Prior criminal record will result in expulsion

A Welshman, apparently. Teaching kiddies. Tipped off to the local plod by Interpol as a kiddy fiddler who had gone on the run and concealed his previous form on his visa application, etc. Busted and getting kicked out of the country. Sounds like a charming fellow. Anyone heard anything about this?

Just saw it on the news. Didn’t understand a word, though.

Welsh is a bugger of a language. All consonant clusters and saliva.

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … ety_TAIWAN

That was in 2002, its now 2010 so it took awhile for this to catch up with the guy. Even though there is no report of his doing anything criminal here on the rock. Out he goes.

Funny interpol didnt send out anything until May this year. Wonder if they were tipped off or something? And also , isnt it illegal to be teaching young children?

One can get expelled for teaching at a kindie right?

Unless he is married to a local?

[color=#008000]edit: moved by mod from LiT[/color]

Oh, I thought this was about a violin prodigy. :s

news.msn.com.tw/news1735206.aspx

There’s a picture of the boyo. Worked near 101.

You wouldn’t want to be one of those buxiban owners today. Some serious bowing and pie saying to the parents.

According to the suspect, the sexual assault charge that he was convicted of in England was for living with a 16-year old male prostitute whom he claimed he thought was 18 at the time. He also lost his teaching credentials in England for using corporal punishment.

Why is it that in Taiwan if you wish to get an ARC through marriage one needs to have an criminal record check but if one gets an ARC through a cram school it is not required ? Seems like a pedo working in a cram school would be even more dangerous than a pedo married to local and selling beef noodles or whatever in the local market. Or am I wrong and you folks that work for cram schools have to provide a criminal record check?

Nope. You’re right. And, yes. It’s weird. Like all government related policies in Taiwan. :idunno:

Well soon everyone who wants to work in Taiwan will need a criminal background check.

Now the thing here is , this guy did something wrong back in the day. But apparently he hasnt done anything wrong since that time. And/ or has not done anything wrong in Taiwan.

Other then not having a clean background.

Does his human rights enter into this at all?

Presumably he did something wrong and paid for his crime back home. And if he is set free, shouldnt he be given basic rights unless he violates the law again?

Yes we know that Taiwan doesnt want anyone here with a prior criminal record. But is this a correct policy under basic human law?

There are people who did a crime, did the time and are able to function under the law thereafter. And there are many people who have no prior criminal record who do murder people, etc.

LIke this guy for example. No convictions as yet, but definitely a murderer.

nydailynews.com/news/world/2 … icial.html

Could there be more to the story than was reported? It seems Interpol would only be interested if the man was wanted for something that hasn’t been processed through the courts yet.

[quote=“tommy525”]Well soon everyone who wants to work in Taiwan will need a criminal background check.

Now the thing here is , this guy did something wrong back in the day. But apparently he hasnt done anything wrong since that time. And/ or has not done anything wrong in Taiwan.

Other then not having a clean background.

Does his human rights enter into this at all?

Presumably he did something wrong and paid for his crime back home. And if he is set free, shouldnt he be given basic rights unless he violates the law again?

Yes we know that Taiwan doesnt want anyone here with a prior criminal record. But is this a correct policy under basic human law?

There are people who did a crime, did the time and are able to function under the law thereafter. And there are many people who have no prior criminal record who do murder people, etc.

LIke this guy for example. No convictions as yet, but definitely a murderer.

nydailynews.com/news/world/2 … icial.html[/quote]

I agree with you to an extent however perhaps working with kids would not be his best choice of career. After all that is like an ex drug addict working in a pharmacy !

True that. Reminds me of the Wolf of the chinese cultural univ that raped quite a few girls and wants to be let out so he can … go to college (surrounded by all those college girls again) !!!

NEXT !!!

There was a Forumosan working for I-pol … ask him …

I think the Taiwan law on teacher recruitment is really crazy. If some ex pedo wants to get married and live in another country I think he should be allowed but ex pedos should not be allowed to teach young kids English. This is why I think the law is so crazy here. Come to Taiwan and teach English to little kids with no criminal background check at all but oh if you want to get married and live here or even to work as a taxi driver then you need one!!! :loco:

Therefore the take home message to cram school bosses is only employ foreigners on marriage visas or request all perspective English teachers have a criminal backgorund check before employment and for any teacher from the Uk that is easy to accomplish. Perhaps foreign cram school owners should lead the way on this after all it would be good for marketing. Or would you just lose most of your teachers?

who?
[color=#008000]
Mod: Now now, guys… that might be a sensitive topic, so take that one to PMs, thank you. I will delete any such info posted publicly.[/color]

JFRV applicants need a criminal record check, too. Don’t need it to get married, but you need it if you want the visa.

[quote=“tommy525”]

There are people who did a crime, did the time and are able to function under the law thereafter. [/quote]
For most crimes, I would agree. But all evidence shows that pedophiles are not able to stop being pedophiles; that someone who likes to have sex with children will continue to reoffend, even if caught and punished. Such crimes often go undetected, so just because a known pedophile who has been living in Taiwan for 8 years has not been caught and/or charged in Taiwan, doesn’t mean he has stopped abusing children. If a known pedophile goes to another country and gets a job teaching children, it is obvious he plans to reoffend.

However, in this case, I wonder whether the man is actually a pedophile. Living with a 16-year-old prostitute is not the same as diddling kindergarten students. I’m sure the parents at the school where he teaches are horrified, but maybe he just couldn’t get a job in the UK, so came to Asia to teach. I’d be more concerned if he were found teaching junior high.

I’m pretty sure that there are no criminal record checks if Taiwanese people work with children, either. Totally mental. I wouldn’t want the government to go to the insane lengths that countries such as the UK now go to, but surely some kind of police check for previous convictions for sexual or violent crimes against children should be a given in any developed country?

I entirely agree with your post.

1. yes the UK media has gone over the top with pedophile paranoia recently. So much so that people are even afraid to call a child “sweet” or ruffle their hair as a sign of affection

2. In Taiwan it is the opposite and kids are not protected adequately in education establishements. I was once working at a college for 15 - 18 year olds. One of the male teacher’s asked me into his office to give some friendly man to man advice. To cut a long story short he said " You are a tall white foreigner so it is very dangerous for you here. Whatever you do make sure you don’t sleep with any of our students the consequences if it is found out are heavy". He then went onto to say a Chinese male teacher was having an affair with a 17 year old female student and got caught. So I say “oh my god what happened” he says " well the girl had to change schools and the teacher eventually got fired"! I said to him “that’s all that happened” ? He said “yes he got fired it was a heavy punishment

Geez in the UK he may of had his dick cut off and would at the very least end up on that sex predator list thing