Print a color book without paying through the nose?

I’m trying to print a book that’s around 200 pages in color. It doesn’t have to be A4 paper. I’ve been quoted $2500 NTD outside of Taipei. That is ridiculously expensive compared to getting things sent from abroad (about 1k NTD with shipping from what I saw). Is there anywhere that could potentially match this price or am I stuck having to order from abroad?

1 Like

Anyone else have any recommendations beyond illustrating metaphors graphically? lol

2 Likes

I’d just do it (or the vast majority of it, for parts where color isn’t important) in black and white. I’ve done that before at the NT$0.8 per page places near universities.

In this case you should have change from NT$200 after binding and trimming. Even printing it all in color, I wouldn’t expect those places to charge as much as your quote, which seems to be approaching 7-11 single-page prices.

4 Likes

Okay. I will have to inquire around unis. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t know the price per page for color, but I feel like NT$3 or something might be about right (someone can correct me if I’m wrong). I thought 7-11 was NT$10 per page (I also might be wrong about this).

You’re in Hualien or Yilan if I remember correctly, but in Taipei there are several around Gongguan for the nearby unis, and I never had a problem just walking in and asking them to print and bind something.

1 Like

That’s interesting because I was told that I need to tell them pages and what books and then they’ll get back to me. Weird.

Yeah, in Hualien area. If around 3 NT, that’s a lot less than what I’m getting quoted. The book is VERY colorful, so their rate is like 7 or 8 NT, and I don’t know if that’s standard, but it’s a LOT more expensive than getting it shipped from elsewhere.

Are you looking for proper 4-color printing and binding, or a reasonable facsimile?

I think a reasonable facsimile is best because it’s really just for home use. Printing and binding could work but not necessary. Really just smaller than A4 paper + priced “competitively” is all I care about.

1 Like

Hit all the local copy/printing shops.

1 Like