President Chen Shui-bian shot -- part 3

Please continue. :notworthy:

What did Lee have to say today?

All those oddball stories you hear… The thing with the gun in the briefcase takes the cake for me so far.

look where that came from… it’s sad.

Daltongang wrote:

[quote]Mr He wrote:
All those oddball stories you hear… The thing with the gun in the briefcase takes the cake for me so far.

look where that came from… it’s sad.[/quote]

Sad but hilarious at the same time. Did anyone happen to catch that press conference with “Miss Fu” in her fishing hat and sunglasses. Pure theatre continues on and on.

Most have probably read this, but…

[quote]I have a confession to make.

I shot the president.

Now, it is no easy task to hit a man-sized target moving at a speed of 30kph from a distance of greater than 10m.

I know, because I have done it many times. As a former sergeant in the US Marine Corps, I was required to maintain proficiency in – and received training with – a variety of weapons. I won’t pretend to be a super-marksman, nor was I ever trained as a sniper or a hit man. But I do reckon myself a fair shot, and so did the US Marine Corps, which awarded me its highest marksmanship designation.

This, coupled with the highly-respected tradition (Lee Harvey Oswald fans will appreciate this) of using former Marines in presidential-assassination plots, was all it took to spur the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) into action.

So when they came to me a week before the election and asked me if I could wing President Chen Shui-bian (???) while he stood in the back of a Jeep moving 30kph from 10m with a handmade 8mm two-shot pistol using homemade ammunition, I replied, “Why the hell not? Any requests for where exactly you would like me to flesh-wound the target?”

But perhaps you don’t believe me…

There is only one valid response to those who still believe these idiotic conspiracy theories about the assassination attempt on the president: Prove it.[/quote]

From A-bian’s shooting? It was me.

scroll, scroll, skim read, scroll, ah ha - an interesting bit at the bottom caught my attention:

[quote=“AWOL”]As the astronomer Carl Sagan said, “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

There is only one valid response to those who still believe these idiotic conspiracy theories about the assassination attempt on the president: Prove it.[/quote]

Carl Sagan was a bad choice. This was a guy who loved using double negatives to make a point. He was fond of saying things like: [color=darkred]“We have seen nothing that excludes that possibility.”[/color] It infuriated the hell out of other astronomers because with that kind of logic you can justify all manner of far-fetched claims.

SpacK “scroll, scroll, skim read, scroll, ah ha - an interesting bit at the bottom caught my attention”

piss, moan, whinge… provided the link if that somehow makes reading the full article a simpler process… sheeeesh

:smiley:

Who dreamed that up? They obviously haven’t spent much time in Taiwan.

Happened before all over the world, not restricted to “controversial” figures though.

[quote]After all, how realistic is it that some unhinged fruitcake would make an amateurish attempt to kill a prominent and controversial political figure?[/quote]Ronald Regan was shot by someone trying to impress Jody Foster, sounds a little unhinged to me.
In that case a Secret Service agent jumped infront of Regan and intentionally took a bullet for him, and they caught the shooter in 2 seconds.

The Pope was shot by a nutcase from a crowd. I think they caught him pretty quickly too.

Guys, I believe if you read that statment in context of the full article you’ll find that it was written with all due sarcasm :slight_smile:

Guys, I believe if you read that statment in context of the full article you’ll find that it was written with all due sarcasm :slight_smile:[/quote]Sorry, my sarcasm detector is on the blink, and I’m not paying attention.

What’s that? :wink: :blush:

My wife told me today that some of those brainwashed idiots now claim that DPP switched the original jeep with a doctored one for Henry Lee to investigate.

All these conspiracy theories could be very fun in a comedy movie manuscript, but personally I think that an attempt to kill the president is too serious and sad to be joked about.

Hey, kids fighting over some toys in a sandbox behave more sivilized than certain elements of the blue camp does these days. Shame on them (not the kids…)

Guys, I believe if you read that statment in context of the full article you’ll find that it was written with all due sarcasm :slight_smile:[/quote]

True, daasgrrl, but on page 16 of Part 2 of this discussion, someone by the name of ds posted the following:

“who would benefit from the murder of these two people?
Who would benefit from an alleged attempt?”

That’s the entire post. Hard to say what ds meant by that, but my interpretation is that he/she believes no one would benefit from Chen/Lu actually being murdered, but Chen/Lu would benefit from a staged attempt, and therefore motivation points towards a staged attempt. In addition to ds, there are a few thousand Taiwanren mingling on Ketagalan Ave who apparently feel the same way. . . which of course is totally stupid.

Who would benefit from shooting John Lennon, MLK, JFK, etc. (or shoot Reagan to prove ones love, as pointed out)? There are plenty of loonies out there, eager to shoot people for stupid reasons, just as there are plenty of loonies who believe ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Let’s try this:

We challenge anyone who thinks that this assasination was staged to replay the event, that is the person has to stand on a moving vehicle and is shot at with a home-made gun from an equal distance - expecting to be injured only. The person may actually nominate/select the shooter him/herself. Now what do you rekon how many blue camp supporters will volunteer … !?

What do you guys think of my theory that it was an attempt to maim the president not kill him, orchestrated (without the DPP’s knowledge of course) in order to make sure that President Chen was reelected so that they did not have to lose money in all of the election wagers they were hosting. I think this is very plausible considering the amount of money that was wagered and how they said that most of the people voted for Lien to win. The gangsters would have had to pay out too much money no? They fixed the fight!

Do any of you guys think that if this was the real explanation that it is grounds for a recall of the election? If not, do you think the KMT would think it was an excuse (I know everything is an excuse for them). Finally legally, would it be a reason for a recall? This is of course assuming that neither the Blues nor the Greens were involved at all and it was all the gangsters planning? By the way, if it was the gangsters, I think they would need to up the reward by 10X the amount to get anyone to speak.

Rascal, you underestimate the creativity of the pan-Blues. As soon as Henry Lee left, they came up with new theories: the DPP planted the glass shards (from the windshield) in the car, etc.

Anyway, it’s clear that this is not going to go anywhere, and it never will. Even if by some stroke of luck the suspect is caught, the pan-Blues will say the DPP hired some guy to take the blame.

The bottom line is, the pan-Blues believe that they lost the election because of the shooting, and therefore to them the election will always be “unfair.” Unless they win of course.

Hobart, I assume you meant “withOUT the DPP’s knowledge.”

In any case, any theory that the shooting was meant only to graze not to kill is far-fetched. Look at is this way – if you believe it was possible for a mobster to hire a professional marksman to just graze Chen & Lu, then why shouldn’t a pan-Blue supporter believe the DPP could hire someone to do the same?