Pretty cool dialect quiz

[quote=“Incubus”]
It really bugs when people say unaccurate instead of inaccurate.[/quote]

Not as bad as missing subjects in sentences bug me. :smiley:

In sports why do Americans use the term, ‘to put English,’ on a ball? This is a different question to, ‘what does to put English on a ball mean?’ Careful. :smiley:

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Incubus”]

In sports why do
Americans
[/quote]

:noway:

:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“superking”][quote=“Incubus”]

In sports why do
Americans
[/quote]

:noway:

:P[/quote]

Deconstructive humour, Jesus, old bean. It’s my new favourite thing.

You didn’t see my tongue :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“superking”]

In sports why do Americans use the term, ‘to put English,’ on a ball? This is a different question to, ‘what does to put English on a ball mean?’ Careful. :smiley:[/quote]

Interesting question. This is the best (if not satisfactory) explanation I can find so far

newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive … 02793.html

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Incubus”]

[/quote]
Haha, you got me. :blush: I’ve always hated proofreading.

It’s very easy to understand: United States OF America. So, there’s something called America which is not USA, but USA belongs to that thing called America. I hope now you see what I mean.[/quote]

That doesn’t make sense. There’s the Estados Unidos Mexicanos, but that doesn’t imply that there is a larger land mass / population using the name Mexican.

I see that you are not registering my point so I will not push it further because I generally like you and don’t want to sacrifice an e-friendship over something I’m right about. :wink: (see what I did there?)

Wow some people are way over thinking this. Americans are from the United States of America, end of story. Anybody not from the United States specifically is not an American. They may be from north or south America, but that’s a completely different reference…

Well that kinda clears it up for me then. I’ve been to Florida a few times, but I gotta say I didn’t really feel like I fit in so I find it odd that they think I speak like someone from Florida. Are there really that many of us Canadians down there? People where I’m from tend to retire in Scottsdale, not Florida…

Yep. It’s actually worse than that, though. Summers the entire East Coast is practically overrun with Canadians. Feels like half of all known Canadians, maybe more, visits during the summers.

No offense, but I doubt many Canadians retire anywhere close to Arizona, home of the wildly popular Joe Arpaio. Surely the vast majority of Canadian retirees within a few hundred miles of Phoenix would cluck themselves silly within just a few days. :idunno:

Yep. It’s actually worse than that, though. Summers the entire East Coast is practically overrun with Canadians. Feels like half of all known Canadians, maybe more, visits during the summers.

No offense, but I doubt many Canadians retire anywhere close to Arizona, home of the wildly popular Joe Arpaio. Surely the vast majority of Canadian retirees within a few hundred miles of Phoenix would cluck themselves silly within just a few days. :idunno:[/quote]

Lots of Canadians in Arizona. Western Canadians tend to retire in the Western United States. Arizona for many years was a much cheaper alternative to California or Hawaii.

As for the dialect quiz, I’m from Vancouver, Canada and got pegged with Tacoma, Spokane and Honolulu. Close as you can get.

New York, Yonkers or Honolulu.

Not bad. I’m from Belfast.

It seems to toss up Hawaii for a lot of people, not sure what the marker for it is.

I thing it was saying “fireflies” that did it for me.

My uncle and aunt live near Mesa. They say that every winter, there is a massive migration of Canadian geese in RVs and trucks coming in for a few months, presumably to avoid the cold.

I thing it was saying “fireflies” that did it for me.[/quote]

nah, I chose firefly and still landed square in SoCal. By the way, it was a awesome show. Six seasons and a movie.

I thing it was saying “fireflies” that did it for me.[/quote]

Ahhh, could be, my daughter put that, and got a red Hawaii. She had a mix of Cali and NY. “Lightning bugs” to me :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of “lightning bugs” before this survey. I am very not East Coast.

It got my city of origin, which is surprising, given that it’s relatively unknown.

There are a few variations of questions. but, each time I take the quiz, I get the same results:

[color=#000000]P[/color][color=#FFBF00]i[/color][color=#000000]t[/color][color=#FFBF00]t[/color][color=#000000]s[/color][color=#FFBF00]b[/color][color=#000000]u[/color][color=#FFBF00]r[/color][color=#000000]g[/color][color=#FFBF00]h[/color]

Any idea about the Pittsburgh-Michigan connection?