PRC's anti-secession law

What should Taiwan’s response the the anti-secession law be?

• Surrender immediately
  • Ignore it
  • Pass an anti anti-secession law
  • Hold a referendum on whether China should invade Taiwan
  • Grant the PRC independence from the ROC
  • Hold missile tests off the coast of Beijing

0 voters

So, they’re just about to announce the ‘anti-secession law’ in the National People’s Conference which is going on this week in China. There seem to be a load of unanswered questions about it: What will it actually contain? What will Taiwans response be? What should Taiwan’s response be? What will be the international reaction? I’m interested in peoples thoughts on any of the above questions … but the biggest question that I can’t find a good answer for is:

What on earth is the point of the thing?

The stated aim seems to be to provide a legal basis for an attack on Taiwan. WTF? Apart from the implication that there isn’t a legal basis for attack now, noone is going to care about the legality of it if push does come to shove. The Chinese (who are willing to speak publically) would support an attack, the Taiwanese (who live on the island) would be a bit upset by an attack, while most Western nations would denounce an attack (and do something/nothing based on their own self interest). Noone is going to say “Well, normally I’d be against a war, but they’ve passed this law, so it must be OK …”

The obvious effect in Taiwan of the law is to piss every off - possibly enough to disrail any efforts to start cross-strait talks (which for the first time in 5 years there seemed to be some real interest in), and in general push Taiwanese sentiment further away from China.

The only reason I can find for the law is that has something to do with internal politics in China (keeping the hard-liners happy? trying to prove that Wen/Hu’s have the LanPa to address any issue?) - but I know little about Chinese politics.

WTF indeed. That’s not the stated aim. That’s the aim ascribed it by Taiwan and the world press who hears it from Taiwan.

This is not to convince others the legality of it, but to codify what is already spoken policy on the PRC’s part, making the most salient parts of that policy not be subject to manipulation by any side. Look, the US has its TRA and uses it to interject its actions. TW has its defensive referendum law. PRC basically says, laws are the fad? Fine.

The obvious effect, and the intended effect, has already been seen even before the law is up for vote: CSB basically renounced Taidu in this term and repudiated writing a new constitution and changing names for kicks.

This law has nothing to do with the internal politics of the PRC because basically everyone in the PRC agrees this is a necessary clarification, a reminder of resolve and the gravity of the situation involved to the Taiwan leadership, in light of the Taidu activities of the last few years.

It is a way of telling the hardcore TIers who plug their ears: wake up and smell the coffee. PRC loathes to exercise any military option on Taiwan, which is why reunification isn’t on agenda, though talks are; but they would not tolerate de jure independence, that’s for sure.

And by the way, TW can only realistically pass an anti “anti-secession law” law (to denounce the law, perhaps), not to pass an anti “anti-secession” law, which would be a secession law, which would be a “major Taidu incident” as PRC calls it, which would trigger war.

Hmm … that’s as clear as mud. This is a PRC law - so it’s only stopping manipulation from within the PRC. If you mean it might avoid misinterpretation from other nations - well, I guess that’s possible, but it’s not exactly as if the PRC has kept it’s homicidal obsession with Taiwan a secret. Anyone who doesn’t believe that China will back up its words with action isn’t going to be convinced by more words/laws.

This sort of delusional statement is what makes me think it’s internal PRC politics. No sane observer of Taiwanese politics would seriously consider that CSBs recent statements (basically reiterating what he’s been saying for the last 5 years) were because of a law he hasn’t even seen yet. However, I’m sure it would play really well in mainland China: “Our glorious leaders have got that renegade so-called ‘president’ on the run without firing a shot!”

This is for the benefit of hardcore TIers? Yeah - it’s really impressing them :loco:

If you think that, then CSB is obviously too subtle for you. :smiley: No sane observer of Taiwanese politics would not know that CSB has said a billion contradictory things to different people in the last 5 years. If you insist CSB was just reiterating what he has been saying to you, fine; but it certainly is news to a lot of people like the TIers who are going beserk these past days, including his so-called ‘advisors.’

[quote=“david”]

This is for the benefit of hardcore TIers? Yeah - it’s really impressing them :loco:[/quote]
Telling those guys is a bonus. Nobody cares if they are impressed or not; IMO they are considered clowns in a sideshow as far as PRC is concerned.

