Practical tips for living in the (sub)tropics

The conditions in contemporary Taiwan are utterly unlike earlier eras. Concrete boxes designed (if I can use that word) with no thought given to air flow; paved over city spaces that capture heat and do not capture water, which otherwise would act as a moderating/cooling agent; air conditioners blasting hot air into the city’s outdoor spaces—all these changes have made our cities hotter than they otherwise would be.

On the positive side, thank goodness some of the sensible old school overhangs covering some of the sidewalks are still around. Without the shelter they provide, I’d be totally screwed.

Guy

1 Like

People say Taiwan used to not be so hot as well, and obviously most people lived in the countryside and not in concrete jungles.

Out in the inaka there’s many a summer night when I don’t even need a fan, much less AC. That’s unthinkable in Taipei.

1 Like

I’ve been told before that Taipei is situated in what’s essentially a big crater that used to be a lake. So the heat rises and falls back on top of us, making it even hotter. But let’s not let this devolve into a senseless hate-fest :sweat:

Speaking of heat, UV-blocking umbrellas are really handy if you’re not afraid of looking girly. Keeping the sun off you both prevents sunburns and keeps you relatively cooler than you otherwise would be.

2 Likes

well the old chinese houses and apartments (like the ones in di hua jie) were still box like but much better designed. with courtyards and such.
my current building is box with small windows which only half open. its 100% useless.
i mean yea its always gonna be super hot and humid in taiwan but taipei could be a whole lot more livable and people wouldn’t have to leave the ac on all day if some thought was put into these things.

1 Like

You are definitely on the wrong website, there, kiddo :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a hate-fest, anyone who’s not a tian long says Taipei is in a bowl. :smile:

Seriously though, Taipei is the hottest place in Taiwan because of the bowl its in and all the concrete that traps heat.

2 Likes

Pretty much the only time you need to worry about getting a sunburn in Taipei (unless you’re, like, Powder, which there’s nothing wrong with, of course) is the day before a typhoon when the humidity haze gets blown off by the barometric pressure.

No matter how hot it is outside, always wear a vest and/or carry a jacket with you, because every time you go in doors, an air conditioner will blast cold air. You may also consider keeping extra layers at your workplace for that reason.

Sounds cozy

this is pretty important. I keep a light scarf in my bag to wrap around my shoulders in freezing restaurants and stores. A lot of people recommend always wearing a body shirt, tank top, wifebeater, inner layer, whatever you want to call it, no matter the season. Helps with either 1) keeping you warm or 2) wicking the sweat away from your body.

1 Like

triggered

1 Like

Too soon!!

2 Likes

And I will always love you.

Brilliant!

If it hasn’t been mentioned, forget deodorant. It’s a must to have baking soda on hand.

1 Like

Baking soda is excellent for washing clothes and actually removing the sweaty stink.

2 Likes

Always keep your toaster clean and covered between uses so it doesn’t become a roach motel and so that you don’t inadvertently grill a gecko.
Not saying I did that.
This morning.
:face_vomiting:

Poor thing Awwww. Hot Hot

Don´t worry. I still hold the title of gecko killer around here.

Wow, that’s supposed to be really bad luck, man.

I rest my case.