PRC missiles - USSR missiles. What's the difference?

I grew up at a time when thousands of Soviet nuclear ICBMs were pointing at my country, and more specifically at an air force base down the road.

What is the difference with that and PRC missiles pointing at Taiwan? I’m serious. We didn’t go around ranting and raving about the Commies pointing missiles at us. I know they did in the US but that’s America (and of course in those days the missiles couldn’t even reach America :unamused:)

Is it different because we had Europe in between us and the USSR?

I really don’t get it. When I hear this “600 missiles” bit I want to do a Four Yorkshiremen and go “Bloody Luxury! When I were a lad we 'ad four 'undred thousand Soviet nyoookler missahles pointed attus that cudduv blown’t world skaah haaah an 'undred taaams owavah!”

600 missiles? Nothing. Walk in the park. This shit is what I grew up with, makes the Chicoms look like a bunch a fairies.

So what’s the difference?

Maybe because we had just as many pointing back at them ? But did people really believe the russkies would use them ? They didn’t threaten to every other week. And on our side we had Thatcher and Reagan and the entire Nato forces who you don’t want to mess with, while Taiwan has… er… what they’ve got.

[quote=“hexuan”]
What is the difference with that and PRC missiles pointing at Taiwan?[/quote]The difference is that we knew that barring any sort of accident or misinterpretation of events, only US aggression would put those Soviet ICBMs into flight. With the Chinese, all we in Taiwan have to do is to say we don’t want to be thier bitch, and the missiles may fly.
I think that time has shown us that the Russians were mainly concerned about protecting the rodina (by and large, a few hardliners and the Cuban crisis excepted), not with expanding thier empire. The missiles were there because they were genuinely concerned (right or wrong) the Americans would attack them. The Chinese have nukes not as a defensive posture, but as an offensive capability to back up thier efforts in attaining foreign policy goals.

BTW. When ah were a laad, we hat hundert missaisles drop on owah ouse an bloo us up everday of tweek, an still ad to go work int mill nex day. :wink:

So the principle differences are:

(1) We had missiles too, and
(2) The USSR had no intention of using them except in self-defense
(3) The PRC intends to expand its empire but the USSR didn’t.

Are the missiles pointed at Taiwan nuclear?

They’re nuclear capable.

they wont send nukes to taiwan, china will get the radiation as well, there is no nuclear war.

The USSR wanted ice-free bases for their Atlantic submarine fleet. For some in North-Europe, the treath was/is real and active.

[quote=“hexuan”]I grew up at a time when thousands of Soviet nuclear ICBMs were pointing at my country, and more specifically at an air force base down the road.

What is the difference with that and PRC missiles pointing at Taiwan? I’m serious. We didn’t go around ranting and raving about the Commies pointing missiles at us. I know they did in the US but that’s America (and of course in those days the missiles couldn’t even reach America :unamused:)[/quote]

They wouldn’t reach America??? Really??? I think you’d better do some research on Soviet ICBMs and their deployment. Here’s a good place to start:

fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/icbm/index.html

And;

nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/Sovwarhead.html

[quote=“hexuan”]Is it different because we had Europe in between us and the USSR?

I really don’t get it. When I hear this “600 missiles” bit I want to do a Four Yorkshiremen and go “Bloody Luxury! When I were a lad we 'ad four 'undred thousand Soviet nyoookler missahles pointed attus that cudduv blown’t world skaah haaah an 'undred taaams owavah!”

600 missiles? Nothing. Walk in the park. This shit is what I grew up with, makes the Chicoms look like a bunch a fairies.

So what’s the difference?[/quote]

So lots of people here simply want to do a Scarlett O’Hara: “I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow.”

If the chinese aim missiles as well as they drive,I don’t think we’ll have much to worry about.

you must be joking hexuan. the ussr were pointing those things for a laugh. you’re talking about china now.

Funny how some people get their kicks.

Chinese technology is very low just look at their cars. I doubt their missles will not hit anything except for the Pan-blue Kimmin and Matsu