Praying in public

Target of opportunity for the mono-bow set I’d say.

[quote=“Buttercup”]
It can be odd if your boyfriend/girlfriend does culturally incongruent things in public. I know it makes my boy squirm when I act all anglo-saxon in his tiny village; he has to live there and have things get back to his mother[/quote]

I hardly think you can compare LBT’s SO praying quietly to herself with you doing armpit farts during the benediction at Mass and snapping the bras of all the old women feeding pigeons in the central square…

fookin classic post material

Prayer, even when done in public, is still “private”. It wouldn’t be private is she were preaching.

I really don’t understand why so many people have a problem with seeing someone praying in public (see above). They don’t have a problem, however, visiting temples or other places of worship to watch the locals pray. Try doing the tourist thing during a service in a church. Hey, only Christian churches are sacred and all the rest are tourist attractions to watch the heathens do their devil worshiping.

[quote=“Taike”]Prayer, even when done in public, is still “private”. It wouldn’t be private is she were preaching.

I really don’t understand why so many people have a problem with seeing someone praying in public (see above). They don’t have a problem, however, visiting temples or other places of worship to watch the locals pray. Try doing the tourist thing during a service in a church. Hey, only Christian churches are sacred and all the rest are tourist attractions to watch the heathens do their devil worshiping.[/quote]

Don’t be silly. That’s not how it is at all.

I’ve done that ‘the tourist thing’ a few times in Christian churches, without any hassles. Once in England I was in the gloriously Byzantine Westminster Cathedral during a service, and asked the staff if it was ok if I took photos discreetly in the background, without a flash. They told me to fire away to my heart’s content, flash or no. Norwich Cathedral was the same. I suppose with all the bells and smells happening they’re not too fussed about a couple of clicks and pops.

St Martin-in-the-Fields wasn’t holding a service when I visited (they were auditioning a counter-tenor, which was even better), but I don’t think they would have minded given their mission statement. They’re very progressive, with services in Mandarin and Cantonese as well as English.

Anglican churches belong to the people, or the crown, to be more exact. They let foreigners in though to piss about and be crass. Westminster Abbey charges £15 now, though, in a move that is not really OK. Too many loosers with stoopid film cams, for it to be a place of worship and the other stuff it is meant to be. Just because people don’t vocally protest, it doesn’t mean you are welcome to intrude and take pictures.

Just try messing about with those heathens in Thailand.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]

I’ve done that ‘the tourist thing’ a few times in Christian churches, without any hassles. Once in England I was in the gloriously Byzantine Westminster Cathedral during a service, and asked the staff if it was ok if I took photos discreetly in the background, without a flash. They told me to fire away to my heart’s content, flash or no. Norwich Cathedral was the same. I suppose with all the bells and smells happening they’re not too fussed about a couple of clicks and pops.

St Martin-in-the-Fields wasn’t holding a service when I visited (they were auditioning a counter-tenor, which was even better), but I don’t think they would have minded given their mission statement. They’re very progressive, with services in Mandarin and Cantonese as well as English.[/quote]

That’s like that time when Buttercup’s landlady let me into Buttercup’s apartment to take pictures of the apartment that one time when Buttercup was in the shower.

It’s nice when people co-operate.

Was I gloriously Byzantine, honey, was I?

(How much catfood did you have to give her?)

And stop being a weirdo. Although I know that if that happened, we’re talking serious space-time fabric ruptures.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Was I gloriously Byzantine, honey, was I?

(How much catfood did you have to give her?)
[/quote]

You’ll note that I hastily went back and added “of the apartment” to my original post.
I wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.
Pictures of a girl?
Naked?
Eeeewww, gross!

Well, you want pics of my spiderfilled hovel full of paperbacks and odd shoes, be my, erm, univited homebreaker.

‘They call him Flickr, Flickr, the pizza was frightening, evryone you seeeee is sharper than hheeeeeeeeeeeee. Flickr, Flickr, puts on his shoes full of chunder, armpits like thunder, socks full of peeeee’

Not everyone does that.

Well I’m glad I managed to get in before they started that, but I have no objection to them charging given what the upkeep must cost.

I can’t agree with that. The church decides whether or not to let people in, and regulates what they do when they’re there. I did visit a few churches in England which requested that no flash photography be used during services, and I suspect there are others with the same rules. They’re in a position to tell people what to do on their on property.

I agree. That’s why I always made a point of talking with the church staff anywhere I visited, and asking politely what was and wasn’t permitted. Everyone was most accommodating. I think the big churches in particular welcome the publicity tourism provides.

