Presidential election 2012: Romney v Obama

As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz. He’s suggested sexing up his name, and badabing, he came up with - The Stormin’ Mormon!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG[/quote]

Yeah, he could be classy and have pizzazz like former Australian Labor PM Bob Hawke and leave his wife when she gets alzheimers (they divorced before she got it but I would argue she showed symptoms of short-term memory loss in the 90s). :laughing: The audacity of Australians sometimes! :laughing:

At least he cried about it (and pretty much everything else) on telly.

The Stormin’ Mormon is perfect. Gives him some of that military feel the Reps seem to enjoy and he so lacks. Well, okay, to be fair, while others his age were off in Vietnam he was fighting the good fight from a bicycle in a white shirt and black badge in France, and verbally defending the war, erhm, as a Christian missionary should.

HG

So how did President Obama get off to the fastest start in recent history in piling up government debt in the U.S. while “spending so little”? Are there some sort of Wall Street style government accounting shenanigans going on?

What a strange way to attack the Dems, Winston. Funny thing is my dear departed grandad probably said almost the same, verbatim, but ended it with “the Turks” instead of “the Dems.”

And oh dear, just recently, Gallup put this out.
Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy - About half of Republicans blame Bush

And broken down:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]What a strange way to attack the Dems, Winston. Funny thing is my dear departed grandad probably said almost the same, verbatim, but ended it with “the Turks” instead of “the Dems.”

. . . HG[/quote]

I’m not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending? Is it some sort of accounting trick or is there some other explanation? I see that the answer is: the extension of Bush era tax cuts, the continuation of Bush era foreign wars and the ongoing repair work of the damage done to the U.S. economy while a distracted Bush was off tilting at windmills of mass destruction in the Middle East. Bad Bush!

Apologies, Winston. I haven’t been back on this site for sometime, and mistook you for someone else. Someone that does like to bait the dems. :blush:

I guess the upside is that Obama is or has wound down the wars. Unfortunately the cost of that will play out in both human and monetary terms for some considerable time. And we may have to add in a further financial bail-out at some point, as the structural issues behind the previous crash have still not been addressed.

HG

Repubiclans getting nervous about Rmoney’s refusal to release his financial documents:

[quote=“Winston Smith”]
I’m not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending? [/quote]

Collapse of government revenue due to huge recession? The reason Reagan had such a high debt increase was that he made massive tax cuts without accompanying spending cuts. Clinton didn’t cut spending but had huge increases in revenue due to both raising taxes and a booming economy.
Obama has made some tax cuts, but has had to bring in a stimulus and watch countercyclical spending rise, but the overall economy is just not generating much revenue.

[quote=“MikeN”][quote=“Winston Smith”]
I’m not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending? [/quote]

Collapse of government revenue due to huge recession? The reason Reagan had such a high debt increase was that he made massive tax cuts without accompanying spending cuts. Clinton didn’t cut spending but had huge increases in revenue due to both raising taxes and a booming economy.
Obama has made some tax cuts, but has had to bring in a stimulus and watch countercyclical spending rise, but the overall economy is just not generating much revenue.[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks to you and HG for clarifying that.

Another huge contribution to the US public debt is the current account deficit the US has (has had for many months now). It’s not government spending but it’s added to the fiscal deficit anyway.

It’s “curable” if US citizens would do either of the following, buy fewer imports or increase personal savings - neither of which is directly related to fiscal policy, unlike tax revenue and government spending.

[quote=“Chris”]Repubiclans getting nervous about Rmoney’s refusal to release his financial documents:

[/quote]

This Fred Flintstone guy is like a Lefty Rush… :laughing: No wonder chris loves him so much!

I’ve been predicting a Romney win, but lately I’ve started getting the feeling that Romney may not even be the nominee.

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG[/quote]

Yeah, he could be classy and have pizzazz like former Australian Labor PM Bob Hawke and leave his wife when she gets alzheimers (they divorced before she got it but I would argue she showed symptoms of short-term memory loss in the 90s). :laughing: The audacity of Australians sometimes! :laughing:[/quote]

Sounds like Newt Gingrich.

The media is owned by Disney, GE, Newscorp etc… All very, very conservative corporations. People think the ‘liberal bias’ exists because people in the media are for the most part bound by fact and real sources, and those things don’t always jive with so many of the bullshit right wing talking points out there.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG[/quote]

Yeah, he could be classy and have pizzazz like former Australian Labor PM Bob Hawke and leave his wife when she gets alzheimers (they divorced before she got it but I would argue she showed symptoms of short-term memory loss in the 90s). :laughing: The audacity of Australians sometimes! :laughing:[/quote]

The media is owned by Disney, GE, Newscorp etc… All very, very conservative corporations. People think the ‘liberal bias’ exists because people in the media are for the most part bound by fact and real sources, and those things don’t always jive with so many of the bullshit right wing talking points out there.[/quote]
Or John McCain.

Romney and tax returns- in 2009 United Bank of Switzerland was hit by the IRS with charges of conspiracy to aid US citizens to evade taxes. UBS paid $780 million in fines and agreed to turn over the names of more than 4,000 Americans sheltering income overseas. Because these people were mostly extremely wealthy, the IRS treated them with kid gloves, offering an amnesty if they moved their money back. The result:

[quote] Wealthy U.S. taxpayers, concerned about an Internal Revenue Service crackdown on the use of secret overseas bank accounts as tax havens, are rushing to meet a Thursday deadline to disclose those accounts or face possible criminal prosecution.

The concern was triggered this summer when Switzerland’s largest bank, caught up in an international tax evasion dispute, said it would disclose the names of more than 4,000 of its U.S. account holders.

The decision shattered a long-held belief that Swiss banks would guard the identities of its American customers as carefully as they did their money, and it raised concern that other international tax havens might be next.

Under an amnesty program, the IRS is allowing taxpayers to avoid prosecution for having failed to report their overseas accounts. As a result, tax attorneys across the nation have been besieged by wealthy clients who are lining up to apply even though they will still face big financial penalties. [/quote]

articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/13 … fi-swiss13

So, Mitt showed his tax returns up to 2008 to McCain (who then chose Sarah); but did he take advantage of the 2009 amnesty? Not illegal, of course, but not the best image for Romney.

ww.slate.com/content/slate/blogs/moneybox/jcr:content.html

“Is it irresponsible to speculate? It would be irresponsible not to.”- Peggy Noonan

[quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG[/quote]

They were divorced in 1995; she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2001.

Your long-distance diagnosis is based on your years of study in neuropathology? Were you the guy who clued in Biil Frist on Terri Schiavo?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“ChewDawg”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG[/quote]

The media is owned by Disney, GE, Newscorp etc… All very, very conservative corporations. People think the ‘liberal bias’ exists because people in the media are for the most part bound by fact and real sources, and those things don’t always jive with so many of the bullshit right wing talking points out there.[/quote]
Or John McCain.[/quote]

But not Mitt Romney. So stop painting all Republicans like they’re slime. They aren’t. Romney is a solid family man, not that he gets any credit for that because our culture sneers at stuff like that.

I think Romney has a lot of pizzazz. He just wasn’t properly vetted is all. We need to get breitbart.com on the job and really get him vetted this time.

One major difference: Cenk actually tells the truth.