Private adoption process

I had sent a PM suggesting that he contact a colleague who has handled a number of foreign adoptions in the past. If you are interested in adopting then send me a PM and I will put you in contact with him. Regarding advice for the thread …

The actual answer will be quite case specific but the short answer is if one resides here then one can contact an adoption service provider to discuss edibility. Licensed Adoption Service Providers in Taiwan:

The Northern Region Children’s Home, Ministry of Interior
No.36, LN. 108, Zhongshan Rd., Luzhu Township, Taoyuan Country 338, Taiwan
The Central Region Children’s Home, Ministry of Interior
No.27, Daming St. west District, Taichung City 40345. Taiwan
The Southern Children’s Home, Ministry of Interior
No.1401, Cueihua Rd., Zuoying District Kaosiung City, 813 Taiwan
Child Welfare League Foundation
7F., No.43, Chang’an W. Rd., Datong Dist, Taipei City 103, Taiwan
Chung Yi Social Welfare Foundation
No.12, Ln. 85, Jingxing Rd., Wenshan Dist., Taipei City 116, Taiwan
Good Shepherd Welfare Services Tainan Babies’ Home
No.12, Lixing St., North Dist., Tainan City 704, Taiwan
The Home of God’s Love
No.36, Ln. 189, Dapi 2 nd Rd., Dongshan Township, Yilan County 269, Taiwan
Christian Salvation Services
7F., No.420, Sec.1, Keelung Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City 110, Taiwan
Tha Garden of Hope Foundation
7F, 75 Roosevelt Rd. Section 2, Taipei 10646, Taiwan
Cathwel Service
No.155, Sec. 2, Beishen Rd., Shenkeng Township, Taipei County 222, Taiwan

Taiwan has requirements and a process - these include roughly: pre-screening, placement, assessments, Children’s Bureau, court hearings, and registration. Taiwan has the following basic requirements for adoptive parents: RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: There are currently no residency requirements that prospective adoptive parents must meet in order to adopt an orphan from Taiwan. AGE REQUIREMENTS: Prospective adoptive parents must be at least twenty years older than the child to be adopted. If married however, the other parent must be at least 16 years older than the adopted child. MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: A married person who adopts a child shall do so jointly with his/her spouse. INCOME REQUIREMENTS: Prospective adoptive parents must have a stable residence, legitimate work, and sufficient financial means.

It is not usually that simple though for foreigners as foreign countries often also have requirements that their citizens need to address before undertaking an adoption in Taiwan or that need to be considered at the outset if they intend to travel with the children within a period following adoption. Dual citizenship and actual residency at the time of adoption can also add or remove a layer to that depending on the countries. Taiwan is also not a party to Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption.

On the status of foreign adoptions today … my understanding is that support for foreign adoption has cooled in Taiwan and the position is something to the effect that where there are sufficient families willing to adopt the available number of children then we would prefer to maintain a child’s cultural ties by placing them with a family in Taiwan. And that there generally are ‘sufficient’ applicants the majority of the time now. That does not mean one cannot adopt as a foreign couple, it just means that there are a lot more variables involved with the process now. And if one parent were Taiwanese then the variables would change again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of that information. I really appreciate it.
It does seem like things have changed here but we will not give up hope.
The main thing that is troubling us is that a lot of the orphanages won’t adopt to someone who isn’t Christian. I think I understand where they are coming from but I wish they would understand that there are a lot of non Christians that would be able to provide a loving home to a little one that needs it. And it’s not like we wouldn’t let our adopted child pursue that path if they so chose to later in life.
Our search continues.
Thanks again for all your help :notworthy:

Why don’t you try contacting the Community Services Center? Their staff are quite professional.

http://www.communitycenter.org.tw/

Ya thanks, we did. We love the people there. The lady in charge of adoptions there is away til August.

Thanks for all the info!!

Buddahian, there is a real need for more info about this on Forumosa - I’d be grateful if you could let us know how you get with your adoption. In the meantime - this is my favourite blog about a successful adoption from Taiwan - she’s such a cutie!

http://oliviapeters.blogspot.com/