Prepaid mini SIM cards

Hi,
Not to throw more fuel on the iPad debate just now, but if one were theoretically (and it is still theoretical at this point) thinking of purchasing one, is it possible to get a prepaid SIM in Taiwan that offers Internet access AND is the mini size SIM card? Is this so no-brainer that all of them can be punched out and/or trimmed to size? I don’t care about ruining an NT$399 card but I do care about then being caught without computer equipment having assumed that I could hack a mini SIM to work.

From what I understand (corrections also welcome) the iPad takes a mini SIM card.

I spend a month in Taiwan each year and am an ultralight traveler (total luggage volume 854 cubic inches = 1 smallish carryon) so the light weight and fairly comprehensive (for vacation-time needs) functionality of an iPad might appeal. What I would like is something that would allow me to use a full-size or folding computer keyboard for text entry should I get slapped with translation work during the time I’m in Taiwan. I nearly could have gotten by with just my iPhone last year but the text input issue was a problem, so I ended up carrying an old subnotebook PC. I’d prefer to stay with Mac however as Micro$oft irritates me unreasonably.

If I can figure out the mobile Internet problem, I can be much more free to move about the island; otherwise I’m more or less stuck with a base or bases and trips outward from there due to short but daily work obligations that involve e-mail access and sending files.

[quote=“ironlady”]Hi,
Not to throw more fuel on the iPad debate just now, but if one were theoretically (and it is still theoretical at this point) thinking of purchasing one, is it possible to get a prepaid SIM in Taiwan that offers Internet access AND is the mini size SIM card? Is this so no-brainer that all of them can be punched out and/or trimmed to size? I don’t care about ruining an NT$399 card but I do care about then being caught without computer equipment having assumed that I could hack a mini SIM to work.[/quote]
No SIM card uses more than the visible gold contact pin area internally. In fact most smart card ICs are much smaller than the visible contact pin area (sometimes only a few millimeters square). There will be no problems if you trim a standard prepaid SIM. However, you do have to be careful that you trim it into the correct shape.

However, I would avoid this path completely. Really the only situation where the prepaid SIM is not way overpriced is receiving calls (as you probably know inbound calls are free in Taiwan), which is something iPad does not do. And data is terribly expensive on prepaid. Instead, consider buying a month pass to 中華’s wifi service.

You could trim off the excess plastics off a regular SIM card to fit in the iPad. However it’ll be a $300 fee at most carriers to replace it should you decide to use it in a phone instead.

Vibo, Taiwan Mobile and Chunghwa Telecom all offer “prepaid” 3G internet service, although each one does it differently.

Vibo offers a 1-, 3- or 5-day pass for NT$99, $249, or $399 respectively. Unlimited data transfer during the period. To get this, you would sign up for a prepaid line and whenever you want to use the internet, you would have to call their automated ordering system FROM the prepaid service line and make a purchase. Now this last bit seems to be quite a headache, and as far as I know there is NO WAY to circumvent this. Therefore, unless the iPad has built-in phone capabilities like the iPhone this option is basically moot since after you trim the SIM card there’s no easy way to “untrim” it, so to speak, so you can put it back inside a 3G capable phone to make the purchase.

Here’s additional pricing information should you need it: vibo.com.tw/CWS/Consumer_03_07,.html

Taiwan Mobile offers a similar service with pricing closely matching Vibo’s. Theirs is called “catch internet by the day” and while their website does not explicitly mention it, this by-the-day internet service does work on prepaid accounts and the balance is deducted from the balance you maintain on your prepaid line. Also, you apparently CAN order the service over the internet (there is a website interface for it) or call CS to process the purchase (YMMV, as when I called them up and asked the CS rep did ask me if I wanted to get the pass right then on the phone, but since I didn’t go through with it I had no way of telling if it was indeed doable on the phone.)

They’ll send you a text notification and notify you that the service has been enabled and when it is set to expire, so the iPad would need to have the ability to receive text messages for you to see if the service is turned on. Be forewarned, however, that Taiwan Mobile DOES ALSO charge for internet on a per-kilobyte basis so unless you get the notification that the unlimited internet pass is turned on YOU WILL BE CHARGED BY THE KILOBYTE, and their rate works out to be $46 per megabyte of data so downloading a song off the iTunes store will cost you $200-$300 in data transfer fees alone.

Here’s additional pricing information should you need it: catch.net.tw/gprs/gprs_day.jsp

Lastly, there’s Chunghwa Telecom. I am actually unsure if you are able to purchase unlimited internet with their prepaid service, but they do have a pay-by-the-day service (3G行動上網日租型) where you can buy 3 days of service for $250 or 7 days of service for $450. However, it appears that to get this multiday pass you will actually have to go to a CHT service branch and get a SIM card which is activated at the counter and deactivated when your pass expires each time you need the service, so it’s a bit impractical for iPad users seeing how you would actually have to step into a branch, take a number, sign up for service and trim the SIM when you get home each time you’re in Taipei.

emome.net/channel?chid=423 is the site you want to look at if you do want to go through this route.

Also, I want to add that prepaid lines have a 6-month expiration date on them from the day you activate service or the day you top off the balance, so if you do want to go with Vibo or Taiwan Mobile you need to time this right. I don’t believe there is a way to add a balance when you’re overseas, but I may be wrong.

Some guys at Guanghua electronics market already did some trimming of SIM cards for me for other purposes. Then if I need to use it in the original size, they have a pre-formed plastic insert to fit it back into original size fitting.

Taiwan will probably eventually need to offer the mini-SIM cards if they want to sell the iPad.

Or you can just take a dead normal-sized SIM, pry out the IC and stick in your original IC. I’m sure the replacement plastic is cheap enough not to have to resort to this though.

I’ve already ordered the iPad and plan to stick the local Taiwan 3G SIM card in myself with some help from Guanghua if I’m not 100% confident.

Or you can just take a dead normal-sized SIM, pry out the IC and stick in your original IC. I’m sure the replacement plastic is cheap enough not to have to resort to this though.[/quote]

Ghetto - rigging cell phones

This is what the underside of the IC looks like:

The black portions are just fiberglass substrate. The only key portion is the small IC in the center, which is probably no more than 5-10 mm^2. You can actually cut into the black portion a bit without damaging the IC. Some dual-SIM kits require this.

So all that is really just to assure you that no, if you are only cutting the plastic carrier around the IC you will not do any damage to it.

or, you could mifi your cellphone and hook up that way via wifi. apple mandating two data plans is disgusting. that is assuming the damn wifi on the ipad actually works: techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/troubl … fi-issues/

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not much concerned if I have to do something every time I’m in Taiwan, since sadly I’m only there once a year anyway. My hope would be to get service that would work in the sticks where it was difficult to find wireless or an internet cafe. Last year I just got international data on my US iPhone, but they try to charge you per billing cycle, not for the actual duration of your trip so they were trying to get 60 days of fees for less than 30 days of activation, which was irritating and potentially expensive.

Sounds like an adapter might be the answer, then choose from some of the services available. Bandwidth isn’t much of an issue; anything requiring lots of bandwidth probably isn’t the best use of time on a month-long trip on a day I’ve managed to get somewhere interesting…I just want 100% assurance (or reeeally close) that text-based work will get in and out.