Prepping for coronavirus quarantine - what's in your closet?

I’m planning for the worst possible scenario (ie., global Armageddon) which means reliable off-grid power, clean water, and ‘live’ food (ie., growing plants). That bit is basically up-and-running. I’m intending to get a few chickens in the next couple of weeks because man does not live by vegetables alone. Homebrew might be on the agenda - I have a few sachets of brewing yeast.

Hopefully this isn’t going to happen - and if it doesn’t, food supplies should remain secure as per @DrewC’s comment - but infection rate is still growing exponentially and I think global meltdown is a real (albeit small) possibility. Not so much as a result of actual deaths, but simply the knock-on effects of lots of incapacitated people and failing economic systems which were never designed to operate at less than full throttle.

3 Likes

Yes, I have 2 chest freezers.

1 Like

I’m with you. Also have some gold and silver on hand. If the economy fails and banks crash, our cash will be useless.

I also never let the fuel of my car go below half… Currency, fuel and meds will become the most valuable, I believe. I can’t store fuel and don’t know any drug dealers, so that’s my weakness…

You’re all set for keeping your nipples cool then!

1 Like

That’s all good preparation…but in some really end of the world scenario you also need weapons because there will be people who didn’t prepare food but have guns and skills to take it from you

1 Like

Add zinc lozenges to the list:

Guide to not catching coronavirus https://imgur.com/gallery/YcZFM5m

how about taking multivitamins ?

They say Guinness is food what more do you need?

1 Like

Cleaning up the old pantry to make room for new stuff I found 2 bottles of ACV, which I think makes a great drink. Lots of cooking oil.

I also found one tiny bottle of red wine, one quart of maple syrup, two Costco bear shape bottles of honey and one balsamic. Of these last items, only the balsamic has an expiration date of 2027. Rest have no date printed. Been looking for info on the theory they can last forever and not go bad, dunno.

Prepare more toilet paper !

1 Like

Well, the other day I finally opened a bag of tagliatelle that expired in 2011. No problems so far!

I’m impressed you’ve got stuff without a date - doesn’t that mean you picked it up outside of Taiwan? I believe everything sold here has a date on it.

Yep. Maple syrup is a leftover from my trip to Canada, I think.

No idea where the wine came from.

1 Like

Went to a few pharmacies but no zinc lozenges only zinc dietary supplements. Any suggestions?

iHerb?

2 Likes

I got some vitamin D ( Costco has chewable kind from Canada), thinking about getting zinc.

You can buy Ricolas/local brands at any pharmacy or 711 for much cheaper.

Haven’t been able to find any with zinc (鋅) though.

The idea is not just take in something to soothe your throat but to strengthen your immune system.

In that case, there are Strepsils, which basically have ingredients also to kill pathogens.

I bought a throat spray that gives fast relief:

http://sg.betadine.com/en/sg/cold-and-flu/betadine-sore-throat-spray

Don’t hoard, but is anyone stocking up on normal (not toilet paper) supplies that will last awhile if you’re quarantined, goods and services become limited, general disorder, invasion, the apocalypse, the Walking Dead, or something worse? What is important to keep in stock, and how do you store it?
I heard a pandemic planner say a month of supplies is enough. I’m going for two.