Power of attorney for US Car sale

Greetings!

I’m helping a friend of a friend sell a car. Friend’s friend lived in California for studies but has returned to Taiwan. The car is legally owned by her (meaning no loan with car dealership) and she is not planning to return to States. If she has a Power of Attorney signed and notarized by AIT, will it be accepted by DMV in US?

I will follow up with DMV here in States, but going to DMV takes a lot of time and is NO FUN! Any replies or comments would really be appreciated.

Thank you!
-AL (writechen)

I have prepared, and used, my own powers of attorney from time to time, and I’d place 98% odds that the POA you describe will be sufficient.

THANK YOU! :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, here are the 2 POA forms I am having prepared:

dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg260.htm
This is the link to .pdf file of POA from California DMV. The form asks for a US address. As friend’s friend is currently in Taiwan, I worry that a Taiwan address may not be accepted. I wonder if I can have friend’s friend enter address when she stayed in California? But will that not be valid as document will not be notarized in California (US)?

docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cach … l=en&gl=us
This is the POA I found from AIT website. It asks for the owner’s “presently residing at” address, as well as the current address for the person being granted authority to sell vehicle (me). There’s also a blank space to complete what type of power is being transferred from one party to the other.

Overall, I feel more confident with having the AIT form completed. I’ve made an appointment with DMV to review this document in case I don’t get answers over the phone. I want to make sure I get this done correctly without spending too much time & paying additional fees. Plus, timing is important as there’s a buyer on the line waiting to purchase car!

Much obliged,
-AL

Your insecurity is … misplaced. POAs are used quite regularly and widely accepted, as long as it is notarized. (Servicemen on overseas assignment use them regularly.)

Don’t worry about the form. You can write your own POA on a blank piece of paper if you want. If its notarized, and states the power you are granting, its good to go.

[quote=“Opihiman”]Your insecurity is … misplaced. POAs are used quite regularly and widely accepted, as long as it is notarized. (Servicemen on overseas assignment use them regularly.)

Don’t worry about the form. You can write your own POA on a blank piece of paper if you want. If its notarized, and states the power you are granting, its good to go.[/quote]

I’ve had past experience where I was told a notarized document (from Taiwan) would not be accepted in US for home purchase, so I hope you can understand my concern. But thanks for redirecting my insecurities Opihiman!

Anyway, we should all be set to go. Xie xie!

AL