Prepaid unlimited 3G sim card?

Hi

I discovered that in Germany, there are numerous prepaid 3G sim cards that bills either by minutes, or days and months. The price isn’t so high (around 25 Euros a month for a monthly plan). Do they have similar plans in Taiwan to get data without signing a contract? I read elsewhere there was a monthly prepaid data plan for 2500nt a month (!) which is quite high compared to Europe.

Not that I couldn’t sign a contract, I just won’t be spending 2 years in Taiwan in the foreseeable future (more like 3 months or so) but having just bought a MiFi adapter I would like to be able to use my ipod touch as well…

Or am I better off “roaming” a European SIM card?

I have the same question. I’ll stay for about six months and thus don’t feel like signing a contract but I do see myself using my iPhone a lot when out and about.

No idea how expensive it would be to use European SIM cards (roaming), but i am currently using prepaid SIM cards for both my cellphone and my modem. I spend less than 400NT$ (under 10Euro) on phone calls/ SMS mail in a month, while unlimited internet usage via a 3G modem costs me abt. 2100NT$ (abt. 50Euro) a month (that is probably more than most people would need to spend, but i have reasons to be online more or less continuously, and i save substantial amounts of money on the many hour-long international calls i make via cheap IP phone over that modem connection).

For people who don’t need to use the internet for work, i would recommend netcafes anyway, since those are plenty and cheap in Taiwan (with a charge card i pay 12NT$ (0.30 Euro) per hour at local netcafes, which have fast computers and large screens). And if you are associated with a university you will normally be able to make use of wireless networks there or use their computer lab…

:2cents:

No idea how expensive it would be to use European SIM cards (roaming), but I am currently using prepaid SIM cards for both my cellphone and my modem. I spend less than 400NT$ (under 10Euro) on phone calls/ SMS mail in a month, while unlimited internet usage via a 3G modem costs me abt. 2100NT$ (abt. 50Euro) a month (that is probably more than most people would need to spend, but I have reasons to be online more or less continuously, and i save substantial amounts of money on the many hour-long international calls i make via cheap IP phone over that modem connection).

For people who don’t need to use the internet for work, I would recommend netcafes anyway, since those are plenty and cheap in Taiwan (with a charge card i pay 12NT$ (0.30 Euro) per hour at local netcafes, which have fast computers and large screens). And if you are associated with a university you will normally be able to make use of wireless networks there or use their computer lab…

:2cents:[/quote]

Damn… That is so expensive. I was hoping they would have something a little more reasonable in TW but it looks like wifly pocket is a better choice even if I am not staying for a year…

I will create a sticky for this at some point because it comes up about once a week it seems.

The easiest pre-paid SIM with unlimited data is from MyFone, aka Taiwan Mobile, aka 台灣大哥大. 350NT for every 5 days of unlimited data then prepaid minutes & text of top of that. So 2100NT/month for unlimited data with no contract. Pretty cheap.

I recommend this to everyone I know who comes to visit, and everyone has been pretty happy with it so far.

There are similar unlimited pre-paid data setups in most places countries in the world where people have smart phones in any quantity. Some are more expensive than others, but the 台灣大哥大 pre-paid unlimited-data setup is among the least expensive in the world.

2100nt a month for prepaid data plan still seems expensive compared to Germany at 25 euros a month for a prepaid data plan…

2100NT/month is not that cheap, but the 5 day/350NT package that mabagal mentioned works very well for short-term visitors.

I second that.

And here’s another perspective: even 2100NT$ cheap for someone who needs constant access to the internet to make cheap international phone calls in the process of earning a living. :wink:
For the casual user i’d recommend a netcafe: if you do that for 30 minutes a day on average you may get away with as little as 350NT$ per month (abt. 8.50Euro). :sunglasses:

If you are here longer than a few months you would be much better off with a contract and just eating the early termination penalty. Taiwan Mobile currently have unlimited data packages at TW$690/month on contract.

I am curious though, are unlimited data in Taiwan truly unlimited, as in do they switch you to GPRS speeds after 1 GB throughput for day plans, or 5 GB for monthly plans?

Also, what are the early termination penalty? If I were to come to Taiwan for only 3 months, would taking the early termination penalty be worth it?

You would have to discuss any early termination penalties with the provider, but assume you would have to pay off the rest of the contract. Taiwan Mobile does not throttle or limit data, I stream radio through my connection almost 24/7.

In that case even if it’s 2500nt a month for unlimited data it may be worth it because just about all providers in Europe throttles data after 1gb for day plans, or 5gb for monthly plans…

They do provide a special smart phone only plan for only 7-10 euros a month (depending on provider) that throttles after 500MB.

if your phone has wifi and ur in the city, or plan to be, then you can use the 7/11 wifly for 50NT registration fee.

