Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

Right at the big bridge, up and over and you skip laojie

OK, getting back to cycling. Iā€™ve gotten into the habit of not unclipping when coming to a stop at an intersection. I just ride up to something I can hold myself against like a post or a wall. Lazy, I know. But then I realized what I touch may be coated with the virus. So itā€™s a good idea to unclip, get out of your saddle, and keep your hands on the handlebars. Iā€™ll see if I can not touch anything on my entire ride besides my bike and water bottle next time I go riding.

2 Likes

Do you know what the odds are of you hitting the virus jackpot like that? Astronomical.

Also, track stands are the answer. :laughing:

Yeah I know. Just trying to keep the discussion on topic.

Also, track stands are the answer. :laughing:

I need to practice those, but not in my cleats. :flushed:

1 Like

Iā€™m happy knowing that thereā€™s a bit of poop in every bite.

Extra protein along with that cockroach

Ill start wearing masks more when public washrooms start stocking soap.

1 Like

You do realized these are not either/or options, right? You donā€™t need to choose only one. :upside_down_face:

Guy

3 Likes

Hehe ya of course. Being sarcastic. I.find it funny that people are so worried about you pandemic and many washrooms dont have soap. Even now.

1 Like

Here we are. Any good tip to wear a mask on a bike? Got the feeling that going uphill and downhill is gonna to be tricky.

Yeah, Iā€™m unsure how to handle this. I donā€™t think I can follow the rule of wearing a mask at all times while cycling: itā€™d certainly be miserable, and Iā€™ll be stopping to gasp for breath on lengthy hills - and pulling down the mask to do so! Itā€™s also absurd to require wearing a mask when Iā€™m on my own climbing a hill, with only passing cars and scooters coming (briefly) close to me. On a YouBike around town, or at ā€œstrollingā€ speed on the busy riverside cycling paths, sure, a mask is both manageable and logical.

But at the moment Iā€™m basically deciding between no more riding, or breaking the always-masking rule for stretches of the ride, with a mask coming off and on depending on whether or not people are nearby. I suppose thereā€™s also Option C, lazy slow riverside rides with a mask.

EDIT: I hadnā€™t even thought of downhill! Iā€™ve never tried that - do you wind up with mask blowing into your mouth?!

I hate to say it but biking is going to have to be suspended for now.

There is NO FREAKING way you will get enough air biking through a mask, unless you are wearing a filtered 3M mask with fresh air system (meaning itā€™s a gas mask with air hose that goes to a powered filter unit which blows filtered air into your mask). But it would also look very freaky. You can probably wear the normal 3M half mask cycling as it will be far more comfortable than a paper mask and with the P100 filter it will give you far more protection than a paper mask ever will, but even those will reduce available oxygen by a percentage, meaning you wonā€™t be able to exert yourself as much.

Get up early, go out before the walkers and wear it around the crowds. This is my plan. No fā€™ing way do I need one for the 2-3 km stretches I donā€™t see a soul.

3 Likes

problem is what if you were photographed not wearing a mask outside and you get fined 15,000?

1 Like

Thatā€™d be a problem. But I think for now Iā€™m going to follow the same plan as @flatlandr: early rides (no other kind in this heat anyway), mask when I see a crowd. If I start hearing about (idiotic!) fines for isolated countryside maskless cyclists, then Iā€™ll stop riding.

And yeah, the chances of some busybody driver videotaping me and getting me on the news as a selfish foreigner whoā€™s endangering everyone, while small, are definitely not zero.

2 Likes

I wouldbt be so surprised. 2 reasons, people can.make money turning people in singapore style. And second, most cars have cameras. So its not like they need to slow and stop.

Pretty soon the cameras will likely hook up to the internet cars have now. I could see his happening now in cars like tesla is the virus gets bad and the government asks them.

Nowadays its not far fetched at all. Its always the question, why would they care about you? But the virus is a pretty logical reason they would start going all ants nest poked with a stick.

Abs.Ib saib. Smabl.bub nobt zerb chancb.

3 Likes

You could wear a mask to avoid being recognizedā€¦

3 Likes

Im not sure that would trick facial recognition. Everyone still seems to recognize everyone pretty easily with masks here.

@lostinasia i can still read that, so nuts to you :kissing_heart:

Oh, as some posters do frequently demonstrate, itā€™s amazing how much remains readable - with effort - despite the typing! :grinning: