Permanent Residence: how to go about it?

Hello there

Having been in Taiwan for some time I would like to apply for permanent residency in here. Is there an English language document that details (i) what conditions must be met in order to successfully apply and (ii) the procedures that must be followed. Very grateful for any advice.

Pat

The information and requirements for applying for Permanent Residency are widely available in Chinese. Why not just get those and go over them with some of your Chinese friends?

Hi
Try this - It has english version too.
http://www.boca.gov.tw/appli/visafp.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Power: [b]Hello there

Having been in Taiwan for some time I would like to apply for permanent residency in here. Is there an English language document that details (i) what conditions must be met in order to successfully apply and (ii) the procedures that must be followed. Very grateful for any advice.

Pat[/b]

I picked up a printed copy of all the requirements
necessary for a PR at the Foreign Affairs
Police Office in Taipei at the information desk.

If you are in Taipei, maybe you can still get one there.

I heard they don’t like to help you too much in English over the phone.

Recently I was visited by a USA citizen residing in a certain southern Taiwan city who was having a long running argument with the local Foreign Affairs Police Department about his eligibility for permanent residence.

He has lived in the ROC for over six years, and been married to an ROC national for over two years. The Police claimed that he would have to be married for five years or more in order to apply for permanent residence. His point of view was that there is no such stipulation in the law per se.

This is a good example of where foreigners have to stand up for their rights in order to get better treatment.