President Tsai will seek re-election in 2020

She announced she will seek re-election.
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/02/19/asia/tsai-ingwen-taiwan-2020-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.tw%2F&rm=1

1 Like

She should announce state of emergency and cancel the 2020 elections.

That would make this place on the same level of China man…

Who’s going to oppose her? Return of the Horse?

Maybe Terry Gou or Premier Lai. I feel like it can’t be too hard to beat her if Ma is being considered.

Are you insane?

He’s not.

Korea-yu bastard or his nemesis in the north maybe

1 Like

Nice short report from CNN. Good on Tsai for clearly laying out Taiwan’s case here.

Guy

1 Like

Anyone else find it interesting that Tsai finally found some balls now that 2020 is nearing? forget politician styles and “thats what they do” argument, not interested. she hasnt been there in many ways. and the ways she has stood up (or her government anyway) is all in areas that the great important masses knows nothing about and seems to not care about. eg. human rights, nuclear, environment,and seemingly chinas death grip. DPP needs a massive bitch slap, every single one of them. But they will lose. And to take their place its a china friendly bunch of selfish sell outs that love the one country who is actively, world wide, dominating and making their slow progress of control. Is there anyone in Taiwan, in Chinese, talking about this in a meaningful way of education that doesnt at the same time look like they’re on meth or just born crazy? If so, we should give them more air time!

Im no Tsai fan, but the alternative is worrying. If she runs, dpp will lose and at this time there is only one alternative. this is the trump/clinton thing all over again. shit.

This is the reason i dont give up my citizenship to become Taiwanese. The only reason (escape, plan B).

Good luck Tsai, too little too late, but maybe you can make it up by spending your money wisely…

1 Like

Who knows what will happen in the 2020 election? But so far in Taiwan’s democratic era, the incumbent has been re-elected every time, even when they were not perceived as exceptionally popular or effective.

The KMT does not seem especially organized or poised to seize executive power, but with Taiwan’s compromised media environment, who knows how things will play out.

Guy

1 Like

Wow, how sure she is that she will win in 2020?

I don’t think many are counting on the european army.

It seems to me you are counting…

Cause otherwise Taiwan would take own security more seriously. But no one will do first fight instead of locals

Will be in, when American are in. We will support our allies. We are NATO members.

And before someone come to my face, mine did hell of fight in Vukovar. I do not remember getting any support from Asians democracies for fighting communist - fascist Serbs gangs.

You talking like Europe is like Africa. Many countries have powerful military and every country have at least few powerful units. Just take a look how Portuguese handled well, in lately conflict in Africa. Great moving and skills of infantry

When it comes to me i believe Taiwan is part of Chinese world and should share same destiny with other chinese people. Election will show many think similar in Taiwan too

If she’s a candidate, Tsai had better be prepared to win. That’s part of the job description!

Guy

1 Like

We all know who bank rolls NATO. No doubt European nations have elite units that can carry small scale operations. I’ve seen how skilled Finnish special units and other countries special units can be. Probably put Taiwan’s special units to shame. But an all out war? Taiwan’s defense budget is higher than most European countries other than UK, France and Germany. Even then, germany has issues like not being able to build a sea worthy war ship and not really that many fighter jets to engage in any missions to help Taiwan. U.K and France maybe with their aircraft carriers and war ships. But that’s about it.

The battle will be decided in air and sea. Hardly any European countries will be able to provide much help, many don’t even have a naval fleet. Where’s the elite infantry going to land?

European support would be nice, but not many countries are really fit to engage in war on the pacific front.

Taiwan does need to step up on the military though. I agree. First either cut conscription and invest in a good fully voluntary force or make conscription serious like Israel’s. Also step up more on naval and air strength. Idk why we spend so much on infantry. We are hopefully going to get some more fighter jets from the US.

Realistically, the none official NATO member of japan would be the most help outside of the US.

Europe can only help via trade and lip service. Both are useful until things get violent…

I feel a Monty Python line coming on…