Preparing for a career in Taiwan

Hi everyone, I’m a soon-to-be second year B.A. student at the University of Toronto, trying to scout out the potential future work industry early. I’m considering doing a Masters in Teaching, getting certified, and going straight to work in Taiwan, because the teaching industry isn’t looking great in Canada based on what I’ve heard from some young teachers in the industry. I’m mostly interested in teaching elementary students at international schools or public schools sponsored by the MOE. Probably won’t be looking at buxibans too much since I’ve read many negative experiences online. It won’t be at least another five years until I’m actually in the work force, but if anyone could give me any suggestions regarding the following questions it would be a great help for my career planning. Any general advice or anecdotes are welcome! Thanks in advance.

1. Would the MOE sponsored schools or any international schools in Taiwan hire a newly certified teacher with only practicum placements and tutoring centre jobs as prior experience? I know the big names like TAS generally only hire teachers with several years of teaching experience in western countries, but how are the other schools?
  2. Would TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification be recommended, or would a teaching certificate + masters degree suffice?
  3. I’m a Canadian-born and raised ethnic Taiwanese so I’ve done all my schooling in Canada but I’m also fluent in Chinese. Would my ethnic status negatively affect my chances of being hired? Are there any particular subcategories of schools that I should avoid because of this (e.g., international schools)? Is the industry just not suitable for me altogether?

Good luck!

Lack of experience will hinder your chances with the top tier international schools, but that is true with any job.I would still give Taiwan a chance, the problem is that it doesn’t have many international schools so the pickings are slim, a place with more expat like HK or SG or Bangkok has more schools for you to apply.

For moe schools- as far as I know there is a minimum threshold of 2 years work experience, but maybe that changed.

Your ethnicity is not a problem, Taipei European School for example has British-Chinese teachers, I have a Canadian-Chinese friend who teaches in HK, so as long as you have the right credentials and experience that is not a problem.

The general route to the plum international school jobs is to start at the semi-international/bi-lingual schools such as Kangchiao and Wego. Two years at those schools and you have a good chance of moving on up, as Bobby G. once sang.

Yes. They’ll probably have you demo and if they like what they see, they’ll take you, newbie or not.

Masters and teaching certif is enough for most schools.

Most schools tend not to care and just take what they can get, but there’s always some people who want an obviously foreign teacher to appease parents and so “kids can get accustomed to a foreign face” and other excuses. But you’ll probably be okay. Someone is bound to hire you, so long as you are a good teacher.

at this moment, there is no requirement of 2 year experience.

Many rules may change after 5 years though.

With your qualifications, Thailand is a better option. More truly international schools, the pay is almost twice what you would make in Taiwan and the cost of living is much less. If I wasn’t married to a Taiwanese, that is where I would go.

Thanks for the insight! I guess I mainly want to go to Taiwan because of culture faniliarity but I’ll definitely look out for other opportunities too.

That’s great to hear! I wasn’t sure how selective the mid/low tier schools were with new teachers and whether the higher tier schools recognized experience in Taiwan or wanted authentic overseas teaching experience.

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Ohh I didn’t know that about Thailand. I’ve never been there but I’ll definitely keep that in mind, although my first choice would probably still be Taiwan as my parents are from there so it’s got a bit of sentimental value to me. Would probably do me some good to explore a bit while I still can though.