Basically it is meant as a counter balance to TRA and to show the world that the PRC is a nation that subscribe to rule of laws now.

[quote=“zeugmite”][quote=“david”]
This sort of delusional statement is what makes me think it’s internal PRC politics. No sane observer of Taiwanese politics would seriously consider that CSBs recent statements (basically reiterating what he’s been saying for the last 5 years) were because of a law he hasn’t even seen yet.
[/quote]
If you think that, then CSB is obviously too subtle for you. :smiley: No sane observer of Taiwanese politics would not know that CSB has said a billion contradictory things to different people in the last 5 years. If you insist CSB was just reiterating what he has been saying to you, fine; but it certainly is news to a lot of people like the TIers who are going beserk these past days, including his so-called ‘advisors.’[/quote]

CTI news broadcast of TI’ers who were proclaiming in English “Taiwan, Yes!” happened this morning :slight_smile:

There were 15,000 ROC citizens protesting the PRC law. However, CSB and the DPP were not there to support this protest.

Sounds like the DPP is wising up the fact they only have about as much room as the KMT to maneuver on the Strait Issue.

Details of the law have finally been published:
news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005- … 666267.htm

EDIT: I’ve just read it, no details after all, just a load of commie propaganda waffle.

I have to agree with zeugmite, the law is aimed at Taidu supporters in the ROC government.

For 50 years the KMT, without vocalizing Taidu intentions, never had to deal with a law from the PRC on the subject that the ROC existed outside of the control of the PRC.

Taidu supporters are living up the persception of being trouble makers in spades.

KMT dragged Taiwan into this mess. they’ve simply passed the baton for future generations to clean up the mess.

Your argument might make more sense if taiwan is already and had always been part of the PRC.

[quote=“gunner”][quote]
For 50 years the KMT, without vocalizing Taidu intentions, never had to deal with a law from the PRC on the subject that the ROC existed outside of the control of the PRC.

Taidu supporters are living up the persception of being trouble makers in spades.
[/quote]

KMT dragged Taiwan into this mess. they’ve simply passed the baton for future generations to clean up the mess.[/quote]

Maybe one could see if there are parallels in the Cross Straits issue and the North-South Korea issue.

Ah yes, that question … asked and answered in many different threads :sunglasses:

It’ll be interesting to watch whether the anti-secession law will speed up Japan’s move to amend its “peace” constitution. In the past there’s been a lot of domestic public opposition to such proposals, but China’s recent actions (submarine intrusion, anti-secession law, increased defense spending) have boosted the argument for amendments. Once the amendments are passed, the framework for a China-Japan military confrontation will be complete.

Japan has its own right-wing politics and sees what it wants to see. I don’t think anything that China does or does not do is the issue here or that there is any reasonable “way” that China can act to please Japan – that’s a ridiculous notion in itself. Japan is not the helpless little guy here. It has a “peace constitution” and a “self defense force” but in fact its navy is the strongest in Asia (after the US). It obviously is putting it to good use by pursuing an agenda of sea-grab by dubiously claiming various submerged rocks a thousand miles away in order to claim the EEZ around them, the type of thing that would be shouted down if China were to try it. Japan is not reacting to a threat from a position of weakness. It is reacting from a position of strength, that is, to China’s rise in general, economically included. It is inevitable since it has gotten used to being the single dominating Asian state for about a century, even after losing WWII.

The PRC subcribes to the Rule of Law… you must be joking.

It only does what it wants. The legal system in China is not independent and cannot over rule the politicians who decide what is to be legal or not.

The judiciary needs to be independent from the politicians.

Let’s not dream on about China following the rule of law.

Obviously there’s no reasonable purpose behind it, but I’d still like to know what it says – not some general summary of it by a news reporter, but the actual text, preferably in English but Chinese would suffice. I searched for a while this morning and couldn’t find a draft. Has anyone seen a draft of the actual text?

Here’s the text of the draft law, as published by the China Times. Other Taiwanese newspapers have also published it, but I’m not sure if they are exactly the same.

