Printer and scanner suggestions

I think I’d benifit having my own printer and scanner now. What are my options here? Back in the homeland I had a HP lasterjet that I was really happy with and a cheap scanner that got the job done. I think I’d want a similar setup here.

Are color printers cost effective now? I never liked color printers becuase the ink was expensive and they were slow. Is there anyone here that has a color printer and loves it? I’m think about getting one because I’d like to make my own teaching materials (flashcards, etc.), or would it just be cheaper to go to a print shop?

I just bought an Epson Stylus CX5100 last week and I think it’s great. It’s a color printer, scanner, copier all in one, quite fast too - up to 22ppm. Went for the Epson cause I liked the way it looked and the functions but also the ink is a lot cheaper than say HP. Price was $7600 from 3C.

Back in my printer selling days Epsons were the best. I forgot about the all in ones, last I checked (about 4 years ago) they had some really cool ones. I think I might need to update myself about the world of printers.

Epsons are the very best. Best build quality and best support. Period.

About 20 years ago, the handle on the box for my Epson printer broke just as I started down a triple-height escalator. The box, with printer inside, cartwheeled down the entire escalator before finally flying off the end and slamming into a wall.

A cover plate popped off during its journey. The printer still worked fine.

I think most new printers for sale will do really well for basic b/w and color printing. I’ve been using an HP895CXi printer for several years and it has been rock solid with a good software interface. My only dislike is the cost of new HP ink cartridges.

I will definitely pay more attention to the total cost of ownership (printer cost, cartridge cost, ease of use, driver support) next time I go printer shopping rather than focusing so much on just the features, print quality and printer cost.

Just a reminder, Computex Taipei, which is a massive computer show, will be held in about a month’s time at the WTC in Taipei. That will be an excellent time to get good discounts on all kinds of computers and peripherals. I believe the dates are Sept. 22-26.

So do your research in the weeks ahead, pick out a few printers you are most interested in, get some reference prices at the stores around the Kuanghwa market area, and then wait for Computex to see if (a) anything newer and better comes out, and (b) prices are discounted even more.

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]About 20 years ago, the handle on the box for my Epson printer broke just as I started down a triple-height escalator. The box, with printer inside, cartwheeled down the entire escalator before finally flying off the end and slamming into a wall.

A cover plate popped off during its journey. The printer still worked fine.[/quote]

I can beat that. :laughing: During an argument at my ex-wife’s office in Helmond, Holland I dropped kicked her Epson Photo 800 printer through the 2nd floor glass window. After we calmed down, I went downstairs outside, brought the pieces back up, plugged everything in and it worked fine. That sold me on Epson…along with the fact Epson has always supported OS/2 and BeOS. :smiley:

I too am fed up with expensive HP cartidges. I am in the market for a printer. Do these “combo” units do the job as well as individual components, or are they a total compromise ?

Also - where can I get a good film negative scanner ? (35mm)

[quote=“hexuan”]
Also - where can I get a good film negative scanner ? (35mm)[/quote]

Do you need it for professional print or electronic output?

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“MaPoDoFu”]About 20 years ago, the handle on the box for my Epson printer broke just as I started down a triple-height escalator. The box, with printer inside, cartwheeled down the entire escalator before finally flying off the end and slamming into a wall.

A cover plate popped off during its journey. The printer still worked fine.[/quote]

I can beat that. :laughing: During an argument at my ex-wife’s office in Helmond, Holland I dropped kicked her Epson Photo 800 printer through the 2nd floor glass window. After we calmed down, I went downstairs outside, brought the pieces back up, plugged everything in and it worked fine. That sold me on Epson…along with the fact Epson has always supported OS/2 and BeOS. :smiley:[/quote]

:unamused: Damn, blueface, that is the second story you’ve told about kicking something through glass. Good thing that in this one it was only the printer. I don’t think the ex would have been so forgiving.

Well, this discussion should pretty well settle it for Miltownkid.