I don’t mess about with any heathens.

The staff aren’t worshipping and have different agendas from the people who use the church. It’s generally not OK, but in London with all the tourists about, there’s not a lot to be done, other than reducing people’s liberties because they cannot self-regulate. That would not be acceptable either. So people just suck it up.

Brits have to pay for Westminster Abbey also. Not OK. Brits are not really happy with having a nationality based two tier system of entry, so tourists ruin it for the rest of us, like so much in southern England.

[quote]

I don’t mess about with any heathens.[/quote]

Not sure what your point is, but then I probably didn’t explain myself either.

Sorry F, the very last thing I want to do is get into a discussion with you, but I really disagree that it’s OK to take photos and act like a tourist in British churches. Having visited temples and churches all over the world, I’m very conscious of my effect and behaviour. It’s interesting to look at temples in Taipei and Beijing to watch how things work and are managed. I’m not saying unbelievers should be denied access, but that a place of worship is not a stop on your holiday, and that people have hugely differing views towards photography. Would you take photos in a hospital, for instance? That wouldn’t bother many, but would make others hugely uncomfortable.

Perhaps Westminster Abbey should just have a tourist hour, to stop the Disneyfication of the place and to preserve it for locals? I should NOT have to pay to visit the site where my former kings are buried and the seat of my country’s national religion because a bunch of people from other continents wish to stamp around and wear it out, should I? That’s absurd.

I have reliable knowledge of a woman who asked her husband to pray with her before sleeping together on their honeymoon. (She was a virgin.)

He said no.

They divorced twenty-something years later, if that sheds any light one way or the other on how good their marriage was.

For my part, I like to spook people on airplanes by closing my eyes and praying “Allahu Akbar!Jihad Amrika dahaka dahaka Allahu Akbar!”

Was Woody Allen, or one of the “Oh God!” movies that had a Jewish guy doing that in a Christian church?

Uppity snuffs…

youtube.com/watch?v=G_dT70sbyP8

All the people I asked were either holding religious orders or were pretending to do so very well (nuns, ministers, priests). I think they have the same agenda as those who use the church, since they actually use the church. In some cases there were also signs identifying church policy.

Why can’t they self-regulate? Is there a law against it? I think it’s more likely that they want thousands of people in the place, and they want all the money they can get in the process. They regulate as little as possible, in order to rake in as much cash as possible. As I said, given their expenses this is hardly surprising. Those churches are always having fundraising drives and announcing appeals for money to support rennovations or upkeep.

My only point was that I don’t mess with heathens.

I don’t think we really disagree all that much. I agree that generally speaking people shouldn’t treat a place of worship as a site for their personal amusement (regardless of how politically incorrect that is these days). On the other hand, if the church invites you to take photos and act like a tourist, then why not? This doesn’t mean you have to be gawping and indiscreet. I never took pictures including any worshippers, for example, and never took pictures during a service. I avoided flash photography whenever possible.

I’ve only visited temples and churches in five different countries, but I agree with you about the importance of being conscious of effect and behaviour.

I agree with this entirely. But it’s all about what the local owners of the place want. Places like Bao-An temple want you to come in just as you are, shoot a couple of hundred photos, plaster them all over the Internet, and tell everyone where you went. Other places want you to remove your shoes, keep your camera in your bag, and speak in whispers. I’m entirely happy doing whatever they want.

I wouldn’t take photos in a hospital, for all kinds of reasons. One is that I have no reason to do so. Another is that I don’t consider it appropriate to do so. Another is that many people in the hospital may find it uncomfortable.

I think you’ve made an excellent suggestion. But you’ll have to talk them into the loss of revenue.

Yep, I guess we think the same really.

If the tourists weren’t there the upkeep issues would be different. Westminster Abbey, for all their protestations, is owned by the crown and the state. If we accept that the Queen is no longer the defender of the faith and that W.A is simply a business, and we don’t want it any more then that’s fine. Let Japanese tourists pay for it and fuck it up however they want; turn it into ‘The Great Wall of China’. But the people it belongs to (me) don’t get much of a say.

And don’t get me started on the National Gallery. :laughing:

Oh Heavenly Father,
Please smite these heathen posters from our midst. Rain brimstone upon their persons and do it Old Testament style. In thy holy name I pray.

Amen

Ooooooooooooh! Amakabaragala keerookie noolie booly fulllyboxonittttttttttttttitttttttty!

Hay, did you ask if you could post urodacus’ picture?