Prison life?

We probably wouldnt need a translation- and we can thank TELEVISION and not 6th grade schooling for that.

Southpaw,

That’s a very good point. I started a thread once in which I asked if any Brits had as much trouble understanding American English as I do understanding British English. I seem to remember that some people pointed out that in England there are many American TV shows which have made it easier for Brits to understand Americans when we speak. Conversely, since there are relatively few shows from England in America, it is possible that many Americans may have some difficulty with British English simply because we may not have been exposed to it that often.
I do think that slang can really be tough for people who have had limited chances to learn it. I have spoken with many Taiwanese people and they have told me that slang and idioms cause them many more problems with comprehension than does formal English. This makes total sense to me.

Obviously I was interested in life in Jail here. Anybody who has done bird knows the lingo wherever they come from. I thought American English was slang!!

Sorry! I can’t translate this one folks.

I am an American with no degree and I figured it out no problem… Maybe because you do not have any experience with what the person is talking about??? I dont know, but I knew what he was talking about without even thinking about it??? Who knows.

Yes, if I had been in prison or was familiar with prison jargon, I guess I would have understood easily. My point was that the average person who was just reading the post, without that background knowledge, would, I believe, find it almost impossible to figure out what it meant.

The post obviously isn’t meant for the average person as it asks for knowledge gained by experience.

Absence of extradition treaties perhaps? You said it yourself, Taiwan is about the last place they’d think to look for you… and even if they did they couldn’t extradite you.

So how do you say, “please pick up the soap for me” in Chinese?

Southpaw, you’re a hoot! I cracked up at your other one too, the one about “no, one does not need personal experience to know this”

here’s prison life in Pingtung.
167 of the 168 hours in a week spent in one’s cell

1 Like

Interesting TT article above. Three times to the dentist? Jesus Christ and General Jackson – pretty soon the lumpenproletariat from the Americas will all want to go to Taiwan jails for the oral freebies. :smile: :smile:

I get kind of annoyed when Liberal Arts Yanks :smile: (this dude is a University of Miami English literature grad) bash their own medical system, which is a beacon of innovation. What country in the world leads in drug development? Oh yeah – the evil capitalist US. :smirk: It certainly ain’t Cuba, Canada, or Taiwan (countries that seem to get bloody good press on their heath care systems although I consider them to be partially adequate at best).

Can see why Scotland did not extradite though in the Zain case—no space in cells, preference for locals in numerous areas, etc. Sounds pretty ghetto. Then again, if u can’t do the time, don’t do the crime! :innocent:

The TT article is a follow up to this alleged crime detailed in the Taiwan News.

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Of course there is no formula for success except perhaps an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings. — Arthur Rubinstein

Anyway, the two-part article was already posted and discussed here:

A terrible misleading article.

Why do you say that?

Because it is talking about detention centre , which is like a holding area.There are magazines and books available without anyone having to buy , but they can buy extra .There is a TV too. Food can be sent in , even KFC. I could reel of 3 pages about it but I won’t, just don’t believe all you read. Most get bail he has been arrested for arson so they can’t release him. If convicted he will work in a factory (if he wants ) , and can do that to make money to buy alternative food. Medical care is a available 48 hours. He will be offered to learn skills for free such as weaving, hair dressing and a myriad more.

1 Like

Wow!

Condemn any hardened criminal to that sort of lifestyle, and that’ll teach them a lesson they’ll never forget!

Can foreigners with APRC get arrested? Or, do we just get deported?

(Asking for a friend, of course. I have no personal desire to get arrested. Of course not.)

3 Likes

Depends what your “friend” was in trouble for, usually they have an exchange program after half the sentence. However, for less serious things they prefer to deport to save money. Although some people would be better off here than in some US prisons or even some British prisons. There is little violence in Taiwan prisons. Unruly prisoners can be placed into a straight jacket and put in solitary with loud Buddist music blaring.
If you’re a tough guy then British prisons are better if you just want to be safe but do menial work for years then Taiwan. Just my opinion that I heard from a friend.

1 Like