Yeah, i tried that - they wouldn’t let me (insisted on seeing an ARC, which i don’t have). But that was a month ago - maybe all i have to try it again or go to another one of their shops and try it there?

Same here… and i use VoIP a lot on top of that…

I don’t know any country that would give you a contract without some kind of resident status and/or credit history and/or large deposit.

I travel to the US a lot, originally I had a contract which I paid a US$1,000 deposit for but I decided it wasn’t worth it for 4 weeks of use per year so I ended the contract and got my deposit back. Now I use a prepaid card but it’s pretty damn expensive, best I can find is US$30-50 per 100-250MB of data and a measly call allowance.

[quote=“llary”]I don’t know any country that would give you a contract without some kind of resident status and/or credit history and/or large deposit.

I travel to the US a lot, originally I had a contract which I paid a US$1,000 deposit for but I decided it wasn’t worth it for 4 weeks of use per year so I ended the contract and got my deposit back. Now I use a prepaid card but it’s pretty damn expensive, best I can find is US$30-50 per 100-250MB of data and a measly call allowance.[/quote]

I am in the same situation regarding visits to the US and here are the best options:

Simple Mobile. $60USD for a month of unlimited voice text and 1GB of data. The drawback is that it’s on T-Mobile’s network and thus will only run EDGE on iDevices and Asia-based Androids. I use an old T-Mobile Android G1 while in the States as a hotspot to get 3G speeds using this SIM.

If all you need is data, $35USD for a month of up to 2GB of data on the AT&T iPad MicroSIM. A 3G iPad will tether its connection over WiFi, so your smartphone is covered also, should you need it. I got an iPad 2 3G recently to replace my iPad 1 WiFi and plan to do it this way on my next trip. I map my Google Voice to a Skype-In number, so that should be great for having a phone number also while in the States, since a cell signal usually also means a 3G signal. I use Skype on my iPhone as an international phone with a US caller-ID and call-in number in this manner already, so with 3G in the States, I don’t have to change anything.

Taiwan Mobile’s data is unthrottled and truly unlimited. I have a postpaid contract plan with them for ~690NT per month and routinely pull 10GB plus a month, mostly due to a shared Dropbox that sees constant changes of big design files. 2100NT per month on the 350NT/5day plan may seem expensive compared to 25EURO in Germany, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a very very cheap compared to even contract plans in the rest of the world, especially considering that it is currently truly unlimited. Eating early termination fees may work out better, but most travelers or students without an ARC and a need to feed their iPhones won’t have that option.

Within the next few weeks, Taipei City should be rolling out a citywide free WiFi. If this works anywhere near well, it may be a viable option. The issue may be need for residency/registration of some sort and the fact that it very likely won’t work while in a car, bus or subway where a connection might be particularly handy. Also, as long as there is a signal, 3G on 台灣大哥大, T-Mobile, and even AT&T has always been faster for me than whatever WiFi is on offer at most cafes or hotels, free or paid. The WiFis just tend to be throttled or congested and thus, slow.

[quote=“llary”]If you are here longer than a few months you would be much better off with a contract and just eating the early termination penalty. Taiwan Mobile currently have unlimited data packages at TW$690/month on contract.[/quote]Now that’s a good price! How long are the contracts? If they’re just 12 months it’s a no brainer.

The contracts are typically 24 months. It may also be hard to even get a contract without an ARC. Many of us here tried before we had our ARCs and had no luck. Others have reported lucking out. If you are going to go ahead and go the route of trying to get on a contract and then paying the termination, I would also consider working out the scenario where you also get a phone while you are it. The math may work out that you end up ahead after taking the subsidy into account.

[quote=“mabagal”]The contracts are typically 24 months. It may also be hard to even get a contract without an ARC. Many of us here tried before we had our ARCs and had no luck. Others have reported lucking out. If you are going to go ahead and go the route of trying to get on a contract and then paying the termination, I would also consider working out the scenario where you also get a phone while you are it. The math may work out that you end up ahead after taking the subsidy into account.[/quote]I’ll have an ARC at the time so that’s no issue. But if the contract is 24 months then the math says go for pre paid :frowning: I Don’t plan on getting a phone since I already have an iPhone 4. But wifey needs a new one (although that will probably be too late since her phone has decided to crap out from time to time despite buying a new battery). Are the subsidies any good in Taiwan these days? They used to be OK here in Sweden but nowadays they’re basically just a way to buy on credit which I never do.

Ok, let me butt in here with a sensible reply.
As long as you can sign a 3G contract, or get someone to sign one for you, you don’t have to sign up for a certain period of time, it can be done on a month by month basis with no termination fees, even if you only want to use it for 30 days.
I know CHT offers this service as I’ve done it for someone.
However, this means you have to supply your own dongle/phone/3G modem or buy one at full price here.
That’s how simple it is and yes, at the moment, it’s truly unlimited and CHT charges NT$850 a month for it.