You should definitely get a basic Espon printer if you (a) are a klutz who tends to drop things down escalators, or (b) tend to kick things through windows in extreme moments. :slight_smile:

I doubt such treatment would go over so well on one of those all-in-one units like the Epson Stylus CX5100 which have color printer, scanner, and copier functions.

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“hexuan”]
Also - where can I get a good film negative scanner ? (35mm)[/quote]

Do you need it for professional print or electronic output?[/quote]

I need it for storing old negatives in a digital format. I would prefer one which came with software which produced bitmaps I could compress myself, rather than jpegs. I would also like it to cost less than NT$10,000 and be able to handle APS canisters. I have not been able to find anything in my price range.

The combo I was reffering was the first HP printer scanner copier and it was really sexy, no compramising at all. It was actually better then the other printers in terms of speed and quility (if memory serves me correctly) and that was 4 years ago.

Those All-in-one fax, copier, printer things were (and I’ll assume are) utter shite. Fax machines should be fazed out by now anywayz (dammit people, use the interent :x )

[quote=“hexuan”]
I need it for storing old negatives in a digital format. I would prefer one which came with software which produced bitmaps I could compress myself, rather than jpegs. I would also like it to cost less than NT$10,000 and be able to handle APS canisters. I have not been able to find anything in my price range.[/quote]

Eeeee. You’ve got a big problem. For pro work I would have suggested a Nikon Coolscan but the APS adapter add-on goes for about $500US (I think). APS is evil and I’m glad it’s dying out. But that doesn’t help your situation. If you were just dealing with negatives and transparencies I’d suggest a flatbed Epson Perfection 1660. In the US they sell for about $3500NT…here in Taiwan about $8000NT.

Didn’t read the thread … Sorry - Just thought someone that’s after these items may be interested. I have a printer and scanner for sale …

Umax Astra 4500 + it’s box … Hardly used item.
Epson Stylus C20SX + it’s box …

I want NT$ 2000 for each if anyone’s interested.
Email grit_nrg@yahoo.com

Did it look like this? [CLICK HERE]

That is sexy. The price is right too. I’d post the link for the HP’s but I think they’re too expensive, so they will get no love from me. I’m (hopefully) going shopping tomorrow. I feel like my mind’s already made up (are you happy with it so far?)

Picked one up today (3C), won’t play with it 'till tomorrow (it’s too late now). They have a cheaper version for about 4,000 (all in one). They also had a cheap HP for about 4,000. Ditto on the expensive HP ink. One of the nice things about the CX5100 is each color cartridge is separate. That way, when red runs out, you don’t have to throw all the colors out to replace red. You just buy a new red and continue happily copying away.

That’s the same one. Very happy with it so far. I was told to make sure to use the cleaning function every month or so. The reason (I’m told) that the ink is cheaper than HP, is that the HP cartridge comibines the print head (?) and ink together. With the Epson you only buy the ink cartridge and the print head is on the machine itself and must be cleaned every so often.

For scanner and printer reviews, check:

imaging-resource.com/SCAN1.HTM

and

imaging-resource.com/PRINT.HTM

Picked one up today (3C), won’t play with it 'till tomorrow (it’s too late now). They have a cheaper version for about 4,000 (all in one). They also had a cheap HP for about 4,000. Ditto on the expensive HP ink. One of the nice things about the CX5100 is each color cartridge is separate. That way, when red runs out, you don’t have to throw all the colors out to replace red. You just buy a new red and continue happily copying away.[/quote]

Plus if you think buying carts is too expensive try doing refills… however there is the archival ink (pigment based) which costs twice as much as dye based ink (but should still be cheaper than buying factory carts…) but if you dont mind the fade resistence or whatever (you can soak photos printed with archival in water for months and it would still look the same) dye based ink is available as well. And you can buy refillable carts that has an auto-reset chip so dont have to contend with resetting chips every now and then… to refill just remove a rubber stopper, injet and plug it back up, and you’re done.