PRC and Transit visas

Hey Everybody!

I’m going to be flying into Taipei soon from the USA. I found a flight where I would land at a reasonable time, but I would be laid over in Beijing for a few hours. My question is: would I need a transit visa? I know that if I was just transferring for a flight to Korea or Thailand, I would not need a visa if my layover was less that 72 hours because I would not really be entering China. However, I don’t know if the One China policy might screw me over here and require that I have a visa.

tl;dr. Do I need a PRC transit visa if I am flying from the USA to Taipei via Beijing?

No, you don’t if you’re a US citizen. USA is one of the countries in a list whose citizens can stay in Beijin and Shanghai for 72 hours without a visa. You might want to fly in one day, visit the city over the weekend, then fly to US.

I am a EU national and I enjoy the same right. I have done the above in Shanghai many times when flying to Italy. I usually even change airports (Hongqiao to Pudong) so that I can fly out of Songshan instead of going to Taoyuan.

[quote=“Novaspes”]No, you don’t if you’re a US citizen. USA is one of the countries in a list whose citizens can stay in Beijin and Shanghai for 72 hours without a visa. You might want to fly in one day, visit the city over the weekend, then fly to US.

I am a EU national and I enjoy the same right. I have done the above in Shanghai many times when flying to Italy. I usually even change airports (Hongqiao to Pudong) so that I can fly out of Songshan instead of going to Taoyuan.[/quote]

Does it take long to process through airport when arriving in China for 72 hour layover? Special line or just follow the crowd through immigration?

[quote=“tango42”][quote=“Novaspes”]No, you don’t if you’re a US citizen. USA is one of the countries in a list whose citizens can stay in Beijin and Shanghai for 72 hours without a visa. You might want to fly in one day, visit the city over the weekend, then fly to US.

I am a EU national and I enjoy the same right. I have done the above in Shanghai many times when flying to Italy. I usually even change airports (Hongqiao to Pudong) so that I can fly out of Songshan instead of going to Taoyuan.[/quote]

Does it take long to process through airport when arriving in China for 72 hour layover? Special line or just follow the crowd through immigration?[/quote]

No, just go through the normal immigration gate and state that you have a outbound flight within 72 hours. You will be routed to a secondary gate and wait a little, but overall the tims it takes is maybe 5 minutes more than a normal entry.