Presentations in English

I’ve been having language exchange with my boss’s husband for a little while now and it has been a little one sided in my favour. He wants to learn how to give presentations in english, i guess its for sales purposes. Does anyone have any advice about how to go about this?

Sounds very cushy … what kind of advice could you possibly want? If you wanted to do him a favor, you could try introducing him to native English speaker. :unamused:

groan…

“If you wanted to do him a favor, you could try introducing him to native English speaker.”

if you really want to troll the forums in search of typos and erratic capitalisation…you should first check your respones for mistakes of your own

doh!

[quote=“Southpaw”]groan…

“If you wanted to do him a favor, you could try introducing him to native English speaker.”

if you really want to troll the forums in search of typos and erratic capitalisation…you should first check your respones for mistakes of your own[/quote]

Yes that’s quiet enough of that sort of theing

You’re all lossers … or is that loosers? Can I delete my post and start again?

gah!

I’ve often been asked the same question, most recently by somebody who’s supposed to be a language exchange partner. Unless I’m being paid to make an effort, I usually just tell them that I am into teaching English…I can teach conversation, and I could probably teach somebody how to put together an English literature lecture or a presentation of a paper…or I could edit a paper.
But why everyone assumes that I can teach any kind of Business English just because I can SPEAK the language I don’t know. I’m a complete idiot when it comes to business, and I think it’s too late to learn.
Southpaw, I hope you eventually find the help you need…

AFAIK there are very few good books on ESP because the “special purpose” obviously varies enormously. My only advice would be to arrange mock meetings, and create situations where decisions had to be made on the basis of evidence supplied. For example, decisions on whether or not to extend a certain loan, to begin a certain project, to hire a certain individual. What industry is it in ? Can you ask them to teach you a bit about their industry in the first few weeks, and then you would have a better idea of what research to do ?

I would suggest for presentations of all kinds

http://www.toastmasters.org.tw

Well worth a look - I know I did it myself. Now I teach presentation skills to my students… It’s great.

Kenneth