bank book.