Practical tips for living in the (sub)tropics

1. Bathe regularly.

2. Drink beer.

3. Use a chamois to dry yourself after bathing, and a bath towel to finish the job.

4. Walk slowly.

5. Drink beer with ice.

6. Use deodorant…lots of deodorant.

7. Launder three times a week.

8. Memorise this phrase. 請幫幫我,我需要馬上喝啤酒

1 Like

why have you posted this in the Animal Adoptions forum?

Thank you. I had no idea.

1 Like
  1. Purchase a tube of four-in-one anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-itching, anti-inflammatory skin cream from your local pharmacy. Apply to any skin issue as soon as you notice it.
1 Like

I initially read this as “Apply to any skin tissue” and, yup, some days that still applies.

1 Like

Buy a good brand dehumidifier

1 Like

I come from what is considered a tropical paradise… compared to Taiwan, it is.

1. Talc. On your back, chest, between your pride and joy if you of the female gender, between your legs but not over the precious bits for both male and female and any other, in your socks and shoes and over your feet, and anywhere else it may chaft.

2. Rose cream for the most tender bits.

Plus one to the dehumidifier suggestion.

I don’t think I could live without tea tree oil, which I apply regularly to my feet (between the toes!) to avoid upteen unhappy visits to dermatologists.

Guy

When renting/buying a house make sure the bathroom has a big window and vents to keep the bathroom dry, smelling good and free of mold.

4 Likes

where do you buy tea oil? isnt it expensive

20180906_101624

2 Likes

I stock up annually in Canada. Costco has good stuff imported from Australia. Three bottles and I’m good for a year.

Guy

1 Like

I use paw-paw cream instead, it lasts longer.

Organic store. Traditional market.

I also use tamanu oil. That one you get on teh internet, local or outside vendors.

1 Like

And you can get it at Costco at a good price.

Keep your Neosporin in the fridge, or it will melt.

Summer on the U.S. West Coast. Stay indoors between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for the other three months of (Taiwan) summer.

put a small fan in your bathroom (or at least at the doorway) and run it after a shower to help dry the floor and your bathtowels.

clean up after eating immediately. get a 豆花桶 to collect organic waste until there’s enough to fill or top off a trash bag. speaking of trash, take it out every day if possible.

keep a small towel with you to wipe off sweat or dry yourself off if you get caught in the rain. don’t forget your umbrella; buy a good one.

edit: cannot stress enough the efficacy of a cold shower.

3 Likes

After you shower, rinse down the walls and floor.
Try and clean them properly once a week or so.
Accumulated dead skin and soap make the bathroom an In-and-Out Burger for cockroaches.

this year i bought a portable mini fan. its actually pretty decent and strong, not poorly made like the ones you find in the night market. the battery isn’t that great though so a power bank helps keep it going if i’m out for a long time.
it looks stupid walking around with a small fan but it absolutely helps hold back the sweat.

2 Likes