Presidential Superstitions

I don’t need to convince you; I don’t entirely agree with what you speculated and concluded in your (and others’)posts, so I say it out, with my own reason and inference. That’s all. I read some biased speculations in this thread without convincing evidence, but I do agree with you that it’s wrong to have c-section for an auspicious birth day.

B.B, You quote a Taiwanese Doctor who states that C-Sections are safe. I think that DOC has a screw loose. I think Maoman, Holgar and the others have said it very well. If a csection is medically necessary, then it is fine, but most doctors in Europe, the States and Canada have a C-section rate that is below 10%. This includes the US where some insurance companies now advise c-sections for repeat children born to mothers who had their first child via C-section.

I do not have time today to look up the many many many studies and reports that show that a c-section is more dangerous to the mother, takes longer to recover from, also puts the child at risk for more complications, than a normal delivery. But, I assure you they exist.

As a woman who gave birth… naturally, was that I was able to get up and walk around within an hour of my child’s birth. I was able to pick him up and carry him in my arms. I was released from the hospital, with 36 hours. My family came from the states 5 days after his birth and I was off site seeing with them. Had I had a C-section, for whatever the reason, I would have been hospitalized for 4-5 days (or more). I would have had an incision in my abdomen that cut through all of the layers of my epidermis, the doctor would have stuck her hands inside my abdominal cavity, moved and or cut the muscle tissue and organs surrounding the uterus, cut through my Uterus and removed the baby. It would have taken 2-3 weeks to recover.

THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY. YOU CAN DIE, YOU CAN HAVE COMPLICATIONS, YOU CAN GET INFECTIONS MUCH EASIER THAN VAGINAL BIRTH…(need we get into the fact that Taiwan, in addition to having one of the worlds highest C-section rates, also has one of the highest rates for hospital borne infections like Staph due to the over prescription of antibiotics?).

So, my point is that c-sections should not be taken lightly. They should not be done for convenience (I want to go back to school), or superstition (I want to give birth on a lucky day) or any other non-medical reason!

Kristy (a mother who has given birth, naturally, but whose doctor was nearly considering a C-section for MEDICAL reasons after labor failed to progress)

If women were designed for c-section, they would come with a zipper below their navels :smiling_imp:

Concur with the previous post. Avoid unnecessary surgery. If females are afriad of the pain, an epidural blocade can take care of that. With a walking epidural, the duretion of the birth won’t be much longer, as they can still push.

A Chinese friend of ours was pregnant in Shanghai, and all of her friends just competed in telling horror stories about pregnancy and giving birth (even those who had no children). No wonder many Chinese women see c-section as the easier path with less pain. Women in the West seem to see birth more relaxed, and most women I know try to have as natural a delivery as possible. Even those who had painful delivery wouldn’t choose c-section for their next ones just because of the pain.

Why is it that pregnancy and birth seem so much more connected to fear and pain for Chinese women? Anybody knows?

Oh, and I agree with the zipper thing!

Iris

When in India I saw a woman, hugely pregnant, go off into the woods one morning for the usual day out there collecting firewood. She came back in the afternoon with the usual large bundle of firewood, and a baby girl. She’d delivered the baby on the mountain by herself, tied and cut the cord with her farm tools, and then gone on to collect the firewood the family would need to cook the evening meal. She got the evening off, her eldest daughter cooking dinner, and was back to work the next day. No one made any fuss, not even the mother herself. No big deal.

None of this nonsense about not opening windows, or washing hair, or being spoon-fed chicken broth for a month… :unamused:

The doctor’s responsibility is to look after the medical interests of both mother and child. It is not, in my opinion, to pander to the whims of the mother. On the other hand, if the doctor believes that performing a caesarian section is the best course of action, then who can argue with him. The unfortunate thing is that once sucessfully born, there will be little anyone can do to prevent the whims and fancies of the parents having a negative effect on the child. But in the maternity ward the choices should be medical ones. A health system which makes medical choices solely an exercise of the doctors’ professional judgement, and prohibits direct payment of doctors by patients is surely preferable because the doctors are free to consult their consciences and exercise their medical judgement free of financial concerns. And I am talking about the private sector here, which I am sure was the case here.

I wonder if they tipped their doctor? That’s common practice in Taiwan, (in the past especially if it was a boy - like the doctor had anything to do with that!)

More Presidential superstitious nonsense - it seems that President Chen has a lucky amulet.

[quote=“The China Post”]"If a child wears it, it will assure him that he grows up in peace and security and has good school grades.

"If a boy wears it, it will assure him that he will get a full 100 marks in every examination.

"If a girl wears it, it will assure her that she will be beautiful and marry a good husband.

"If a man wears it, it will assure him that he will be strong and brave, his business will grow, and he will make big money.

“If an old man or woman wears it, it will assure him or her that he or she will live 102 years or 200 years!”[/quote]
What a renaissance man! Glad to know we’re living in an age of science and reason. :unamused: :eh:

They forgot one line.

“If a President wears it, it will protect him from bullets and assure him of a second term.”

You do realize that politicians do stuff like this for favor with the masses eh? Like the down-home accent A-Bian puts on. Ever seen a polician of any stripe not bai-bai at the temple for the cameras?

I know very little about feng shui, but apparently many people believe strongly in it. That’s their way, and it’s a way that seems truly to be a part of their culture.