Price of Covid treatment without NHI

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was anyone who went through a long stay at the hospital without NHI, as I’m wondering how much it would cost me if I ever got Covid. I’ve been living off my savings for about a year now, but I’m afraid that might deplete them. For the record, I also have asthma, which means I’d probably have to stay at the hospital for a week if I was to catch it. Of course, that’s the worst case scenario, but if cases start going through the roof, I feel like going back to Canada just in case I have to get treated would be the better option. Does anyone agree/disagree?

Cheers, don’t forget to wash your hands!

Most likely, and highly likely, that you will never pay more than paying out of pocket in Canada, even for common visits to the doctor.

1 Like

I’m in almost identical situation, decided I’m going to try lay low until my new booked direct flight to UK at huge cost.
No chance of getting vaccine here now and possibly no chance of returning for a year! :frowning:

1 Like

How about getting some health insurance? That is what you should have had all the time anyway

1 Like

Any recommendations? :slight_smile:

I am not the expert on this, but I think there are lots of policies for digital nomads these days which you might want to look at. Google is your friend. Of course, you need to carefully check their terms and conditions. And then there should also be the international expat policies which however tend to be quite expensive. And finally you can look at travel insurance from your own country which might however not cover you if you are already abroad

The way to get health insurance is through the NHI. It depends whether you qualify. If not, you could self insure or buy private health insurance which may be expensive.

Who’s going to rule Taipei when you’re gone?

5 Likes

OK when your here not wanting to go back because of Covid-19 in home Country,
I had holiday cover for 9 months when that expired I keep thinking I’m going back.
However things don’t improve back home and Taiwan kindly keep giving 30 day extension.

BUT a big BUT I can get NHI as I have a ROC ID number, anyone can get one from MOFA.

I’ve just never done as I keep thinking I’m going home! Each month I wait for the 30 day extension, don’t know if will be granted?

Getting private/expat health insurance in another country when your staying for reasons that you didn’t intend is almost impossible.
One of those things you have to do before you travel.

1 Like

However if Taiwan goes from Amber zone country UK to Red zone I will cancel flight and hang it out.

I believe Taiwan government has a separate budget to cover COVID treatment for everyone. Although I am not 100% sure, most of the COVID related treatment may be covered even u don’t have NHI.
It seems that most people voluntarily lock themself down and hope it will be under control in 14 days.

2 Likes

The power of hope. Me thinks, multiply that number by about 4.

This is not the case. The Taiwan government doesn’t have that kind of budget allocated.

iiuc, that is the case.

https://health.udn.com/health/story/120950/5060567

COVID-19個案隔離治療、檢驗等相關費用支付原則.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Category/ListContent/EmXemht4IT-IRAPrAnyG9A?uaid=iRLzCnivpSi2ucfno1UFUQ

嚴重特殊傳染性肺炎 - 衛生福利部中央健康保險署

若無健保身分或亦無居留證如何申報費用?

1. 移送至隔離治療機構前,具健保身分者,醫療費用由健保支付,若無健保身分無法申報,需自費。
  2. 移送至隔離治療機構後,費用由疾病管制署支付(含健保身分、無健保身分及外國人士),健保署代辦。
2 Likes

I believe the Taiwanese government will foot the bill if you got Covid, but being uninsured is not a good idea. What if you got another illness or got in an accident that requires expensive treatment and/or hospital stay?

1 Like

Arent all foreigners required to get nhi after 6 months residing here?

There are foreigners on visitor visa or visa exempt, and given special extension due to covid19. They are not eligible to NHI.

3 Likes

Are you sure this enables you to get NHI? And is there not also a 6 months waiting period anyway until you are covered in general?

There is a 6 month “waiting” period.

1 Like