Priests and nuns

Is this many years ago like back in the 1980s or now?

My sample size is one guy from a few decades ago, and one guy around my age.

1 Like

Who da fuk he?

I started this thread for a few reasons. It seems like society has less and less people who are trusted. The police, politicians, judiciary none seem to be trusted anymore. So whose left ? Yes, I know answers will be trust people on how you find them not what they do. However, isn’t it kind of sad that no careers are trusted. It seems that most still tend to give respect to nuns though , more than to priests it seems. When I was last around a nun I felt very nervous.

2 Likes

What are you even on about?

Why would anyone feel nervous around a nun?

1 Like

My dad went to Catholic school, so he had that whole negative experience with the “penguins.” But all the nuns I ever met through the church were extremely nice.

I wonder if the same tendency of closeted gay men who “can’t” come out to turn to priesthood applies to nuns. Looking back on my childhood, at least one of the priests I knew was definitely gay. But I don’t know about the nuns.

1 Like

3 Likes

She’d for sure make me come to the Church.

2 Likes

She’d make me come anywhere.

2 Likes

you bunch of perverts never leave the religious forum :rofl:

3 Likes

5 Likes

That’s called “beating the hell out of someone”

1 Like

Best nun scene ever.

Oh and this one:

3 Likes

Yes, but I’m trying to change this attitude in myself. It helps when a friend is a former monk who tells you how annoying priests can get when they visit monasteries and act like they are in charge. It also helps to be friends with priests and then go out drinking with them – just regular guys.

Not all are like that. Some are very reserved and some seem naive. But most are very capable and hardened – been there/done that kind of attitude. I don’t know any Taiwanese priests, though.

This has just been my experience in Taiwan, where I have volunteered in 4 different Catholic parishes and am currently active in 2 of them.

3 Likes

Yeah, that can be a thing, but on the other hand you get used to being around them as well. But I was a good student so they liked me :slight_smile:

Yeah, there are guys like this back home as well. There are fewer priests now, so probably fewer. I’d still watch my language a bit though I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whaaattttt?? Color me truly shocked.

Interesting read:

1 Like

Whew. Wow that was a heck of a read . I have such mixed feelings that I almost think I shouldn’t have read it. But good post.

From the article:

And another seminarian adds, repeating a mantra that I have heard several times: “Jesus never once mentions homosexuality. If it’s such a terrible thing, why does Jesus not talk about it?”

I think this is that “excuse my behavior” attitude. Homosexuality or heterosexuality, sex outside the marriage AFIK in the Catholic religion falls under the adultery category. Or so says Father Rocky on Relevant Radio…

Isn’t it a Catch 22 though? Gay marriage is not accepted so it’s kind of a double jeopardy situation.

1 Like

I wonder how the Church dealt with priests dying from AIDS related illnesses?