Prenatal / Antenatal /Childbirth Education Classes Available

How does the pacifier help?

I imagine it stimulates the babies mouth, maybe keeps the muscles from relaxing too much? I’m just guessing… Like all new parents, I was pretty nervous about SIDS, so I did some reading about it. Apparently, most kids that die of SIDS often have other medical conditions. The reasons behind SIDS are sufficiently unknown that it makes for a convenient scapegoat.

Yup, that’s what I found out as well, maoman, after reading a bit more in-depth last night. I wouldn’t call it actual scaremongering, but somne of the stuff I read comes pretty close, IMO. That’s what my child health worker sister said, too. There’s a large body of respectable work out there that takes issue with the back to sleep findings, according to her. Anyway, the point is moot. The kid screamed like a frigging banshee when I tried to put him on his back last night and wouldn’t stop. Soon as I turned him over, he dropped right off.

Fair enough. I tend to think it’s like ADHD ~ the statistics are so over exaggerated that people tend to make it a bigger deal than it really is in most cases. Unfortunately, that also means that certain precautions aren’t necessarily taken when they should be.

I just wanted to point out what I do know to help others. If all things considered and found that they sleep well both ways, I’d suggest the back to be on the safe side.

Matt

Actually I believe the majority of SIDS deaths occur when the child is left asleep alone in another room from adult supervision. The safest way to put a baby to sleep is on their back, on a firm materess, with tucked in sheets and blankets, no stuffed toys or other decorative items in the cot. Cigarette smoke is also a major factor.

If you think your child has reflux, find a doctor and get an antacid medication. My son started it at 4 months and within a week he was a different baby. Although it didnt stop the vomiting. It made him more comfortable. Try Ranitidine (aka Zantac) in a liquid form, very easy to use. Or omeprazole. But you require a prescription and should only be given under medical supervision. Do it sooner rather than later before the stomach acid irritates the oesophagus enough to cause oesophagitis. I agree - Gripe water and infacol - lifesavers.

My son would only settle to sleep on his stomach, with his materess raised at a 45 degree angle to try to keep the head above the stomach. But he slept in his bassinet beside our bed. It was as safe as I could make it, and we all got some sleep!

hi everyone,

I have a new series of classes starting in April. There are already four couples signed up with space for two or three more. if you are interested send me a pm or email.

Take care

Class One: Understanding Labor

Orientation/Introduction

Taiwan Birthing

What happens during labor?
How does the pelvis work?
What does labor sound like?
What does labor look like?
Learning relaxation
Needs during labor
Positive images of birth

Class Two: Labor Toolkit