一、為了反對和遏制台獨分裂勢力分裂國家,促進祖國和平統一,維護台灣海峽地區和平穩定,維護國家主權和領土完整,維護中華民族的根本利益,根據憲法,制定本法。
二、世界上只有一個中國,台灣是中國的一部份,中國的主權和領土完整不容分割,維護國家主權和領土完整是包括台灣同胞在內的全中國人民的共同義務。台灣是中國的一部分,國家絕不允許台獨分裂勢力以任何名義、任何方式把臺灣從中國分裂出去。
三、台灣問題是中國內戰的遺留問題。解決台灣問題,實現國家完全統一,是中國的內部事務。在這個問題上,我們不受任何外國勢力的干涉。
四、完成統一祖國的大業是包括台灣同胞在內的全中國人民的神聖職責。
五、堅持一個中國原則,是實現國家和平統一的基礎。以和平方式實現國家統一,最符合台灣海峽兩岸同胞的根本利益。國家以最大的誠意,盡最大的努力,實現和平統一。國家和平統一後,台灣可以實行不同於大陸的制度,高度自治。
六、國家採取下列措施,維護台灣海峽地區和平穩定,發展兩岸關係:一、鼓勵和推動兩岸居民往來,增進瞭解,增強互信;二、鼓勵和推動兩岸經濟交流與合作,直接通郵通航通商,密切兩岸經濟關係,互利互惠;三、鼓勵和推動兩岸教育、科技、文化、衛生、體育交流,共同弘揚中華文化的優秀傳統;四、鼓勵和推動兩岸共同打擊犯罪;五、鼓勵和推動有利於維護臺灣海峽地區和平穩定、發展兩岸關係的其他活動。國家依法保護臺灣同胞的權利和利益。
七、國家主張通過台灣海峽兩岸平等的協商和談判,實現和平統一。協商和談判可以有步驟、分階段進行,方式可以靈活多樣。台灣海峽兩岸可以就正式結束兩岸敵對狀態、發展兩岸關係的規劃、和平統一的步驟和安排、台灣當局的政治地位、台灣地區在國際上與其地位相適應的活動空間以及與實現和平統一有關的其他任何問題,進行協商和談判。
八、台獨分裂勢力以任何名義、任何方式造成台灣從中國分裂出去的事實,或者發生將會導致台灣從中國分裂出去的重大事變,或者和平統一的條件完全喪失,國家得採取非和平方式及其他必要措施,捍衛國家主權和領土完整。
九、依照本法第八條的規定,採取非和平方式及其他必要措施,授權國務院、中央軍委決定、組織實施。國務院、中央軍事委員會決定採取非和平方式及其他必要措施,應當向全國人大常委會報告。
十、依照本法規定採取非和平方式及其他必要措施並組織實施時,國家盡最大可能保護台灣平民和在台灣的外國人的生命財產安全和其他正當權益,減少損失;同時,國家依法保護台灣同胞在中國其他地區的權利和利益。
十一、本法自公佈即日起實施。

Good job. Thanks. But maybe I exaggerated a little (ok, I lied) when I said Chinese would suffice; I intended to have someone help decipher it for me.

Can you tell me what it says about attacking Taiwan? Does it describe specifically what steps by Taiwan could lead to that?

Some PRC guy in the news was saying that use of force would be only the last resort. Does the law refer to any other tactics other than use of force, in the event Taiwan commits the forbidden acts?

In response to your comment, I believe PRC lawmakers have reviewed several different drafts.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Good job. Thanks. But maybe I exaggerated a little (ok, I lied) when I said Chinese would suffice; I intended to have someone help decipher it for me.

Can you tell me what it says about attacking Taiwan? Does it describe specifically what steps by Taiwan could lead to that?

Some PRC guy in the news was saying that use of force would be only the last resort. Does the law refer to any other tactics other than use of force, in the event Taiwan commits the forbidden acts?

In response to your comment, I believe PRC lawmakers have reviewed several different drafts.[/quote]

There is no description of “use of force,” only “non peaceful means” which PRC spokesperson has said included sanctions and such, also.

Oh, they don’t mention “use of force,” only “non peaceful means.” That’s reassuring. :wink:

Does it state what might trigger such non-peaceful means? I’m sure it wouldn’t be so specific as to refer to changing the name, constitution, etc., but there must be something such as "taking steps to. . . " How do they put it?