President limiting his own power

The thing is that the president has the power to replace the premier. So this statement does not limit his power. He can fire the premier any day he wants the power back.

Nixon was forced to resign after committing, and overseeing the commission of, crimes. Chen himself has committed no crimes, nor has he overseen any. Nixon, like the KMT yesterday and today, set out to undermine democracy in his own country to ensure his own power. Of course, unlike the murderers Chiang Ching-kuo and Chiang Kai-shek, Nixon could be forced to resign, for he was unable to end rule of law in his country. You are right in arguing that there is a salutary lesson here, but it applies to the KMT and its ally the Chinese Communist Party, not to Chen and the DPP.

There are plenty of examples of leaders floudering around in political crises, but Nixon himself is far more like the KMT than the DPP.

Vorkosigan

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]
Nixon was forced to resign after committing, and overseeing the commission of, crimes. [/quote]
Didn’t we just have a discussion about being innocent until proven guilty? Just fine if you don’t extend that priviledge to KMT members in Taiwan, but I would’ve thought you might have a little respect for the foundation of your own country’s legal system.

Indeed.
This whole episode is an attempt to diffuse the confidence crisis CSB faces. And it likely looks that it’s going to backfire & snowball.

And while it’s not just the ethical matter of his son-in-law’s behaviour, that’s just the tip of the iceberg, no doubt. How many of his top aides are under investigation?

If this were a Westminster type of system, it would all be over, and there would be a snap election in 2 weeks.
Alas, Republicanism (which has it’s historical roots in despotical tyrants in Imperial Rome, amongst other), is at hold. The Greedy will hold on to the mantle of Power for as long as it takes for them to cement or mold their own image in history.

I would give a pinkie or two to be able to get ahold of the transcripts of the PRC’s Politburo, & the various Central Committees right now…

Has CSB “relinquished” any of his NT$800k a month salary?

Abolish the three branches of government - they’re not doing anything anyway - and employ expat managers to run the country. Fix the sewers, the education system, balance the health care budget, draft and enforce planning and environmental laws, build up a police force. In short, get the British in and turn this place into Hong Kong II: The Sequel. It’s patently obvious that there is going to be one corrupt and useless government after another until China no longer needs or wants Taiwan. Then the economy will go to hell and there will be a revolution. Bingo! Instant Philippines. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you’re rich. Being a rich man in a poor country isn’t so bad, but it will suck for the Taiwanese poor. It doesn’t have to happen, of course, but it will because politicians are too busy filling their own pockets to care about five years from now, and the public are too busy doing the same thing to prod the politicians in any particular direction. Now, I’m going up to the First Class Promenade Deck where I believe there is a string quartet playing “Nearer my God to Thee” and the martinis are free. “Women and Syphillitic Old Poofs First!”

Agree Lucan, let us all fill our own pockets over here return home rich - at least, we would have accomplished our goals. So if anyone here can get some good information about the stock market and is willing to share it with me, let me be taiwanese please…

And for British comming here, I think that I would send some guys from the Luxembourgish or the Swiss government first… they seem to be better at it, don’t they, on how to transform a land of good for nothings into a prosperity zone. But then again, how would taiwanese react if the government would say to you - you cannot do this and this and this and that, because this damn place is awfull like hell.
For god sake, this country stinks so big time that you can leave a body rotting for six months in the mayor office…

The problem is the whole market is driven by rumour, and most of them are wrong. How do you know which are the good insider rumours? (hint: when top politicians are betting on them too)

I would call once again for the establishment of a Hong Kong-style Independent Commission Against Corruption, but I don’t think anybody can really be bothered to establish one. And knowing this place, it would be corrupted within months anyway… Shame, really.

wow, you even give months for it to be corrupt, I would expect that the moment they where choosing the people inside there would be corruption allready… you know, the guys of the Independent Commission are allways good targets to receive many “gifts”, so they would be willing to give some “gifts” to the guys choosing the members.

I was told that the father of President Chen Shui Bian’s Son in Law was a KMT official known for corruption involving tax dollars! (Please confirm)

If so its…

1. Unfortunate that CSB has no authority on who his adult daughter chooses to marry.

2. I guess its not totally off that parents really do have an effect on their children.

3. Unfortunately, CSB’s Son In Law was not married long enough to counter the influence from CSB.

4. Maybe we should have his Son In Law’s Dad quit the KMT and call for Soongs resignation from the PFP because hes known to have used tax dollars to buy homes all over. We should also get all convicted KMT officials to finally go to jail and serve their sentencing instead of prancing around on TV all day.

Uh, Chao Yu-chu is actually a “retired elementary-school principal”. (www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/arc … 2003278183)

Good try with the slander, though. As far as the rest of your little denial-inspired flight of fancy:

1. Reportedly, CSB’s wife picked Mr. Chao for his daughter because his head suggested a prosperous future.

2. Uh-huh.

3. Wow. You really do love Chen Shui-bian.

4. I don’t understand who you’re angry with that James Soong hasn’t been prosecuted for his “crimes”. Is it the Taiwanese prosecutors and Chen Shui-bian’s incompetence that frustrates you? Why haven’t they charged the guy with a crime, yet?

Does school principal has to do anything with KMT in the old days? You can bet it does…
And, as far as crimes from the past, it is more or less convenient no touch them, for the good sake of democracy and the KMT. They where corrupt, everybody knows that, now let us move forward and grab a little bit more…

[quote=“mr_boogie”]Does school principal has to do anything with KMT in the old days? You can bet it does…
And, as far as crimes from the past, it is more or less convenient no touch them, for the good sake of democracy and the KMT. They where corrupt, everybody knows that, now let us move forward and grab a little bit more…[/quote]So what are you saying, boogie? With your wealth of Taiwanese experience, you’re telling us all school principals are actually KMT political operatives? And you’re also telling us that prosecutors under Chen Shui-bian’s 6-year administration are too busy grabbing a little more than going after their political enemies?

Right. Brilliant.

So Lee Ang father, a principal at CSB’s high school, is to blame for CSB criminal behavior.

NO, what I am saying is that to be a principal in a school in the old times, you had to be deep in the KMT system. No more, no less. Not even thinking so is pure illusion.

Of course, as well all know because he’s an elementary school principal he must be scott free clean.

[quote=“cctang”]Good try with the slander, though. As far as the rest of your little denial-inspired flight of fancy:

So you’re suggesting that President Chen’s daughter had nothing in the decision of who to marry? chuckles

[quote=“cctang”]2) Uh-huh.[/quote] Yeah you can’t argue with that.

No I don’t love him, its just better influence that apparently his son’ in law’s dad.

We don’t really need it, it was amusing enough watching him make endless excuses on TV, changing it on a near daily basis, to even stating that “I do what everyone else does, its just the other politicians haven’t been caught yet”. So yeah, its hilarious.

Again, if you want Chen Shui Bian’s Son in Law to step down from the DPP for his suspected actions, he already did. Where are the rest of the CONVICTED Pan Blues who are still prancing about on TV? Shouldn’t they take a trip straight to jail so they won’t look like total hypocrites?

I don’t compliment you much, ShrimpCrackers, but that’s a much more valid point than mr_boogie’s claim that all elementary school principals are actually corrupt KMT operatives.

But anyways. When did the debate become so ass-backwards? Why is it my burden to prove that his father is a “scott free clean” elementary school principal? Shouldn’t it be your burden to prove that he’s affiliated with the KMT and/or corrupt in some way?

Or do we not understand the rules of logical debate?

well, unless he was a avis rara of the system in Taiwan, that can be assumed. How many Taiwanese where teachers in the first place? How many soldiers that came to Taiwan ended up teaching in schools mandarin to the poor retarded Taiwanese that only knew how to speak Taiwanese and Japanese?

See, I come from a place where there was corruption everywhere in the dictatorship times, so to be in a top position (and school principal is a top position) you had to have good connections with the ones deciding, and those where allways from the party. And, just watching who has better benefits in Taiwan after retirement, you can see where the KMT camp is installed. Special supermarkets for poor teachers and public workers who get 4 months bonus in LNY - hever heard about this?

And it seems now that Chiu Yi just changed the vouchers story to another complete stupidy - it seems now that the first lady bought the coupons with 10% discount - it seems to be a serious crime, so I am really waiting to see all the people who ever bought coupons from Sogo with discount going to jail.